Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7 Discussion Thread
Mar 16, 2016 at 6:35 AM Post #1,427 of 2,803
I'm thinking about buying a set of headphones around the 200-300€ price point and I'm stuck on the comparison of these vs. Astro a50s.

I do quite a bit of PS4 and PC gaming but I also listen to music and watch a lot of movies. I'm not too bothered with the fact that of course the Audio Technicas don't have a microphone as I'm more interested in the sound quality. Are the a50s any good in sound quality compared to these? Also I would like to know if the Audio Technicas are well suited for gaming as that would probably be the most likely use for me for the headphones?

Thanks a lot for your answers in advance!

Mar 16, 2016 at 7:17 AM Post #1,428 of 2,803
  I'm thinking about buying a set of headphones around the 200-300€ price point and I'm stuck on the comparison of these vs. Astro a50s.

I do quite a bit of PS4 and PC gaming but I also listen to music and watch a lot of movies. I'm not too bothered with the fact that of course the Audio Technicas don't have a microphone as I'm more interested in the sound quality. Are the a50s any good in sound quality compared to these? Also I would like to know if the Audio Technicas are well suited for gaming as that would probably be the most likely use for me for the headphones?

MSR7 included cable with inline mic so can be plugged to DS4

Mar 16, 2016 at 10:03 AM Post #1,429 of 2,803

SQ wise, the A50 aren't up to the MSR7. Like most gaming headphones, their sound quality is far less than their price tag. I haven't used them extensively, but they didn't impress me much for $300. You could get something just as good for $100-150 and add a modmic. For gaming, I'd rather go open headphones than closed, but the MSR7 does have great imaging and works very well as far as closed headphones go with games. Also like riposte says, they have an included cable with mic. 

Mar 16, 2016 at 10:23 AM Post #1,430 of 2,803

MSR7 included cable with inline mic so can be plugged to DS4

Okay thanks for the information, that is a nice add.

SQ wise, the A50 aren't up to the MSR7. Like most gaming headphones, their sound quality is far less than their price tag. I haven't used them extensively, but they didn't impress me much for $300. You could get something just as good for $100-150 and add a modmic. For gaming, I'd rather go open headphones than closed, but the MSR7 does have great imaging and works very well as far as closed headphones go with games. Also like riposte says, they have an included cable with mic. 

I've recently discovered on the internet that gaming headphones are mostly overpriced and aren't up to the level of "normal" headphones in sound quality. I believe some gaming headphones do have a more "situational" sound in order to make better use of them in first person shooters but I could also be wrong. As I don't really play anything competitively I'm probably going to buy the Audio-Technicas and enjoy my smooth music sounds as well as a good gaming experience.

Thanks for the advice!

Mar 17, 2016 at 2:17 AM Post #1,431 of 2,803

Okay thanks for the information, that is a nice add.
I've recently discovered on the internet that gaming headphones are mostly overpriced and aren't up to the level of "normal" headphones in sound quality. I believe some gaming headphones do have a more "situational" sound in order to make better use of them in first person shooters but I could also be wrong. As I don't really play anything competitively I'm probably going to buy the Audio-Technicas and enjoy my smooth music sounds as well as a good gaming experience.

Thanks for the advice!

Check the madlustenvy's thread for gaming headphones:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/534479/mad-lust-envys-headphone-gaming-guide-2-16-2016-fostex-th-600-creative-jam-notes-added

The MSR7 do have fairly wide soundstage, however not bigger than any open-back headphones out there. You might also want to check the ATH-A900x, if you're in the market for closed cans.

Mar 17, 2016 at 4:19 AM Post #1,432 of 2,803
Hi,

Just got bayerdynamic custom one pro plus (COP+),
and wondering if should exchange them for ATH MSR7.
My focus is using them for 1. PC music (tidal) 2. PC gaming with virtual surround.

I consider this strongly as a) I dont see much improvement over my 5.1 kave headset
b) using "custom art music one" iems as portable with amp every day and they just blow away COP+ in sound quality.

