Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7 Discussion Thread
Nov 1, 2015 at 9:58 AM Post #1,081 of 2,803
After having owned the msr7 for about two weeks now, I can definitely say that these headphones are a true champ.For the price I could not be happier with the resolution and detail retrieval-all of which done without sounding harsh to my ears.My only gripe with it, is its cable that always seems to kink.The 90 degree Jack also feels clumsy and chunky.If you observe closely, you'll realise that the body of the Jack is made up of two plastic chunks connected together which feels quite cheap.Overall, pretty satisfied with this purchase

Nov 1, 2015 at 11:57 AM Post #1,082 of 2,803
After having owned the msr7 for about two weeks now, I can definitely say that these headphones are a true champ.For the price I could not be happier with the resolution and detail retrieval-all of which done without sounding harsh to my ears.My only gripe with it, is its cable that always seems to kink.The 90 degree Jack also feels clumsy and chunky.If you observe closely, you'll realise that the body of the Jack is made up of two plastic chunks connected together which feels quite cheap.Overall, pretty satisfied with this purchase

Yes the cable is not the best and has a bit higher resistance. I then use a aftermarket cable like this one.  http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KWR8OZ4?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

Nov 1, 2015 at 12:45 PM Post #1,083 of 2,803
  Yes the cable is not the best and has a bit higher resistance. I then use a aftermarket cable like this one.  http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KWR8OZ4?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

Thanks for the info, it's the only thing i find wrong with the headphones
smile_phones.gif

Nov 1, 2015 at 2:52 PM Post #1,084 of 2,803
Has anyone tried something to soften the treble on the MSR7?

Something like the mod people do to the HD800?

I reviewed the MSR7 back when they first came out, and found them to be incredibly resolving, but the treble was fatiguing. In 73 pages and a lot of googling, it seems like that's the most common feeling. 

Nov 2, 2015 at 12:27 AM Post #1,085 of 2,803
  Has anyone tried something to soften the treble on the MSR7?

Something like the mod people do to the HD800?

I reviewed the MSR7 back when they first came out, and found them to be incredibly resolving, but the treble was fatiguing. In 73 pages and a lot of googling, it seems like that's the most common feeling. 

The upper mids and lower treble aren't sibilant or strident in any way, but it has a bit of presence to it. That is, a little upper mid bump. If you find them a little fatiguing, try adding a rolled up paper towel to the back side of the cups. It brings the upper mids down a bit and widens the image without sacrificing much detail at all. 

Nov 2, 2015 at 3:18 AM Post #1,086 of 2,803
@zapx629 actually I do think that the msr7 exhibits some sibilance, but nothing too problematic.Also, I found the ear pads a little too shallow for my liking and resorted to that tissue method.Not a very aesthetically pleasing way solution though

Nov 2, 2015 at 7:05 AM Post #1,087 of 2,803
@zapx629 actually I do think that the msr7 exhibits some sibilance, but nothing too problematic.Also, I found the ear pads a little too shallow for my liking and resorted to that tissue method.Not a very aesthetically pleasing way solution though

I had the same problem with the M50 and HE500.

I had tried spacing out the ear pads by rolling tissue and tucking it neatly under the ridge of the pads. This works but isn't ideal.

So I developed some 3D printed plastic spacers...they work extremely well, especially with the HM5 pads - your ear doesn't touch anything.

The only reservation is that it seemed to dull the sound of my M50s somewhat, though I'm not sure. I wish I could get some actual measurements. It might be all in my head, or that the spacers are too tall, or that they should be denser (I'm testing 20% infill, I could go up to 100%), or made of a different material (maybe a flexible filament).

So comfort was solved easily, but I can't be sure about sound.

I'm guessing if I understood the science better, my spacers could be tuned to target certain frequencies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nov 2, 2015 at 10:47 AM Post #1,088 of 2,803

For me, I think it's just very detailed and well extended. Any harshness I've heard is more in the production than the headphones. Can definitely get fatiguing, but wouldn't call them sibilant. 

