Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7 Discussion Thread
Nov 9, 2015 at 2:26 AM Post #1,111 of 2,803
I think I want to replace my MSR7s.

I appreciate their clarity, but they lack a certain "magical" sound for me that I don't really know how to describe. Maybe lack of soundstage? Maybe a warmer profile is better for me. They're also too uncomfortable for prolonged use. My head and ears hurt after half a day and it didn't seem to get better after stretching them. I stretched them over a big pillow for a couple days. Could partly be a fatiguing sound profile but probably mostly due to their build. They also don't isolate very well.

I listen to a lot of things but symphonic metal, jpop and electronic are favourites. No amps.

I'm looking to replace them with A900x so far - don't know if these would be considered a downgrade but I've seen them described as more euphoric compared to the more analytical MSR7. Should be kinder on my ears? NAD HP50's sound profile sounds made for me too but I'm worried about the build quality, and they're double the price of the A900x here.

Can anyone offer a comparison of the MSR7 to NAD or A900x?

A900X should be downgrade. But W1000X is exatly what You are looking for. I bought mine used for $270. There is also now W1000Z, but they cost $500 new.

Nov 9, 2015 at 3:09 AM Post #1,112 of 2,803
  I think I want to replace my MSR7s.

I appreciate their clarity, but they lack a certain "magical" sound for me that I don't really know how to describe. Maybe lack of soundstage? Maybe a warmer profile is better for me. They're also too uncomfortable for prolonged use. My head and ears hurt after half a day and it didn't seem to get better after stretching them. I stretched them over a big pillow for a couple days. Could partly be a fatiguing sound profile but probably mostly due to their build. They also don't isolate very well.

I listen to a lot of things but symphonic metal, jpop and electronic are favourites. No amps.

I'm looking to replace them with A900x so far - don't know if these would be considered a downgrade but I've seen them described as more euphoric compared to the more analytical MSR7. Should be kinder on my ears? NAD HP50's sound profile sounds made for me too but I'm worried about the build quality, and they're double the price of the A900x here.

Can anyone offer a comparison of the MSR7 to NAD or A900x?

For me, MSR7 sound signature is "magical" thing, I don't know headphones <$250 with sound signature like MSR7
You should check newest audio-technica headphones, A###Z series, will be released Q4 2015
https://www.audio-technica.co.jp/

Not sure about those but Sony MDR-100AAP (h.ear on) might be a good option, it's being hyped in its thread as a big improvement from the MDR-1A. Haven't tried them but they are said to be warm-sounding and bassy, and a level up from the M50x.

Alternatively, the ATH-WS1100 may be a good option to. Gizmodo Japan said it wasn't quite worth the MSRP in terms of sound (really need more opinions though) but that it was a warm, bassy sound with laid back but "delicious" highs.

Mike said (ex:headfonia reviewer), h.ear on have "plasticky sound", those impression make me doubt h.ear on improved than MDR-1A or M50x. I'm still can't test it because I'm too lazy to visit Sony Centre
Ah yes WS1100 bit disappointing after read Gizmodo Japan review. Let's see if it is true or not.

Nov 9, 2015 at 3:19 AM Post #1,113 of 2,803

For me, MSR7 sound signature is "magical" thing, I don't know headphones <$250 with sound signature like MSR7
You should check newest audio-technica headphones, A###Z series, will be released Q4 2015

Mike said (ex:headfonia reviewer), h.ear on have "plasticky sound", those impression make me doubt h.ear on improved than MDR-1A or M50x. I'm still can't test it because I'm too lazy to visit Sony Centre
Ah yes WS1100 bit disappointing after read Gizmodo Japan review. Let's see if it is true or not.

Well I hope to try the h.ear on soon. If they are a bit more shimmery I probably wouldn't mind - I thought the MDR-1R and MDR-10R were too laid-back and warm for my taste.

There are some good reviews of WS1100 on Kakaku but a few users have complained about sound leakage. Google Translate doesn't do the best job so I can't fully understand what they're saying.

Nov 9, 2015 at 7:00 AM Post #1,114 of 2,803
Hi guys (and girls of course)!

I'm getting the MSR7 as a Christmas present for myself this year. And as I'm planning to use it on the go quite a bit, I want to buy a case for it that offers a bit more protection than the included pouch. There have been several good case-suggestions in this thread, but so far the ones I really like are either hard (or impossible) to find or crazy expensive here in (or shipped to) the Netherlands. 
So I want to try and find something that meets my needs locally, but as I wont have the headphones until late december, I'd like to know the dimensions of the headphones in its "folded flat" position (A, B and C as in the picture, preferably in metric). I've been Googling all over, but haven't been able to find them.

Can anyone here maybe help out? I would be very grateful :) 

Nov 9, 2015 at 8:47 AM Post #1,115 of 2,803
  Hi guys (and girls of course)!

I'm getting the MSR7 as a Christmas present for myself this year. And as I'm planning to use it on the go quite a bit, I want to buy a case for it that offers a bit more protection than the included pouch. There have been several good case-suggestions in this thread, but so far the ones I really like are either hard (or impossible) to find or crazy expensive here in (or shipped to) the Netherlands. 
So I want to try and find something that meets my needs locally, but as I wont have the headphones until late december, I'd like to know the dimensions of the headphones in its "folded flat" position (A, B and C as in the picture, preferably in metric). I've been Googling all over, but haven't been able to find them.