How do they compare in short, maybe someone had both? (MLE and Nameless threads is where I did my research).
So far my findings:

Isolation
COP+ > ATH MSR7

Cables
COP+ < ATH MSR7

Bass
COP+ > ATH MSR7

Detail/less forgiving
COP+ < ATH MSR7

DAC + Amp requirements [I put 500 usd limit]
COP+ (not much needed)
ATH MSR7 (higher gains with warm signature dac/amp combo)

Positioning, non-competitive gaming and virtual surround fit
COP+ ? ATH MSR7

I have titanium card (analogue/toslink capable) + portable amp currently in loop,
but consider geting schiit stack to drive those (COP+ is only 16 Ohms). 

regards,
R

Mar 17, 2016 at 9:53 AM Post #1,433 of 2,803
  Hi,

Just got bayerdynamic custom one pro plus (COP+),
and wondering if should exchange them for ATH MSR7.
My focus is using them for 1. PC music (tidal) 2. PC gaming with virtual surround.

I consider this strongly as a) I dont see much improvement over my 5.1 kave headset
b) using "custom art music one" iems as portable with amp every day and they just blow away COP+ in sound quality.

How do they compare in short, maybe someone had both? (MLE and Nameless threads is where I did my research).
So far my findings:

Isolation
COP+ > ATH MSR7

Cables
COP+ < ATH MSR7

Bass
COP+ > ATH MSR7

Detail/less forgiving
COP+ < ATH MSR7

DAC + Amp requirements [I put 500 usd limit]
COP+ (not much needed)
ATH MSR7 (higher gains with warm signature dac/amp combo)

Positioning, non-competitive gaming and virtual surround fit
COP+ ? ATH MSR7

I have titanium card (analogue/toslink capable) + portable amp currently in loop,
but consider geting schiit stack to drive those (COP+ is only 16 Ohms). 

regards,
R

Never had the COP, but I would point out that the MSR7 doesn't have much of an amp requirement either and unless it's a really, really bad source, I've never had any issue straight from laptops or media devices. They are very pure and will reflect the characteristics of your source and amp, but they also sound great from just about anything.

Mar 17, 2016 at 11:06 PM Post #1,434 of 2,803
Which amps do they sound less bright and warmer with?

So far I've only tried them on Fiio E10K and Sony Xperia Z5. On both they sound "crisp" without much warmth, maybe a tad brighter on the Z5. Really surprised how well it sounds overall on the Z5 as the amp is only 0.35V, but these are loud enough at the maximum volume.

Mar 27, 2016 at 1:13 AM Post #1,436 of 2,803
I have the Sony 1 A.  Before I bought it, I wanted to hear the MSR 7 first, but it I never found one to listen to. As it was said the Sony was more comfortable, and the AT tiring and sometimes too bright, I decided then to buy the sony.

Now the Sony, has a great soundstage, a very analog sound. My ATH ES 7 , I owned before, was much brighter, and had a tighter bass.  But is it my aging ears (I am 56), but even if I hear a lot of details in production, I not like the SLOW bass of the A 1. Beware, I say slow and not overwhelming.

Now I was in Bangkok a few days ago and there was a ATH MSR7 on display. Unfortunately, I had not my FIIO X3 players , first and second generation with me, but only my old Nokia phone. This has a more powerful and warmer signature then today's smartphones, but lacks speed and treble. I listen to them anyway, and was surprised by the tight and strong bass. It was maybe stronger then on the sony, but more pleasant because more in control.  Soundstage seemed very good too, but then again, I not had a decent player (although that Nokia always was pleasant). 

Can people here give their impressions, about the difference of the two cans, and if the comfort of the ATH is less, and it is more tiring?  If the ATH, would give me more pleasure, I could still go for it....The Sony are good cans, don't get me wrong, but I found them a bit dull, and even if I like a warm analog sound, it is just a bit too lazy for me.

