Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7 Discussion Thread
Dec 11, 2015 at 9:39 AM Post #1,201 of 2,803
Dont mind me saying this but you seem strangely biased towards the r70x when you compare it towards the msr7, saying how artificial the msr7 is and how the r70x is leaps and bounds ahead of the msr7.You also make wild claims how the r70c can be more detailed than the msr7 should the sound signature be the same.Bow most of your wild claims are entirely subjective and based on your findings from listening to them both.

The reason i say that the MSR7 is a great sounding headphone, but is ultimately inferior to the R70X, is based on fact that is based on experience.
Go and look at my profile page, and note my experience with Headphones.
So, its not "apples and oranges" regarding the difference between the MSR7 and the R70X, but rather it is "night and day".
These 2 headphone have nothing in common as one is a consumer effort gear and one is a Pro audio gear.
They really cant be thought of as even existing for the same reason, as the MSR7 is designed as an affordable and great sounding consumer headphone, and the R70X is designed as a pro reference gear.
They are both headphones, but the similarities end there, and that is not a subjective comment.....thats a fact.

Dec 11, 2015 at 10:57 AM Post #1,202 of 2,803
As you said, you think that the r70x is superior.Thus, it is your opinion, not fact.If you are going to judge headphone based on one being neutral, and the other being coloured, you might as well say that the r70x is better than any hifiman, audeze and sennheiser.After all, all coloured headphones are targeted at consumers.Youre not addressing their technical capability using graphs to bak up your claim that the r70x is more resolving should both have the same sound signature.The reason why i brought this up is that you seem to want to shove the 'r70x is better' belief.

Dec 11, 2015 at 1:50 PM Post #1,203 of 2,803
I disagree.Open back headphones, on the contrary, is capable of producing a far mroe detailed sound.One reason that dictates this is the fact that it is open backed, thus any sound created by the diaphragm is able to 'escape', and will not reverberate, as is the case in close back headphones.Reverberation is one core reason which causes closed back headphone to sound less detailed, and have a smaller soundstage.Even the most detailed headphpnes like the stax Sr009, hd800 and orpheus are open back

I do prefer the sound of open headphones because they sound more spacious and natural with much better timbre and soundstage. However in my experience closed headphones do give the subjective impression of greater detail. Perhaps this is because they block out any background noise, even if it's very slight, that might mask soft micro details. I also find that IEMs push the details forward more because the drivers are closer to your ears. But when I listen to music for pleasure, nothing beats a good open headphone.

When using  headphones to "mix", ...the ideal headphone is going to not exaggerate the sonics in the track or tracks, and in this way you dont overcompensate the EQ when you mix.
So, any headphone, such as the MSR7 that has a tendency to slightly exaggerate the treble and the bass will cause you to overcompensate your EQ'ing regarding how you balance your track or tracks.
That is exactly what you dont want.
This is why you want a headphone that is a "reference" sound, (R70X) a natural and balanced and non-artificial representation of what you are actually hearing in a mix, so that any EQ compensation you do will be accurate as that is the goal if you are going to use Headphones to mix.
This is why you buy GOOD studio monitors that are "flat" and not a studio monitor set that will give you a very good tho false reading of the sound, similar to what you get with the  excellent M7R7s.

The best headphone to use for mixing is one with the sound signature that you're used to and sounds natural to you. If you're a basshead who's used to listening to heavily exaggerated bass all the time, and try to mix with a neutral sounding headphone, you will overcompensate by EQing the bass way up. And vice versa if you're used to listening to treble-heavy headphones. Everyone thinks they should be mixing using "reference" headphones, and that's because the advice is coming from pros who are used to using reference gear and know exactly what "flat" should sound like.

Dec 11, 2015 at 9:17 PM Post #1,205 of 2,803
I do prefer the sound of open headphones because they sound more spacious and natural with much better timbre and soundstage. However in my experience closed headphones do give the subjective impression of greater detail. Perhaps this is because they block out any background noise, even if it's very slight, that might mask soft micro details. I also find that IEMs push the details forward more because the drivers are closer to your ears. But when I listen to music for pleasure, nothing beats a good open headphone.

