Audio-Technica ATH-M50S vs Sennheiser HD 598?
Feb 24, 2012 at 2:44 PM Post #16 of 18

Quote:
Heya,

So in other words, you have no idea if anything is better, you only know the M50. This means, you have no idea what you're missing.

The M50 has a cramped sound stage. It's not the best closed headphone all around under $200 at all, not even close. It's over-hyped beyond belief. And blowing off music listening to determine sound stage shows that you really don't even pay attention to sound stage. "Gaming" uses positional audio, so naturally, it will sound like things are positioned and that gives the illusion of sound stage--that's the point of positioning. But again, until you've heard something with dolby headphone and an already good sound stage, you're still just talking about as you put it "stereo gaming with M50's."

You like your M50's for your use. That's great. I'm glad you do. And you have your opinion, that's great too. We respect that. But the M50 is not the end-all-be-all, and I suggest you try a different headphone in the future to get an even better idea of what the M50 is capable (or not capable) of.

Very best,

Hellooooo,

I've already ordered the Sennheiser HD 598's and I now also want a pair of closed back headphones that won't cost me more than 175 euros. 

So the reason that I'm addressing you is because you seem to know what you're talking about
everyone's been referring me to the Audio Technica ATH-M50's because
they're supposedly the best closed back headphones under the $200, 
and now you're saying that they're not at all. 
I find this interesting and would like to know your view on what the best closed back headphones under the $200 are.

If you have the time, I'd love to hear what you have to say about this!

Peace.

Feb 24, 2012 at 3:06 PM Post #17 of 18
The problem with a term like "best" is that audio is subjective. I personally feel the best phones in that range are the Srh840, but I generally prefer a brighter sound. The M50s may in fact be the best in this category for something who likes the sound.

however, on that budget its hard to beat open cans for soundstage.

by the way, to everyone else, you havent heard good closed can sound stage till you've heard the Edition 8 :wink:

Crenshaw

Dec 10, 2012 at 7:51 PM Post #18 of 18
Quote:
The problem with a term like "best" is that audio is subjective. I personally feel the best phones in that range are the Srh840, but I generally prefer a brighter sound. The M50s may in fact be the best in this category for something who likes the sound.

however, on that budget its hard to beat open cans for soundstage.

by the way, to everyone else, you havent heard good closed can sound stage till you've heard the Edition 8 :wink:

Crenshaw

edition 8 ? it cost 1000+ dollars lol on ebay

Users who are viewing this thread

Back