Mar 29, 2016 at 1:17 PM Post #1,437 of 2,803
  I have the Sony 1 A.  Before I bought it, I wanted to hear the MSR 7 first, but it I never found one to listen to. As it was said the Sony was more comfortable, and the AT tiring and sometimes too bright, I decided then to buy the sony.

Now the Sony, has a great soundstage, a very analog sound. My ATH ES 7 , I owned before, was much brighter, and had a tighter bass.  But is it my aging ears (I am 56), but even if I hear a lot of details in production, I not like the SLOW bass of the A 1. Beware, I say slow and not overwhelming.

Now I was in Bangkok a few days ago and there was a ATH MSR7 on display. Unfortunately, I had not my FIIO X3 players , first and second generation with me, but only my old Nokia phone. This has a more powerful and warmer signature then today's smartphones, but lacks speed and treble. I listen to them anyway, and was surprised by the tight and strong bass. It was maybe stronger then on the sony, but more pleasant because more in control.  Soundstage seemed very good too, but then again, I not had a decent player (although that Nokia always was pleasant). 

Can people here give their impressions, about the difference of the two cans, and if the comfort of the ATH is less, and it is more tiring?  If the ATH, would give me more pleasure, I could still go for it....The Sony are good cans, don't get me wrong, but I found them a bit dull, and even if I like a warm analog sound, it is just a bit too lazy for me.

I own the MSR7 and I tried the MDR-1A at a local. My first impression when trying the Sony's is that the signature is much darker than msr7,  with my combo Fiio X1+Q1, the bass of 1A is overwhelming, much more in quantity compared to the msr7, soundstage is about the same. For me the msr7 has much better clarity and detail, bass is definitely tighter and well defined than 1A.

Msr7 being a bright can, pairing it with Fiio's daps is quite good because Fiio's warmer signature will round down the brightness of msr7. At first I didn't like the brightness of msr7 but eventually I love it so much that it became my preference signature :) (I listen to msr7 with both fiio x1 and x5II and both of them sound great, x5II have more clarity though).

As for the comfort, msr7 can be pretty tiring and it can get a little hot on the tip of my head, I can go no longer than 2 hour listening without taking it off for a break. The clamping force is tight so it is better to first stretch the can over a box or a ball for better comfort.

Mar 29, 2016 at 1:35 PM Post #1,438 of 2,803
  I own the MSR7 and I tried the MDR-1A at a local. My first impression when trying the Sony's is that the signature is much darker than msr7,  with my combo Fiio X1+Q1, the bass of 1A is overwhelming, much more in quantity compared to the msr7, soundstage is about the same. For me the msr7 has much better clarity and detail, bass is definitely tighter and well defined than 1A.

Msr7 being a bright can, pairing it with Fiio's daps is quite good because Fiio's warmer signature will round down the brightness of msr7. At first I didn't like the brightness of msr7 but eventually I love it so much that it became my preference signature :) (I listen to msr7 with both fiio x1 and x5II and both of them sound great, x5II have more clarity though).

As for the comfort, msr7 can be pretty tiring and it can get a little hot on the tip of my head, I can go no longer than 2 hour listening without taking it off for a break. The clamping force is tight so it is better to first stretch the can over a box or a ball for better comfort.

I had the same assessment of both cans. I would say the comfort is better on the MDR1A but that's about the only thing I'd say is better. There are some steps you can take to mitigate the discomfort, like the stretch mentioned above. You can also stuff some rolled paper towel in the back of the cups to increase the soundstage width and keep the drivers off your ears.

Mar 29, 2016 at 5:15 PM Post #1,439 of 2,803
So I can scratch MDR1A off of my to-try list as MSR7 is that much better anyway, eh?

I wonder if M50x/M70x's drivers are related to MSR7's.

Slightly different impedance, though same size and look.

Mar 29, 2016 at 10:47 PM Post #1,440 of 2,803
In a way the M50x is the opposite of the MSR7. The M50x is clearly v-shaped while the MSR7 is mid-centric (though quite bright overall). So I don't think they're related. 

Even the M70x sounds significantly to the M50x too

Users who are viewing this thread

Back