Can anyone here maybe help out? I would be very grateful :) 

Hey, I got a brand new case that I'm not using for the MSR7 because it's being modded, I PMed you about it

Nov 9, 2015 at 4:43 PM Post #1,117 of 2,803
  Not sure about those but Sony MDR-100AAP (h.ear on) might be a good option, it's being hyped in its thread as a big improvement from the MDR-1A. Haven't tried them but they are said to be warm-sounding and bassy, and a level up from the M50x.

Alternatively, the ATH-WS1100 may be a good option to. Gizmodo Japan said it wasn't quite worth the MSRP in terms of sound (really need more opinions though) but that it was a warm, bassy sound with laid back but "delicious" highs.

I'll have a look at those two thanks.

Interesting, are they meant to be like a successor to the A900X?

Nov 10, 2015 at 3:12 AM Post #1,118 of 2,803

I'll have a look at those two thanks.

Interesting, are they meant to be like a successor to the A900X?

Yes, they're
A1000Z so sexy 
biggrin.gif

Nov 10, 2015 at 9:21 PM Post #1,120 of 2,803
  Anyones knows how to solve the creaky problem?
Even when I'm doing nothing I hear the creaks

I guess that is something we have to live with for any headphones with plastics in its headband or joint construction, no matter how well-built it is. I've learnt to live with that as long as its as great sounding as the MSR7. On the other hand my full metal headphones never creaks.

Nov 11, 2015 at 5:52 AM Post #1,121 of 2,803
http://headphones.reviewed.com/features/2015-best-of-year-headphone-awards
MSR7 won best awards from that website

Nov 12, 2015 at 6:11 PM Post #1,122 of 2,803
I've been more and more impressed with the MSR7 sound lately. I am now pretty certain that it is the second most accurate and revealing headphone after HD800 that I've owned so far. MSR7 may not have a neutral tonal balance, but it's pretty close to neutral and I find that that extra emphasis in the upper midrange adds special character and musicality to the sound. The extreme clarity and resolution, coupled with the forward upper mids allows MSR7 to give sense of presence to the sound that no other headphone I've heard provides. In this regard, MSR7 is very special and unique. IMO sure, there are other headphones that sound forward and lively like Grados, or extremely revealing like HD800, but I haven't heard a headphones that combines such high sonic capabilities with a forward and exciting sound signature like MSR7 does. Grados may be forward and exciting, but I don't believe any Grado competes with MSR7 in technicalities. HD800 is even more revealing and accurate than MSR7, but it's far more distant and boring sounding.

Nov 18, 2015 at 10:35 PM Post #1,124 of 2,803
  I've been more and more impressed with the MSR7 sound lately. I am now pretty certain that it is the second most accurate and revealing headphone after HD800 that I've owned so far. MSR7 may not have a neutral tonal balance, but it's pretty close to neutral and I find that that extra emphasis in the upper midrange adds special character and musicality to the sound. The extreme clarity and resolution, coupled with the forward upper mids allows MSR7 to give sense of presence to the sound that no other headphone I've heard provides. In this regard, MSR7 is very special and unique. IMO sure, there are other headphones that sound forward and lively like Grados, or extremely revealing like HD800, but I haven't heard a headphones that combines such high sonic capabilities with a forward and exciting sound signature like MSR7 does. Grados may be forward and exciting, but I don't believe any Grado competes with MSR7 in technicalities. HD800 is even more revealing and accurate than MSR7, but it's far more distant and boring sounding.

Could you elaborate on that a bit?

I think the MSR7's are unusually good headphones,
but they couldn't compete with the Grado PS550e's
and RS1i's (both significantly more expensive) in terms
of overall listening experience. IMO

Nov 19, 2015 at 1:41 PM Post #1,125 of 2,803
Recently purchased the ATH-MSR7's, and have noted that they sound like a closed version of the new Fostex T50RP Mk3s which i really really like.
Actually, if you combined the sound of the  Blue MO-Fis, with the B&W P7s, and the FsT50Mk3s, then you have it.
Yes these headphones are not warm and lush sounding, nor are they "V" shaped and lean toned, but they are very analytical and precise.
Id say they could pass for an affordable Senn 800 type of tonality, and if you need warm and fuzzy lush tone, then these are not for you.
If on the other hand your fav listening experience is all about dissecting your favorite music, then these ARE for you.
Probably with 30hrs of burn time these are going to flex and widen and mellow just a touch and then they will be crazy good.
And just like the Fostex T50RPmk3's @ $145.99, these AT-MSR7s are a very very good deal @ $249.99.
Im thinking that if you get yourself some Senn HD600s, the Fostex T50RP Mk3's, and these ATH-MSR7's......= you should be able to keep yourself busy listening happily for years to come.
There is really nothing out there from $0-$800 that can give you everything in one Headphone that you can get in all 3 of these., and frankly, Headphones are like guitars, in that no one guitar does everything perfectly.
So, get those 3 and you're set, unless you just have to buy something that cost $1500 - $3000 and maybe it wont satisfy you for life, or even for a week.
Seldom does only one particular purchase  ever satisfy anyone for life.
Be sure to spend some time stretching carefully the ATH-MSR7's headband so that you can get a comfy fit, as right out of the box these things really clamp down with authority.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back