Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7 Discussion Thread
Nov 21, 2016 at 4:01 PM Post #1,966 of 2,803
I liked the ma900 but sadly it was just sitting on my head an could fall off and my ears touched the driver or I would have kept it. Wasn't it discontinued? Did they release a new modell ?

Also anyone know how r70x sounds compare to hd650/600 ?

Yes they discontinued that Sony a while back.
The R70X offers a more balanced and "neutral" sound then the HD600, and it has a better type bass response then the HD650.
You know, every headphone offers its own sound., and so, the best headphone sound is the one that offers you what you need to hear.
What a person needs from the sound, dictates which type headphone and which brand headphone they should buy.
Are you listening for analytical truth?.....Are you listening for realism?......Are you looking for extension in the highs or the bass frequency?
As your listening habits evolve, you'll eventually want to hear "inside" the music, like a microscope while also wanting the music to sound beautiful and real.
In some ways, Headphones are like guitars, in that no one model does it all for you.
And then, its also a matter of finance and how much you are willing to spend to get that last 4-5% of resolution and "wow" that a $1500 headphone gives you that a $199 headphone will never give you.
Enter the Audio Tech R70X and the Audio Tech A-1000z and the Sony MDR-7520 and the HiFi Man HE 560 and the Focal Elear.
Depending on your listening taste and bank account, get all these and never look back.
Listen happily ever after !
OR, if you just want affordable realism and reference sound, get the R70X.
If you want affordable analytical clarity and beauty,  then get the AT A-1000Z.
If you want the best affordable closed headphone ever created, then get the very analytical Sony MDR-7520, as it offers extreme realism and pristine clarity, tho the AT-A-1000Z is in its own way, similar, tho with a touch less bass response and detail retrieval.
The HiFi Man HE560 is a different type headphone, and also a great headphone.
The Focal Elear is sort of all of those combined, but you'll pay heartily  for that service:)

And be sure to hook all these up to the Tascam UH-7000, as nothing can touch this gear that isn't a ridiculous price.

Nov 22, 2016 at 11:56 AM Post #1,968 of 2,803
Has anyone tried MSR-7 with velour pads? Have them good/bad impact of the sound?

Sound Professionals (Massdrop) velour earpads increase the soundstage but the sub-bass is rolled off. I got used to it eventually but the upper mids and treble are more emphasized, so I went back to stock pads as my right ear seems more sensitive to sibilance (i only noticed it after a few months).

Nov 24, 2016 at 11:56 PM Post #1,971 of 2,803
Well, it could just be a factory second and still has most of the real components. There were some CKR9 that buyers said sounded identical to legit units with some slight differences in the housing design, but later units from that seller were more obviously fakes. No place has it for Black Friday sale?

Anyways, is there a headphone or IEM like the MSR7 that doesn't have as wide earcups? If I'm lying down in bed or on a sofa the earcups often touch the chair and creates a rustling sound.

How are the SR5's compared to these? Some reviews say they're almost as detailed as the MSR7 but lack bass for a portable on-ear.

Nov 25, 2016 at 10:46 AM Post #1,973 of 2,803
I did try the SR5, on close demo with MSR7 but not A/B ed, it has nice bass, fast and competent, not as tight as MSR7, but good enough, also has the sparkle up high (much better than my IM50 on that regard) and upper mid bump for female vocals. I think it's a good one for an on ear, I'm mid lover so it's obvious that I will definitely choose it over V-Moda XS or Beyer DT150 (both I've tried)

Nov 29, 2016 at 8:57 PM Post #1,975 of 2,803

This doesn't make sense.  The MSR7NC are wired.  I still haven't been able to find an A/B of MSR7 vs MSR7NC.

It's not that uncommon with NC or Bluetooth headphones to sound different than a passive-only counterpart, because the added circuitry and differences in impedance among other things. I haven't tried it but MSR7NC is internally powered, and equalization may be used to compensate for NC. Listening to them passively (that is, no NC or battery power) may be even worse as Lachlan said that about the Sony MDR-100ABN and Bose QC35. Some people also notice DSP artifacts or hissing with NC headphones while others don't mind it.

