Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7 Discussion Thread
Nov 18, 2016 at 3:52 PM Post #1,952 of 2,803
Depends on what you want better. The SR9 does not come out until Nov.25. Hard to say what audio improvements it will have over the MSR7. The SR9 has the same driver size as the MSR7 but with a coating added to it. The impedance of the voice coil is a bit higher as well.  Not sure if the ear cups are any larger or not. Time will tell and I will be watching for details on this new model.

Nov 18, 2016 at 5:19 PM Post #1,953 of 2,803
I did find one site that has the review of the SR9 and it states that the SR9 is a combination of the MSR7 and ATH-WS 1100.

"I thought it was the sound that upgraded ATH-MSR 7 completely according to the model number, it also had the features of ATH-WS 1100"

https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=ja&u=http://www.phileweb.com/review/article/201611/18/2297.html&prev=search

Nov 18, 2016 at 10:07 PM Post #1,954 of 2,803
It seems to imply that the bass is too airy and not that much better than the MSR7. There was an earlier positive impression a few months back but the SR9 could become as polarizing as the M70x which seems get a lot of love-hate over whether its sounds flat or treble-heavy...

I've only tried the WS1100 briefly a few times - thought it was more comfortable than the MSR7 but it had more of a midbass emphasis than sub-bass, while highs were more tame, but still extended fairly well. 

Also a bummer about the proprietary cable but at least it should reduce crackling sounds when the cable is tugged (like on MSR7)

Nov 19, 2016 at 8:55 AM Post #1,955 of 2,803
Haha yeah the M70x is quite unique and polarizing.. The best Audio Technica I've ever tried IMO

Nov 19, 2016 at 6:43 PM Post #1,956 of 2,803
   the M70x which seems get a lot of love-hate over whether its sounds flat or treble-heavy...

Let me assure you that the M70x will fry eggs in the shell with all their treble response.
I would assume that people who have used a too loud car stereo way too long resulting in ears that have high freq loss,  will say these headphones are " perfect."
But i can assure you that compared to the long and extensive list of headphones i have in my user profile list, the M70x are tops among the most searing regarding their Treble response.
These things make HE 560s sound flat by comparison.
The good news is.....is you get stuck with a set, then give them back and get the ATH -1000z's instead.
You'll be glad you did.
Or even better, get the Sony 7520's if you are looking for the best closed (analytical) headphone value that has ever existed.
The Sony's combine a satisfyingly surgical and beautiful sound, completely unlike the sonic signature of  any other headphone.
Unrivaled clarity at even 3x their price.

Nov 21, 2016 at 10:29 AM Post #1,958 of 2,803
I don't get that "muddy midbass" remark, It has good extension and punch thnugh with lower quantity than I'd like, yes, but a simple bass boost switch would easily fix that.
For M70x treble, I only ever compare it (studio cans) with M40x, which is a bit peaky for me, and SRH 840 which is a bit more laid back in that regard (not rolled off, just a bit too colored maybe?), though have more punch and energy on the bass.
For me the M70x strikes a perfect balance in treble, with characteristic of both smooth and clear, also the best mids out of the three.
That is my impression, so YMMV.. Maybe I'm just not particularly sensitive with the frequecy that make the "searing" you talked about.

Nov 21, 2016 at 10:29 AM Post #1,959 of 2,803
Double posted

Nov 21, 2016 at 10:36 AM Post #1,960 of 2,803
Mind you, my daily driver is Sony MDR MA900, which sound characteristic is minimalist, warm, big soundstage, sweet mids, and forgiving highs, all for long term listening comfort. So it's not like I have a particular fetish with treble heavy cans, though I do love my SR60e on some occasions on particular music.

Nov 21, 2016 at 10:49 AM Post #1,961 of 2,803
  Your profile says Audio Technica ATH-R70x (THE BEST)

I also have Sony 7520 which is far better than the M70X with less muddy midbass. I gave my M70X to my piano friend.

Yes,

R70x, "the best".
For a couple of reasons.....
With regards to cost effectiveness and value, then the R70x are "the best" because they do everything right.
But keep in mind, im talking about natural and accurate sound representation, which is not what everyone prefers or considers "best".
"Reference sound" is what they offer.
And at their price range they cant be touched in this regard.
I also have the Sony's you mentioned., and i love them as they are so pristine and analytical and 3D.
The Sony's are my favorite headphone, however, the R70X are still the "best".
I have a Thread here that i posted about the Sony's...
You might check it out.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/826363/affordable-happiness

Nov 21, 2016 at 11:01 AM Post #1,962 of 2,803
Ahaha, agree, the R70x has impeccable performance for the price it has.
I did do an A/B between the two (MA900 and R70x) and the AT wins in technicality and energy, but being more neutral, I like the Sony more, its more emotive IMO, mostly due to its more forwad mids (I Think I'm midhead) and much vaster soumdstage.

Nov 21, 2016 at 11:17 AM Post #1,963 of 2,803
Ahaha, agree, the R70x has impeccable performance for the price it has.
I did do an A/B between the two (MA900 and R70x) and the AT wins in technicality and energy, but being more neutral, I like the Sony more, its more emotive IMO, mostly due to its more forwad mids (I Think I'm midhead) and much vaster soumdstage.

Yes,

that is exactly what i also think.
I love the Sony MA900s.
They are so comfortable, sound great, and are so "neutral".
I find that the ATH-R70x and the Sony MA990's are Sympatico.
That is, if you like the Sony RA900, then you'll "hear" that the ATH-R70x sounds like an upgraded Sony MA900.
Its as if the sound designer of the R70x really liked the MA900's sound and added just a little more bass extension and treble energy to it and created the Sony MA900.
Both of these headphones are fantastic.

Nov 21, 2016 at 11:24 AM Post #1,964 of 2,803
Ah yeah, a bit confused with your naming of the model, but I get what you mean.

Nov 21, 2016 at 12:15 PM Post #1,965 of 2,803
I liked the ma900 but sadly it was just sitting on my head an could fall off and my ears touched the driver or I would have kept it. Wasn't it discontinued? Did they release a new modell ?

Also anyone know how r70x sounds compare to hd650/600 ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back