Nov 2, 2015 at 4:28 PM Post #1,089 of 2,803
If your using the Iphone I too found the treble after long usage to be fatiguing.
Not when using my DAP DX50 it's just right and i need no amp.
biggrin.gif

I very seldom use my phone if so its to listen to pandora.

Nov 3, 2015 at 5:56 AM Post #1,090 of 2,803

For me, I think it's just very detailed and well extended. Any harshness I've heard is more in the production than the headphones. Can definitely get fatiguing, but wouldn't call them sibilant. 

Exactly. The DT880 are what I would call sibilant. The MSR7 definitely not. They can be fatiguing on higher volumes, but they still retain sharpness and accuracy. I agree it is more the result of the recordings, than headphones. The MSR7 are one of the least sibilant in the group of brighter sounding headphones.

Nov 3, 2015 at 9:40 AM Post #1,091 of 2,803
Just got MSR7 for $170. They are basically new.
Incredible value! Similar sound signature to CK100Pro, ES700 and AD900X.
Also got M50X - I can't recomend them for over $100, because IM02 for $150 sounds better and are IEM, and MSR7 is even better than IM02.

Nov 3, 2015 at 3:06 PM Post #1,092 of 2,803
Anyone who owns or has listened to both MSR7 and M70x would be so kind to help me to decide between both? How would you describe the differences in sound signature? I listen to stuff like Sigur Ros, jazz, accoustic, 80's music and classic. I hate bassy headphones and love to hear the details of well mastered recordings. Do the M70x lack musicality and coherence?

How efffective is noise isolation in terms of sound leakage with MSR7? I don't care if I hear external noises but would the guy/lady next to you in public transport hear your music if listening at a average volume? I hate disturbing others.

Are the creaking noises from the headband receivers noticeable during normal head movement?

Nov 4, 2015 at 10:05 AM Post #1,093 of 2,803
@Daniel Patino Sound leakage wouldn't be much of any problem in the stated circumstance.However, if you''re planning to use the msr7 as a portable headphone, I'd highly discourage you from doing so.The msr7 has real bad isolation, but the real problem lies within the sounds signature itself.It is a bright headphone, and as treble gets masked over by background noise much easier than if it were bass, you'll find yourself reaching for yhe volume knob very often and itll certainly be bad for your hearing.So I'd strongly advise you not to buy the msr7 for portable use.Actually, in my case the creaking comes from the hinges holding the cups rather than the receivers.If im not wearing the headphone, the joints do not creak whatsoever.Once I have them on and try to adjust the earcups with my hands, I do hear dome creaking, probably due to the increased tension.Apart from that, moving my head around doesn't result in creaking.

Nov 4, 2015 at 10:18 AM Post #1,094 of 2,803
Just got MSR7 for $170. They are basically new.
Incredible value! Similar sound signature to CK100Pro, ES700 and AD900X.
Also got M50X - I can't recomend them for over $100, because IM02 for $150 sounds better and are IEM, and MSR7 is even better than IM02.

Seeing that you have both the msr7 and the im02, I'm quite curious to have your opinion on the sound of the im02 in comparison to the msr7,as I'm looking to buy it.Firstly, how is treble extension of the im02, is it rolled off?
Secondly, is bass quantity similar to msr7's.Lastly, how is layering compared to msr7

Nov 4, 2015 at 10:28 AM Post #1,095 of 2,803
Thank you very much for the insights, it is really helpful. Actually I would use them 90% of the time at home and as portable headphones only on specific occasions, like taking a flight or a long distance train. I am more concerned about sound leakage.

In terms of sound signature, and without a DAC, would the MSR7 be decently accurate for accoustic wooden instruments and classical music? Would this improve when paired with any specific DAP or should I consider the M70x? If it is useful for a comparison, I own the Sennheiser HD600, Grado SR60 and Focal Spirit Classic.

Thanks a lot again! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back