Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7 Discussion Thread
Apr 23, 2016 at 3:14 AM Post #1,501 of 2,803
Fellow MSR7 owners, hear this song up loud through them. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-W0Lcc-SFUs
The bass isn't something about the MSR7 that stands out, but it's so powerful in this song. 

Apr 23, 2016 at 10:07 AM Post #1,503 of 2,803
  Riposte, thank you for description and information. Does M70x has own theards? I can't find it and I would very willingly read more about it.

Dunno. Maybe this? http://www.head-fi.org/t/751917/audio-technica-debuts-three-new-pairs-of-headphones-ath-r70x-ath-m70x-and-ath-m50xdg/330

Apr 24, 2016 at 1:20 PM Post #1,504 of 2,803
Soon considering to buy black model from Amazon.co.uk. Any things I should take into consideration? Are aftermarket pads something I should take into consideration?

And furthermore, there are two listings of the black model on Amazon, however I'm not sure if it's the same.
Here, and here.

The price is also slightly fluctuating. I'm not interested in the NC model, incidentally.

Apr 24, 2016 at 4:15 PM Post #1,505 of 2,803
Here is much expensive, but import from Japan, so it would be "made in Japan", not "made in China".

http://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-ATH-MSR7-BK-Resolution-Headphone/dp/B00OTAE2B0

Is it possible to buy hardshell case for MSR7, for example like has M70x? I'm interested only case from Audio-Technica.

Apr 24, 2016 at 5:56 PM Post #1,506 of 2,803
  Here is much expensive, but import from Japan, so it would be "made in Japan", not "made in China".

http://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-ATH-MSR7-BK-Resolution-Headphone/dp/B00OTAE2B0

Is it possible to buy hardshell case for MSR7, for example like has M70x? I'm interested only case from Audio-Technica.

No, the Japan import is also made in China.

Apr 24, 2016 at 9:09 PM Post #1,507 of 2,803
  No, the Japan import is also made in China.

So how does the local and international/Japanese version differ?
I am assuming that the two listings that I've linked differ in that sense (versions, in UK amazon it doesn't show international/local, however it does show on US amazon, and amazon itself dispatches the local version of the headphone), I will buy the pricier one as sent by Amazon, however I want to know the differences between the two versions.

Apr 24, 2016 at 9:11 PM Post #1,508 of 2,803

So how does the local and international/Japanese version differ?
I am assuming that the two listings that I've linked differ in that sense (versions, in UK amazon it doesn't show international/local, however it does show on US amazon, and amazon itself dispatches the local version of the headphone), I will buy the pricier one as sent by Amazon, however I want to know the differences between the two versions.

There's absolutely no difference. Just how amazon does things for some reason.

Apr 24, 2016 at 10:03 PM Post #1,509 of 2,803
In the case of AKG I've seen no difference between stuffs made in Austria and made in China. The only company where "made in..." makes a difference is Grado, and  if you follow that company you'd see that their QC is a little bit ridiculous. No 2 Grados sound the same.

Apr 30, 2016 at 7:12 PM Post #1,510 of 2,803
Anybody have suggestions for cushioning the headband? I was wearing them for 2-3 hours watching movies yesterday and ended up with a massive headache (maybe also because I'm sick and didn't get much sleep) I know there are some headband cushions available but which ones actually work with the MSR7?

May 1, 2016 at 12:47 AM Post #1,511 of 2,803
  Anybody have suggestions for cushioning the headband? I was wearing them for 2-3 hours watching movies yesterday and ended up with a massive headache (maybe also because I'm sick and didn't get much sleep) I know there are some headband cushions available but which ones actually work with the MSR7?

Try stretching out the head band. I don't use anything and it's fine. The out of box clamping is a bit heavy for some folks.

May 1, 2016 at 10:04 AM Post #1,512 of 2,803
Anyone here own the MSR7 and B&O H6? or maybe have used both enough to comment? I'm looking for a good portable headphone that can fold the cups flat. The H6 is ok, but various issues with the sound have me hesitating. However, it is my threshold for how much treble I can live with, as its the most treble I can still enjoy. Do you find one of these headphones brighter than the other?

Edit: I suppose comparisons to DT-880 would suffice, as they had a bit too much treble for me, and I own/am selling a pair. If you're interested PM me 
biggrin.gif

May 1, 2016 at 4:51 PM Post #1,513 of 2,803
  Try stretching out the head band. I don't use anything and it's fine. The out of box clamping is a bit heavy for some folks.

I've used them for over 4 months now, so I would assume the headband has stretched well enough. I just want something that gives more cushioning and can also protect the headband from wearing out (it so far hasn't, whereas my M50x headband wore out pretty fast)

May 1, 2016 at 4:57 PM Post #1,514 of 2,803
Okay, they came in.
I'm absolutely stunned. I used Havi B3 Pro 1 as my daily portable and Sennheiser HD600 as my daily at home.

Very prominent lows, articulate and strong. Midrange is flat and not as lush as the Sennie or Havi mids, however they aren't overly thin or hollow akin to Beyerdynamic mids.
Treble is forward and the detail and separation is absolutely spectacular. I am one day in and I am stunned.
Comfort and general fit is a weak spot however I can live with it once I reduce the clamp by wearing it.

From the beginning I've always been interested by this headphone from it's stellar looks and promotional material, and how Audiotechnica has taken the design approach on this headphone. Slightly oldschool and Japanese, yet very modern and refined.

I'll look forward to using this as a critical listening can, whereas using my HD600 for more casual, relaxed listening.

I've used them for over 4 months now, so I would assume the headband has stretched well enough. I just want something that gives more cushioning and can also protect the headband from wearing out (it so far hasn't, whereas my M50x headband wore out pretty fast)

I tried out Brainwavz Pleather/memory foam pads, and while they are comfy as all hell, I found it to ruin the signature. Made the MSR7 more sibilant, slightly drawn back in the mids and less bassy. Toilet paper wedged in the driver supposedly helps. Would recommend you keep stock pads unless you have larger ears.

May 1, 2016 at 6:01 PM Post #1,515 of 2,803
  Okay, they came in.
I'm absolutely stunned. I used Havi B3 Pro 1 as my daily portable and Sennheiser HD600 as my daily at home.

Very prominent lows, articulate and strong. Midrange is flat and not as lush as the Sennie or Havi mids, however they aren't overly thin or hollow akin to Beyerdynamic mids.
Treble is forward and the detail and separation is absolutely spectacular. I am one day in and I am stunned.
Comfort and general fit is a weak spot however I can live with it once I reduce the clamp by wearing it.

From the beginning I've always been interested by this headphone from it's stellar looks and promotional material, and how Audiotechnica has taken the design approach on this headphone. Slightly oldschool and Japanese, yet very modern and refined.

I'll look forward to using this as a critical listening can, whereas using my HD600 for more casual, relaxed listening.

I tried out Brainwavz Pleather/memory foam pads, and while they are comfy as all hell, I found it to ruin the signature. Made the MSR7 more sibilant, slightly drawn back in the mids and less bassy. Toilet paper wedged in the driver supposedly helps. Would recommend you keep stock pads unless you have larger ears.

when you say the mids aren't overly thin like Beyers, is there a particular model you're referring to? I made a post above, and I'm trying to figure out if these are for me

Users who are viewing this thread

Back