Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7 Discussion Thread
Dec 20, 2015 at 10:34 PM Post #1,217 of 2,803
Puppy got to my headphonnes, chewed up the earpads. I ordered a set of the brainwavz replacement earpads which fit the MSR7, the leather brown set (not velour). The sound isn't terribly different, maybe a bit less intimate. I read a few complaining of headphones creaking, I'm getting that with the new earpads when they are extended to sit a bit lower (where I usually like them). For them to not creak I have to decrease headband extension to almost a not-so-comfortable level. Also, even though the they are around ears, I find their size works against comfort, and certainly aesthetic quality of these headphones. You do feel like you have a bulkier headphone on. I'd skip them.. I've contacted AT to see how much a replacement set of the OEM pads are. 

Dec 20, 2015 at 11:05 PM Post #1,218 of 2,803
In Japan, MSR7  earpads price is 2700 yen, so maybe around 23 USD
http://www.e-earphone.jp/shop/shopdetail.html?brandcode=000000061851&search=msr7&sort=recommend

Dec 21, 2015 at 1:23 PM Post #1,220 of 2,803
  Puppy got to my headphonnes, chewed up the earpads. I ordered a set of the brainwavz replacement earpads which fit the MSR7, the leather brown set (not velour). The sound isn't terribly different, maybe a bit less intimate. I read a few complaining of headphones creaking, I'm getting that with the new earpads when they are extended to sit a bit lower (where I usually like them). For them to not creak I have to decrease headband extension to almost a not-so-comfortable level. Also, even though the they are around ears, I find their size works against comfort, and certainly aesthetic quality of these headphones. You do feel like you have a bulkier headphone on. I'd skip them.. I've contacted AT to see how much a replacement set of the OEM pads are. 

I had no problem with the brainwavz pads they are softer for me they seal better.
The sound is the same for me like the with the original pads.
MSR7 are my commute phones my A900x need a amp so these are much better less bulk.
MSR7 not bad on my 6s Plus lot of air not bassy but not as good as stated below.
MSR7 and DX50 great combo!

Dec 22, 2015 at 3:51 PM Post #1,221 of 2,803

I had no problem with the brainwavz pads they are softer for me they seal better.
MSR7 are my commute phones my A900x need a amp so these are much better less bulk.
MSR7 not bad on my 6s Plus lot of air not bassy but not as good as stated below.

Different strokes for different folks I suppose. On that, ATHUSA won't be getting any earpads in until next month. I don't suppose you have the gunmetal variant with the brown earpads, want to sell me the original earpads?

Dec 22, 2015 at 11:39 PM Post #1,223 of 2,803

I'm going to keep them for back up.

wise choice 
tongue_smile.gif

Dec 25, 2015 at 4:31 AM Post #1,224 of 2,803

Are these the pads you're refering to?
http://www.amazon.com/Brainwavz-Velor-Memory-Replacements-Earpads/dp/B00MFDX4YO

Dec 25, 2015 at 10:23 AM Post #1,226 of 2,803
How do Sound Professionals M50 earpads sound on MSR7? They have a much smaller bore and were designed to maintain the M50's sounds signature, although I do notice a slight dip in sub-bass and highs

Dec 25, 2015 at 11:43 PM Post #1,227 of 2,803
  Are these the pads you're refering to?
http://www.amazon.com/Brainwavz-Velor-Memory-Replacements-Earpads/dp/B00MFDX4YO

No
Mine are leather more like these     http://www.amazon.com/Brainwavz-Replacement-Memory-Foam-Earpads/dp/B00MFDT894/ref=pd_sim_23_1?ie=UTF8&dpID=41vuwIZESZL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_&refRID=0N4GSHXDC7GA4RFTE722

Dec 27, 2015 at 1:56 AM Post #1,228 of 2,803
My MSR7s arrived today and now I'm pissed. Not about the phones- they sound great. So great that after listening to some of my favorite songs on the MSR7s and then my home speakers, I can clearly hear a rattle that tells me one of the woofers is blown. I knew it was starting to go, but now it's painfully obvious after listening to the tightly controlled bass on the ATs.

One thing I noticed- The sound is less bright going through a headphone amp (an old Bithead portable) compared to my iPhone 6. Straight off the phone it is a little too bright. With the amp it's nicer. The Bithead is nothing special so I'm looking forward to seeing how it will sound on a Teac HA-50P I ordered.

Beyond that, not to much to add that hasn't already been said. The sound is very detailed and clear. Pretty neutral sounding to my ears but capable of delivering deep, solid bass when asked. You can definitely hear any flaws in the original recording thanks to an abundance of detail, but very faithful reproduction.

Dec 27, 2015 at 12:06 PM Post #1,229 of 2,803
My MSR7s arrived today and now I'm pissed. Not about the phones- they sound great. So great that after listening to some of my favorite songs on the MSR7s and then my home speakers, I can clearly hear a rattle that tells me one of the woofers is blown. I knew it was starting to go, but now it's painfully obvious after listening to the tightly controlled bass on the ATs.

One thing I noticed- The sound is less bright going through a headphone amp (an old Bithead portable) compared to my iPhone 6. Straight off the phone it is a little too bright. With the amp it's nicer. The Bithead is nothing special so I'm looking forward to seeing how it will sound on a Teac HA-50P I ordered.

Beyond that, not to much to add that hasn't already been said. The sound is very detailed and clear. Pretty neutral sounding to my ears but capable of delivering deep, solid bass when asked. You can definitely hear any flaws in the original recording thanks to an abundance of detail, but very faithful reproduction.

Sorry about your Woofers I know how it feels when something dies on you
frown.gif

My Promedia 5.1 amp died had for many years.
You describe the MSR7 the same way i see it. Especially with the Iphone 6 I have the Iphone 6s.

Dec 27, 2015 at 9:07 PM Post #1,230 of 2,803

I'd take the woofer out and check it. A blown woofer should be pretty apparent, there shouldn't be thought of "maybe it's blown and maybe it's not". The quick way to check would be to gently press the woofer in (be careful to not damage dustcap, push around it), if it sticks or hesitates (if you feel a fair amount of resistance) in its movement then it's blown, if not.. Might just need to be refoamed, which can be done by your local stereo shop, check your local craigslist! Rattles can also often be something loose within the speaker, whether it's something that got in through an open port, or maybe an internal part becoming loose. Best of luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back