Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7 Discussion Thread
Jan 13, 2017 at 2:43 AM Post #2,044 of 2,803
Has anyone heard of MSR7LTD (red colour) counterfeits? Thanks

It wouldn't surprise me at all since the one that I had in black was supplied to the shop by a firm in China. I guess they could equally make red ones too.

Do you suspect that you have a fake? For me, the giveaway was the total lack of bass and severe harshness in the top that you just don't get with the real thing.

I couldn't see anything different about the build so it isn't easy to spot.

One problem is that what you hear kind of matches what some people have written on Head Fi about them so that your expectations are of a low level of bass and a harsh treble. I found the sound very hard to listen to.

Jan 13, 2017 at 3:08 AM Post #2,045 of 2,803
I don't know how to objectively evaluate the origin of MSR7 - but my suspicion comes from somewhat different listening experience: the black ones I've tried in store sounded more full, rich and balanced. The red ones I acquired sounds more harsh in the top end, but I wouldn't say they lack low end on the other hand. Yet somehow I get tired after listening for an hour or so. The package it came in had Chinese on, the build quality is top notch, had all the cables whatnot inside.
So maybe its just a paranoia of sorts or it has to burn in (to which I can hardly believe).
Thanks for reply anyway.

Jan 13, 2017 at 3:21 AM Post #2,046 of 2,803
It was just a coincidence that it was spotted. A friend tried to mod them for me after measuring them and seeing how bad they were.

He found one port cover out of place inside and said that the drivers weren't responding to tweaks very well at all. He posted pictures on our headphone site of the insides and someone came in and told us that they were the incorrect drivers.

So my friend found pics of the real ones and the guy was correct.

Otherwise, it wouldn't have been spotted.

Jan 13, 2017 at 6:53 AM Post #2,048 of 2,803
Yes, it's difficult unless you have a reference.

I listened to my k553 alongside on the same track and it actually has a little more bass than the AKG. The fake had much less. It's also, would you believe it .... a tad rounder sounding than the k553!!

Jan 13, 2017 at 7:18 AM Post #2,049 of 2,803
I'm waiting on FiiO Q1 to arrive, will see if there's going to be an improvement of sorts. Those MSR7 are quite on a bright side or so it feels in my case. By the way comfort is another down side if you have a giant jar on shoulders like I do - there is more than adequate pressure on the bone at the back of ear cups. 

Jan 13, 2017 at 7:27 AM Post #2,050 of 2,803
My ears go in easily so I'm lucky in that the pressure from the cups don't get to me.

Another curious thing that I found was connecting them to a Polaris amp made them sound fuller although the amp is a bit too powerful really for it, even at low power.

The harshness is no longer an issue for me. The fake was just awful to live with because of the treble quantity. I found myself trying to like the headphone but after a while, felt that something was wrong every time I wore it.

The real deal is much more natural.

Let's hope that the Q1 rounds it off a bit for you.

Jan 13, 2017 at 10:11 AM Post #2,052 of 2,803
For the clamping force, it does come quite tight out of the box, try straigten and bend the headband a couple times to lessen it, As it works with AT's M series. The stock pads is alright but I like M70x's more, though unlike M70x, its easy to replace.

Jan 14, 2017 at 5:29 AM Post #2,054 of 2,803
From what I've learned reading this forum I can confirm that mine MSR7LTD are not fake ones.
I guess harshness is just its sound signature of sorts.

a49f11126110c76421a2941fee15830b.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Jan 14, 2017 at 7:18 AM Post #2,055 of 2,803
Ah, no. I meant to say from all of AT's closed headphone that I've tried, from M series and MSR, the feel of the M70x's is the best IMO, though, it has proprietary mechanism to put on, thus only original manufacturer pads when it finally deteriorate, or some modding to fit any 3rd party pads.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back