The best headphone to use for mixing is one with the sound signature that you're used to and sounds natural to you. If you're a basshead who's used to listening to heavily exaggerated bass all the time, and try to mix with a neutral sounding headphone, you will overcompensate by EQing the bass way up. And vice versa if you're used to listening to treble-heavy headphones. Everyone thinks they should be mixing using "reference" headphones, and that's because the advice is coming from pros who are used to using reference gear and know exactly what "flat" should sound like.
Yup i do agree with some ba iems, it is indeed easier to hear details.I suspect it has to do with the passive isolation, that removes ambient sounds such as the one produced by air conditioners that we dont normally notice.However, i do think that a neutral headphone is best for mixing.Say you are a bass head musician and you would like to have loads of bass in music that you would like the listener to hear.If you used a bassy headphone to mix, you would be lead into a false impression that there is adequate bass, when all the bass you are hearing is just amplified by your headphone.If the regular joe who uses apple earpods to listen to that musicians music, the amount of bass would be somewhat anemic as the earpods, like most headphones may be coloured, but do not stray too far north of neutral

Dec 13, 2015 at 12:42 PM Post #1,206 of 2,803
On a whim, I decided to put some old cheap velour pads on my MSR7, just to see what they sounded like. The result was pretty interesting. Everything gets opened up and sounds more like an open phone in presentation. Not as big as something like the AD series but more along the lines of the HD5XX series. Imaging is still as good as ever, though the sound is a tad thinner/brighter and the bass is reduced. It's a pretty nice sound once you get used to it, though you do have to crank it up a bit more and the sound leaks more. But the presentation is really opened up and doesn't egregiously change the overall experience. I'll have to do some more listening but if you want to open up the MSR7 at the cost of isolation and low end, it's an interesting option. I think the original pads are still the best sounding, but with the right velour pads, it could be a nice mod for more soundstage.

Dec 14, 2015 at 12:00 AM Post #1,208 of 2,803
Bought a set of MSR7's off the for sale forums. Have been listening to them for the past week, really liking them. They are well detailed, are neither aggressive or too laid back, have a nice bottom end. I've lately been on a sort of regressive path, going from an HD-800 to a 650, now from that to the MSR7. It's not so much that the MSR7's are technically superior, I just like their flavor, their perspective of the music played. You get a sense that tuning was well thought out, and that follows through in the listening experience.

There is some sizzle up on top, but is tolerable. They are definitely keepers!!

Dec 14, 2015 at 4:37 PM Post #1,209 of 2,803
  Bought a set of MSR7's off the for sale forums. Have been listening to them for the past week, really liking them. They are well detailed, are neither aggressive or too laid back, have a nice bottom end. I've lately been on a sort of regressive path, going from an HD-800 to a 650, now from that to the MSR7. It's not so much that the MSR7's are technically superior, I just like their flavor, their perspective of the music played. You get a sense that tuning was well thought out, and that follows through in the listening experience.

There is some sizzle up on top, but is tolerable. They are definitely keepers!!

Agree with your assessment, albeit, I have never listened to an HD800 or 650. I've had the MSR7s for a couple weeks now, and feel they are now starting to shine. I didn't like them at first, and still tend to prefer my AKG K702-65s, but at the office where a closed-back headphone is needed, this is perfect.

Dec 15, 2015 at 7:08 PM Post #1,213 of 2,803

Agree with your assessment, albeit, I have never listened to an HD800 or 650. I've had the MSR7s for a couple weeks now, and feel they are now starting to shine. I didn't like them at first, and still tend to prefer my AKG K702-65s, but at the office where a closed-back headphone is needed, this is perfect.

Office was my intended use as well. I do find myself listening to it more at home though. They do isolate well, find office noise to be defeated to very low levels. 

Dec 17, 2015 at 8:43 AM Post #1,214 of 2,803
Finally bought it! Using it with Fiio E10K now. I don't think they're sibilant and detail retrieval is excellent. Bass is not as strong as M50x but very tight and well-controlled 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back