Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7 Discussion Thread
Oct 21, 2015 at 11:48 AM Post #1,069 of 2,803

What is it you're trying to mod on them? 

I won a contest on moon audio for a modification for my headphones and I'm not sure if the balance of sound quality on the headphones will be changed when it's modified, and I have no idea what modifications will be added. They emailed me yesterday morning and I'm waiting for a reply to confirm that I can send it to them. They'd probably mod the wires to one of their dragon wires and I'm not sure what parts they'll modify. I'm just curious about their reputation and whether I can trust them because I have no idea how their modifications work. (I also don't really want to offend them because they are giving me a 1k USD mod but I have no idea how to phrase it better)

Here's a link http://www.moon-audio.com/hack-your-headphones/

Oct 21, 2015 at 12:00 PM Post #1,070 of 2,803
Usually from what I heard about Moon audio is that the can change the headphone into balanced termination if that is what you want. Not sure if you will still have the removable cable feature. I do know that the original cable is not the greatest with higher resistance and stiff. I am using a aftermarket cable that I brought from Amazon that measure much better.    

Oct 21, 2015 at 12:16 PM Post #1,071 of 2,803
  Usually from what I heard about Moon audio is that the can change the headphone into balanced termination if that is what you want. Not sure if you will still have the removable cable feature. I do know that the original cable is not the greatest with higher resistance and stiff. I am using a aftermarket cable that I brought from Amazon that measure much better.    

Awesome! I'm excited and impatient for a reply so I hope it comes soon, haha

Oct 28, 2015 at 2:07 AM Post #1,072 of 2,803
Any sellers in Canada? I find it odd how NCIX and some other Canadian distributors has the M70x and others but not the MSR7. Perhaps Jam Industries didn't let it go through?

Also odd is how in the US the price is fixed to 249$ with no drops (M50x is MSRP $249 and almost always  dropped to < 170$)

Oct 28, 2015 at 10:52 AM Post #1,073 of 2,803
  Any sellers in Canada? I find it odd how NCIX and some other Canadian distributors has the M70x and others but not the MSR7. Perhaps Jam Industries didn't let it go through?

Also odd is how in the US the price is fixed to 249$ with no drops (M50x is MSRP $249 and almost always  dropped to < 170$)

You can currently buy it from Massdrop and it'll ship to Canada.

Oct 28, 2015 at 1:33 PM Post #1,074 of 2,803
Except it isn't really a drop. It appears AT didn't approve dropping the price but only selling it through MassDrop and the other stuff are just freebies that I don't really need.

Oct 29, 2015 at 10:32 AM Post #1,075 of 2,803
I've already got them and I love them, but I noticed in my iphone the music sounds better than in my laptop
I'm thinking in buy a budget AMP/DAC like the fiio e07k or SMSL SD-793II , some options?
I'm also thinking in buy the ATH-m50x cable, is this a upgrade in the sound?

Oct 29, 2015 at 10:46 AM Post #1,076 of 2,803
  I've already got them and I love them, but I noticed in my iphone the music sounds better than in my laptop
I'm thinking in buy a budget AMP/DAC like the fiio e07k or SMSL SD-793II , some options?
I'm also thinking in buy the ATH-m50x cable, is this a upgrade in the sound?

If I have iPhone and still don't have DAC for my PC, I will find DAC-AMP with iPhone compatibility too. But I don't know which DAC, maybe Calyx PAT?
M50x cable is 2.5mm with locking mechanism. MSR7 cable is 3.5mm but not too universal because the female jack is bit recessed

Oct 30, 2015 at 10:09 AM Post #1,077 of 2,803

I would say the bass signatures are quite different. The M50x has much more subbass, however it feels kind of bloated. The MSR7 on the other have more controlled bass. It depends on your musical taste, but for instrumental music I prefer the MSR7. For some pop/electronic music maybe the M50x could be preferable, but I would pick the MSR7 anytime. They just sound right. Overall the bass quantity on the MSR7 is not too far behind compared to the M50x. It's deep

Thanks for your input. I am looking for more fun, more bassy headphones to use at times instead of my ATH-W3000ANV. Perhaps MSR7 would suit this need.

MSR7 to my ears have less bass and brighter sounding than the W3kANV. Wouldn't recommend it for your need.

CKR10 is a fun bassy IEM, but it's an IEM.

Oct 30, 2015 at 3:34 PM Post #1,078 of 2,803
MSR7 to my ears have less bass and brighter sounding than the W3kANV. Wouldn't recommend it for your need.

CKR10 is a fun bassy IEM, but it's an IEM.

I believe the  MSR7 gives out enough true Bass.
I would love to try the W3kANV because I love the ATH headphones I have AD900x,M50 and a couple more can't remember.
M50 (haven't tried the M50x but folks say not to much difference) are the only one I don't care for too I its very dark.
MSR7 are my new commute phones goes great with my DX50 before the commute rig AD900x+C&C BH2+DX50.

The Bass I hear from my early rap albums Tupac,Biggie ect. sounds great on the MSR7. Those two had huge kicking bass!
I tried the MSR7 with my DA8 but the DA8 was too much for the phones.

Oct 30, 2015 at 4:21 PM Post #1,079 of 2,803

If I have iPhone and still don't have DAC for my PC, I will find DAC-AMP with iPhone compatibility too. But I don't know which DAC, maybe Calyx PAT?
M50x cable is 2.5mm with locking mechanism. MSR7 cable is 3.5mm but not too universal because the female jack is bit recessed

My Iphone5 sounds weak compared to my DX50 and I'm happy I bought a DAP.
One thing I have to give the Iphone it is very clear and airy.
The cable and jack are the phones weakness.

Oct 30, 2015 at 6:01 PM Post #1,080 of 2,803
Amazon is selling both colours for 200$. Be careful with the Gun Metal Grey one as by default the lowest price is my Electronics Basket who is an unauthorized dealer.

Unfortunately they are only on Amazon.com and not Amazon.ca.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back