Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7 Discussion Thread
Nov 4, 2015 at 11:02 AM Post #1,096 of 2,803
Seeing that you have both the msr7 and the im02, I'm quite curious to have your opinion on the sound of the im02 in comparison to the msr7,as I'm looking to buy it.Firstly, how is treble extension of the im02, is it rolled off?
Secondly, is bass quantity similar to msr7's.Lastly, how is layering compared to msr7

Overall MSR7 is bit better because of better detail.
IM02 have similar treble, but have more bass. Layering is similar.
In my opinion IM02 is best value in IEM world. But I haven't heard GR07.

Nov 4, 2015 at 12:57 PM Post #1,098 of 2,803
But IM02 is much better from comfort, isolation standpoint + detachable cable. In my opinion it is more important than slighty better sound.

Nov 4, 2015 at 5:48 PM Post #1,099 of 2,803
But IM02 is much better from comfort, isolation standpoint + detachable cable. In my opinion it is more important than slighty better sound.

Well, I would still disagree on all of those other than the cable, but to each his own. You have to do what's right for you.

On another note I ordered that ixcc cable that was mentioned by @john57. Does it affect the sound in any meaningful way?

Nov 4, 2015 at 5:55 PM Post #1,100 of 2,803
Regarding what I mentioned here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/738758/audio-technica-ath-msr7-discussion-thread/1080#post_12043767

I have been doing some research, and I have seen in a few sources that higher density material is better at absorbing high-frequency sound, while low-density material is better at absorbing low frequency sound.

So, I'm going to try and print a set of the spacers i'm working on with 100% density, with and without cutouts for the ports on the driver side of the headphone cup. We'll see if that does anything to "tune" the MSR7 without actually losing detail.

Nov 5, 2015 at 2:53 AM Post #1,101 of 2,803
@Daniel Patino solely in terms of accuracy, I dare say the msr7 will render classical music pretty well.However, it is after all a portable headphone, and though it does have above-average width and depth and imaging, that is only relative to other portable headphones.But I still think that the msr7 is a worthy buy.It'll be a good addition to your collection seeing that you do not have a bright over-ear headphone

Nov 5, 2015 at 7:03 PM Post #1,102 of 2,803
Thanks a lot again!
smile.gif

I have received them today and I am very impressed. The first hours I really really loved the sound signature. Then, after some hours I really really hated them. They started to be brutally sibilant. I am too sensitive to sibilance. I realized that I had changed to the long cable during this second listening. I used the short cable (no mic) again and guess what. I can stand the sibilance! Am I crazy or something? Perhaps a placebo effect?

Nov 6, 2015 at 5:34 AM Post #1,103 of 2,803
Thanks a lot again! :smile:

I have received them today and I am very impressed. The first hours I really really loved the sound signature. Then, after some hours I really really hated them. They started to be brutally sibilant. I am too sensitive to sibilance. I realized that I had changed to the long cable during this second listening. I used the short cable (no mic) again and guess what. I can stand the sibilance! Am I crazy or something? Perhaps a placebo effect?

I personally find the msr7 edgy in the s notes, teetering on the point of being sibilant.Oddly, when it comes to sibilance on the msr7, there isnt one unison opinion of it-either some think its fine, while others find it sibilant.I happen to be smack in between both camps.I'm quite satisfied with the msr7, r70x or fidelio x2 probably gonna be my next stop

Nov 6, 2015 at 10:19 AM Post #1,104 of 2,803
@Daniel Patino Sound leakage wouldn't be much of any problem in the stated circumstance.However, if you''re planning to use the msr7 as a portable headphone, I'd highly discourage you from doing so.The msr7 has real bad isolation, but the real problem lies within the sounds signature itself.It is a bright headphone, and as treble gets masked over by background noise much easier than if it were bass, you'll find yourself reaching for yhe volume knob very often and itll certainly be bad for your hearing.So I'd strongly advise you not to buy the msr7 for portable use.Actually, in my case the creaking comes from the hinges holding the cups rather than the receivers.If im not wearing the headphone, the joints do not creak whatsoever.Once I have them on and try to adjust the earcups with my hands, I do hear dome creaking, probably due to the increased tension.Apart from that, moving my head around doesn't result in creaking.

I disagree, I use them for my commute and everything is fine.
I have change my cups from the original they seem to seal better than the one that came with the headphones.
I use the MSR7 with the DX50 I have no problem most of my music are FLAC or better but even the MP3 I have sound nice. (add GAIN)
My old commute rig was AD900x and C&C BHT2 +DX50 love that sound.

Nov 7, 2015 at 11:01 AM Post #1,106 of 2,803
I disagree, I use them for my commute and everything is fine.
I have change my cups from the original they seem to seal better than the one that came with the headphones.
I use the MSR7 with the DX50 I have no problem most of my music are FLAC or better but even the MP3 I have sound nice. (add GAIN)
My old commute rig was AD900x and C&C BHT2 +DX50 love that sound.

Your experience, like you said, is very likely to be affected my the material of the cups.So far many users including myself have found that the msr7 has mediocre isolation, and measurements by tyll also support that.Never mind that, I'm curious to know what cups you use with your msr7.Do they affect the sound?And err I think we have different understanding of the word 'commute'* as you say that you use an open back for commuting.

