Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7 Discussion Thread
Sep 28, 2015 at 10:36 AM Post #946 of 2,803
  I don't think the comfort is horrible, but I'm going to be using these as my main headphones so I want them comfy as possible. Yes, they creak a lot, but only when you are adjusting them on your head. I bought the brainwavz pleather pads and I wasn't crazy about the setup, it just felt too bulky on my head, and that's coming from an owner of AKG K550's which are huge. I would buy them on amazon, and then you have a month to return them if you don't like them. That's what I'm doing, I'm going to give them a little more time however and see if I change my mind.

What part of them is uncomfortable? I had a couple of issues at first, but there are a few things you can do to alleviate the problem and make them feel better.

Sep 28, 2015 at 1:53 PM Post #947 of 2,803
What part of them is uncomfortable? I had a couple of issues at first, but there are a few things you can do to alleviate the problem and make them feel better.

Just comfort overall. Earpads are a little shallow and not very cushioned, headband is not comfy, clamping force... I don't think they are super uncomfortable but these are going to be my one over the ear set so I want them as comfortable as possible. My huge K550's feel better situated on my head

Sep 28, 2015 at 2:00 PM Post #948 of 2,803
Just comfort overall. Earpads are a little shallow and not very cushioned, headband is not comfy, clamping force... I don't think they are super uncomfortable but these are going to be my one over the ear set so I want them as comfortable as possible. My huge K550's feel better situated on my head

Try rolling up some paper towels and lining the inner earcups. You should also stretch out your headband if you haven't already. The earpads can be softened by taking them off and squeezing them a bunch. I had the same issues people were complaining of at first, but doing these things have made them very comfortable for me. I wear them for hours at a time.

Sep 28, 2015 at 2:04 PM Post #949 of 2,803
Try rolling up some paper towels and lining the inner earcups. You should also stretch out your headband if you haven't already. The earpads can be softened by taking them off and squeezing them a bunch. I had the same issues people were complaining of at first, but doing these things have made them very comfortable for me. I wear them for hours at a time.

Tried this, except for the paper towels. I'm going to give them another week and see how they feel

Oct 6, 2015 at 8:17 PM Post #954 of 2,803
  How are these compared to the M50x? The MSR7 are 230 dollars right now and i was wondering if these are worth the price jump from the M50x. 

I am considering it as well.  Sound aside they are drop-dead gorgeous.

From trying it a few times the MSR7 is not as bassy with more mids and treble, yet the sound is a more "reference" level than the M50. Some listeners consider it sibilant. The low end is rolled off according to measurements but it still sounds very tight and present.

Oct 7, 2015 at 12:57 AM Post #955 of 2,803
  How are these compared to the M50x? The MSR7 are 230 dollars right now and i was wondering if these are worth the price jump from the M50x. 

Hm, after spending some time listening the MSR7, the M50x became unbearable. The only thing the M50x have is more subbass content which tends to be bloated anyway. Msr7 have better space, highs, more forward vocals and far more controlled bass. It depends on your musical taste, but I would choose the MSR7 anytime. They are refined M50x, more like a "M60x". I also find them more comfortable.

Oct 7, 2015 at 2:28 AM Post #957 of 2,803
  They are $192.95 on Amazon USA right now.

Only the black one... I'd prefer the Gun Metal one which is 223$.

If I go to the US or Taiwan I might get it, though in Taiwan it's approximately 215 USD with taxes included.

Oct 7, 2015 at 3:14 AM Post #958 of 2,803

MSR7 has a more linear tonality. It is bright, but linear in tonality, less tonality coloration than M50x. I clearly prefer MSR7 than M50x. MSR7 sounds more neutral to my ears.

Oct 7, 2015 at 4:51 AM Post #959 of 2,803
I've been eyeing this set of headphones for a while now, and I'm planning to get them this saturday, but are there any better headphones out there around the price or slightly more than the price that are good for listening and audio production? I've gotten a recommendation for the Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro and the AKG 550 which I'm planning to try and test out tonight at jaben or stereo at vivocity (I live in Singapore). If you have any recommendations I'd love to hear it, thanks!

Oct 7, 2015 at 4:59 AM Post #960 of 2,803
  I've been eyeing this set of headphones for a while now, and I'm planning to get them this saturday, but are there any better headphones out there around the price or slightly more than the price that are good for listening and audio production? I've gotten a recommendation for the Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro and the AKG 550 which I'm planning to try and test out tonight at jaben or stereo at vivocity (I live in Singapore). If you have any recommendations I'd love to hear it, thanks!

Audio production means you need slightly analytical with good detail right? Try Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7, excellent resolution and detail, with tonality that is more linear and neutral than Custom One Pro and AKG 550. MSR7 is bright and transparent, it will help you surgically disect all your mix. Another good headphone for recording mixing and mastering is Shure SRH840.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back