Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7 Discussion Thread
Jan 7, 2017 at 12:07 PM Post #2,026 of 2,803
It's always worth it to buy from known retailers with long history,
1) For decent help for warranty claim
2) So crap like these doesn't hit you

Good thing the one you deal with are willing to refund you at least.

Jan 7, 2017 at 3:09 PM Post #2,027 of 2,803
I had to threaten legal action with photos first. The company also claimed that there was a two year warranty in their adverts.

On occasions, even Amazon have supposedly put out fakes. Other headphones though. Trouble is that they can easily slip through unnoticed.

It has made me very wary now tbh.

Jan 8, 2017 at 1:43 AM Post #2,028 of 2,803
Buy from reputable source, ie TSAV, WooAudio, in US, Jaben in Asia, etc. Brick and Mortar stores like these have reputation to keep and service to give, if Price difference is relatively insubstantial I'd always choose their options first.
Anyway, thanks for raising this topic and make us aware of the existence of such a convincing counterfeit product.

Jan 8, 2017 at 7:54 PM Post #2,031 of 2,803
I just received my MSR7 gunmetal a few days ago. The sound is absolutely delicious (yes), but I am getting virtually zero sound isolation. I understand that these are ported so they are not 100% sealed, but other reviews I read before buying nearly unanimously described at least mild isolation. When I put these on, they sound just like any other fully open can (and I know all about open cans, owning Grados). Has anyone else experienced dissatisfaction with the (lack of) isolation provided by these headphones?

Jan 9, 2017 at 2:38 AM Post #2,034 of 2,803
hi all

here a recenty owner of this model, msr7

happy with sound, unhappy with sound isolation and comfort (much better sony mdr-1A)

I feel a high pressure after 1 hr 30 aprox. over my head, concentrated in a small area.

What could I do? Im thinking of selling it due to this problems and price comparing sony...

Thanks

Jan 9, 2017 at 9:11 AM Post #2,036 of 2,803
Are your ears actually going right into the cups? If not, then they don't isolate at all and bass is really lacking.

Yes, my ears are fully inside the cups. I have even gone as far as using my hands to press the cups tightly against my head to ensure that the earpads are making full contact on all sides of my head. The bass is quite satisfying, so that also reassures me that I am getting a proper seal. It has that wonderful mix of strong bass on tracks with strong bass and weak bass on tracks with weak bass.

Jan 9, 2017 at 10:45 AM Post #2,038 of 2,803
You can bend the headband slightly to fix this issue. Make the bend a little bit tighter at the top center of the band and then make the bend a little bit flatter on the sides of the band. This will spread the top of head hotspot to be more even across your entire head. Did the trick for me quite nicely. Watch Tyll's Innerfidelity review video to see it being done.

Jan 9, 2017 at 2:47 PM Post #2,040 of 2,803

I listen mostly to 320kbps mp3s and sometime FLACs if I can get album in that format (I'm EDM-head, so choices are limited).

FULLA soundstage is wider/deeper and it has a bit more transparency, a little brighter, a bit more detailed.  This is all relatively speaking, and also due to a higher quality dac and amp used in FULLA.  But its build has sharp edges, hard to get to volume knob, and it uses outdated mini-usb connector.  dSp sounds pretty good, better than E10k or Dragonfly DAC, probably on the same level as Astrapi.  In my opinion, dSp has the best price/performance ratio.

Interesting... not that I give much for the linked website's reviews, but here is the excerpt from their review:

"
"Vast compatibility with a range of devices is the dSp’s selling point, but if it’s purely laptop sound you’re looking to improve, the Audioquest Dragonfly v1.2 (£130) justifies the extra spend with greater clarity and precision.
Read more at  http://www.whathifi.com/hrt/dsp/review#gqMuEyBveJdrH2Lu.99 "

Users who are viewing this thread

Back