Audio-Technica ATH-M50S vs Sennheiser HD 598?
Sep 28, 2011 at 6:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

oSpectrum

New Head-Fier
I mainly listen to techno music and some classical rock every now and then. I'm debating on which headphones I should get, the M50's or the HD 598. They are both around the same price, so that's not really an obstacle. I mainly want really good audio quality. However, I know the HD 598's are open-backed. If I'm in a car, will the person sitting in the back seat be able to hear the music if I have them on?

Just tell me which you think is better and why.:):)

Sep 28, 2011 at 10:19 PM Post #2 of 18
I like the M50 for several reasons.  First they are sealed so you will not have to worry about outside ambient noise nor anyone hearing what you are listening to.  The M50 is not an airplane headphone so do not expect to block out everything with them, but they seal quite nicely.  Secondly, they have a little better bass response so you will not be missing the bass that the 598's just cannot produce.  Lastly the M50 has a much better harmonic distortion curve and will not distort at higher volumes.

If you do decide on the M50 and find them a tad tight I suggest you place them around a full sized tissue box for a few days.  This stretches out the headband a little and makes them much more comfortable.

I think the 598 would be better for movies and gaming because they are open.  With open cans you get better imaging of the audio being produced.

Sep 28, 2011 at 10:39 PM Post #3 of 18

Quote:
I mainly listen to techno music and some classical rock every now and then. I'm debating on which headphones I should get, the M50's or the HD 598. They are both around the same price, so that's not really an obstacle. I mainly want really good audio quality. However, I know the HD 598's are open-backed. If I'm in a car, will the person sitting in the back seat be able to hear the music if I have them on?
Just tell me which you think is better and why.
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

Heya,

They're completely different headphones. The HD598 has forward mids and is neutral on the bass. The M50 has recessed mids and more bass than neutral. The HD598 has a good sound stage. The M50 has no sound stage to speak of. I would say the HD598 is well beyond the M50 in all categories, except total bass quantity.

I wouldn't get either of them, based on your music tastes.

I'd look at the BeyerDynamic DT770 PRO, Ultrasone HFI 580, Shure SRH750 DJ, Panasonic RP-HTF600, Denon D1100, Fischer Audio FA-003, and Denon D2000 (if possible).

Very best,

Sep 29, 2011 at 8:09 AM Post #4 of 18
yea, as ^ said, they are very different.

I've heard both of them and the 598 lacks bass (coming from a guy who has the Hippo VB and hates bright headphones), the M50s aren't super bassy but bassier than neutral headphones.

Sep 29, 2011 at 8:36 AM Post #5 of 18
M50's no sound stage?

I game, and I would like to disagree completely :)

Sure I don't game competitively or with virtual surround crap, but positional audio is perfectly fine on the M50's. Screw music listening to determine sound stage, gaming is where its at :p

-Mind you I didn't actually buy the M50s for gaming >.> just thought it was the best closed all rounder under 200!

Sep 29, 2011 at 9:06 AM Post #6 of 18
 I've heard that the new productions of the M50s aren't quite as good as the old..... So you may want to take what you hear about them with a grain of salt, as lots of times you'll be hearing about the old models.

Sep 29, 2011 at 9:11 AM Post #7 of 18
I actually heard they were better than the olds haha. Apparently the olds had too little bass control and too much of a V curve :p

(I've also heard, and I believe this the most personally, that they are basically the same, just a box difference causing people to believe the sound has changed significantly)

Sep 29, 2011 at 9:23 AM Post #9 of 18

Quote:
I actually heard they were better than the olds haha. Apparently the olds had too little bass control and too much of a V curve :p

(I've also heard, and I believe this the most personally, that they are basically the same, just a box difference causing people to believe the sound has changed significantly)

I haven't heard them myself... I would love to though :S

Sep 29, 2011 at 12:29 PM Post #14 of 18
I'm not. I'm saying they are proficient enough for stereo gaming. People say they're **** for gaming. I game loads. I don't find them **** for gaming, they work just great, sure loads better for music but they aren't tight, cramped, ****. Positional audio is well enough.

Sure. COMPARED TO OTHER headphones (open ones, more expensive closed ones..) they'll have a tighter soundstage, but relative to my needs I find them perfectly fine for gaming.

Sep 29, 2011 at 12:43 PM Post #15 of 18
Heya,

Quote:
M50's no sound stage?

I game, and I would like to disagree completely :)

Sure I don't game competitively or with virtual surround crap, but positional audio is perfectly fine on the M50's. Screw music listening to determine sound stage, gaming is where its at :p

-Mind you I didn't actually buy the M50s for gaming >.> just thought it was the best closed all rounder under 200!

Well these new M50s are my first entry into slightly good audio :p so of course I'm gonna say it sounds excellent (though sub bass can overpower mids sometimes)

So in other words, you have no idea if anything is better, you only know the M50. This means, you have no idea what you're missing.

The M50 has a cramped sound stage. It's not the best closed headphone all around under $200 at all, not even close. It's over-hyped beyond belief. And blowing off music listening to determine sound stage shows that you really don't even pay attention to sound stage. "Gaming" uses positional audio, so naturally, it will sound like things are positioned and that gives the illusion of sound stage--that's the point of positioning. But again, until you've heard something with dolby headphone and an already good sound stage, you're still just talking about as you put it "stereo gaming with M50's."

You like your M50's for your use. That's great. I'm glad you do. And you have your opinion, that's great too. We respect that. But the M50 is not the end-all-be-all, and I suggest you try a different headphone in the future to get an even better idea of what the M50 is capable (or not capable) of.

Very best,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back