Nov 30, 2016 at 8:21 AM Post #1,976 of 2,803
  It's not that uncommon with NC or Bluetooth headphones to sound different than a passive-only counterpart, because the added circuitry and differences in impedance among other things. I haven't tried it but MSR7NC is internally powered, and equalization may be used to compensate for NC. Listening to them passively (that is, no NC or battery power) may be even worse as Lachlan said that about the Sony MDR-100ABN and Bose QC35. Some people also notice DSP artifacts or hissing with NC headphones while others don't mind it.

Yeah I wanted to know if there was any difference between the two when unpowered.  I am willing to accept DSP artifacts when I do need NC but wouldn't be using it most of the time.  Still, at current prices, an extra $30 for NC would be useful at times if it didn't affect the unpowered sound.

Edit: Looks like prices are back up to $250/$300 from the $190/$220 of last week.  I'll stick with my MSR7 non NC, but I'm still interested in the differences between the two when not powered.

Dec 2, 2016 at 9:33 AM Post #1,977 of 2,803
Hi everyone,
Just got these... Loving them. Although they suffer from the same issue as the ath-ad700x (when doing the rubberband mod), meaning it starts to hurt on the top on my head.
Have (somewhat) fixed it by bending but haven't got rid of it completely. I saw someone recommending a youtube review where he shows how to bend them and i've been doing just that.
Any other tips?

Another thing, i got these specifically because i'm going to be sharing the office soon and wanted a closed headphone with enough soundstage for competitive fps gaming..
But the "issue" i'm having is that i feel like these are leaking quite a lot still.  Is there anything i can do about that? I'm willing to sacrifice some sq for it... I was thinking other pads maybe?
I have a pair of HD25's that, while i haven't tried it yet, doesn't seem to leak nearly as much as these. I'm actually gonna try it later this evening just to make sure.

Thanks!

Dec 2, 2016 at 10:34 AM Post #1,978 of 2,803

Another thing, i got these specifically because i'm going to be sharing the office soon and wanted a closed headphone with enough soundstage for competitive fps gaming..
But the "issue" i'm having is that i feel like these are leaking quite a lot still.  Is there anything i can do about that? I'm willing to sacrifice some sq for it... I was thinking other pads maybe?
I have a pair of HD25's that, while i haven't tried it yet, doesn't seem to leak nearly as much as these. I'm actually gonna try it later this evening just to make sure.

Thanks!

The MSR7 is actually not fully closed, and looking closely, you will find some vents in the ear cups. Closing them should help, however I am pretty sure that the sound will change by quite a bit.

By the way, the HD 25 is one of the most isolating headphones ever made anyway.

Dec 2, 2016 at 11:08 PM Post #1,979 of 2,803
Just a long-term user chiming in here for anyone who just discovered these amazing pair of headphones, I've been using my pair for nearly 2 years already, and I can attest to the immense value this carries. However, don't expect them to sound the same from when you take them out of the box to about >200-300 hours. I'm sure many of you have heard of the reputation of these being extremely bright with little quantity in bass, albeit with good quality, but after a long time of using these for music and gaming, it's equalised to become rather neutral, the treble has tamed quite a fair bit compared to when I remembered it, and the bass quantity has gone up quite a fair bit, but not so much so that it bleeds and muddies the whole experience. 

For new users, don't be disappointed with it when you first get them! You really need to use it for a long time before they become more mature (in some way)

Dec 3, 2016 at 12:31 AM Post #1,980 of 2,803

The MSR7 is actually not fully closed, and looking closely, you will find some vents in the ear cups. Closing them should help, however I am pretty sure that the sound will change by quite a bit.

By the way, the HD 25 is one of the most isolating headphones ever made anyway.

Yea i noticed that when i first got them. We did some testing earlier this evening and found out that, while they leaked a little bit, it was hardly noticeable for the other user.
So my worries were unfounded anyhow...

Hehe yea i know, it was stupid to compare them now in retrospect.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back