Nov 7, 2015 at 1:14 PM Post #1,107 of 2,803
  Thank you very much for the insights, it is really helpful. Actually I would use them 90% of the time at home and as portable headphones only on specific occasions, like taking a flight or a long distance train. I am more concerned about sound leakage.

In terms of sound signature, and without a DAC, would the MSR7 be decently accurate for accoustic wooden instruments and classical music? Would this improve when paired with any specific DAP or should I consider the M70x? If it is useful for a comparison, I own the Sennheiser HD600, Grado SR60 and Focal Spirit Classic.

Thanks a lot again! :)

Technically, MSR7 is superior in many aspects to the HD600 and Focal Classic. MSR7 easily beats the other two in clarity, resolution, precision, definition and control, especially in the lows and highs. MSR7 also has great extension, both high and low. This headphone is a heck of a technical tour de force at its price - it can even compete with my HD800 in treble resolution and clarity. What MSR7 lacks is some tonal balance - it has a midrange boost that causes it to sound quite forward and in-your-face. The midrange emphasis can sometimes mask the low end and can make MSR7 sound too bright and thin. There's also a bit of a dip in the lower mids around 300-500Hz which causes some loss of body and warmth in the sound as well. So while technically MSR7 is nearly unbeatable, it is also a somewhat cold, thin and bright sounding headphone. It can either blow you away with its technicalities, or frustrate and fatigue you with its brightness. It all depends on your mood, music tastes, ears, the source you are using, etc... I do highly recommend MSR7 if you want a reference headphone for pure technicalities without breaking the bank - you won't find better resolution, clarity and control in most headphones costing a lot more than MSR7. Also, if you enjoy a forward sound and don't mind some lack of warmth, you may also find MSR7 highly enjoyable too. I know I can enjoy MSR7 a lot sometimes when my ears are "fresh" and I can take its aggressive, forward presentation. If I want to relax to the music, MSR7 doesn't allow that. MSR7 is strictly a "listen up, pay attention and get excited!" headphone if that makes sense. I suppose to will be a lot closer in presentation to your Grados than to HD600 or Focal Classic. It's been a while since I heard Grados though, so take my opinion on this with a large grain of salt...

Nov 8, 2015 at 11:17 AM Post #1,108 of 2,803
Your experience, like you said, is very likely to be affected my the material of the cups.So far many users including myself have found that the msr7 has mediocre isolation, and measurements by tyll also support that.Never mind that, I'm curious to know what cups you use with your msr7.Do they affect the sound?And err I think we have different understanding of the word 'commute'* as you say that you use an open back for commuting.

I do have not stock cups.
I bought the MSR7 in April, some one on the forum mention about another cup looked them up bought them.
They seal pretty good atleast on my head.
biggrin.gif
They are leather so steamy after long where in summer.
The sound I really can't say. After the burn in a week the treble calmed down thing been fine.
I see not much difference in the two cups except i got a better seal with non stock.
Oh I stretch them on a basketball for a couple days.

Nov 8, 2015 at 4:50 PM Post #1,109 of 2,803
I think I want to replace my MSR7s.

I appreciate their clarity, but they lack a certain "magical" sound for me that I don't really know how to describe. Maybe lack of soundstage? Maybe a warmer profile is better for me. They're also too uncomfortable for prolonged use. My head and ears hurt after half a day and it didn't seem to get better after stretching them. I stretched them over a big pillow for a couple days. Could partly be a fatiguing sound profile but probably mostly due to their build. They also don't isolate very well.

I listen to a lot of things but symphonic metal, jpop and electronic are favourites. No amps.

I'm looking to replace them with A900x so far - don't know if these would be considered a downgrade but I've seen them described as more euphoric compared to the more analytical MSR7. Should be kinder on my ears? NAD HP50's sound profile sounds made for me too but I'm worried about the build quality, and they're double the price of the A900x here.

Can anyone offer a comparison of the MSR7 to NAD or A900x?

Nov 9, 2015 at 2:12 AM Post #1,110 of 2,803
  I think I want to replace my MSR7s.

I appreciate their clarity, but they lack a certain "magical" sound for me that I don't really know how to describe. Maybe lack of soundstage? Maybe a warmer profile is better for me. They're also too uncomfortable for prolonged use. My head and ears hurt after half a day and it didn't seem to get better after stretching them. I stretched them over a big pillow for a couple days. Could partly be a fatiguing sound profile but probably mostly due to their build. They also don't isolate very well.

I listen to a lot of things but symphonic metal, jpop and electronic are favourites. No amps.

I'm looking to replace them with A900x so far - don't know if these would be considered a downgrade but I've seen them described as more euphoric compared to the more analytical MSR7. Should be kinder on my ears? NAD HP50's sound profile sounds made for me too but I'm worried about the build quality, and they're double the price of the A900x here.

Can anyone offer a comparison of the MSR7 to NAD or A900x?

Not sure about those but Sony MDR-100AAP (h.ear on) might be a good option, it's being hyped in its thread as a big improvement from the MDR-1A. Haven't tried them but they are said to be warm-sounding and bassy, and a level up from the M50x.

Alternatively, the ATH-WS1100 may be a good option to. Gizmodo Japan said it wasn't quite worth the MSRP in terms of sound (really need more opinions though) but that it was a warm, bassy sound with laid back but "delicious" highs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back