Audio Technica ATH-M50s - Just Purchased - Wow
Jun 1, 2011 at 4:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 41

Hudson01

New Head-Fier
Well as you can see from the number of posts i have submitted  i am new to all this quality headphone '' shinanigans'', but wow what a difference, i received them in the post today and after a few minutes attached to my minidisc player knew what all the fuss was about and what i had paid my cash for.

Kate Bush (The Kick Inside) has never sounded so good, and i understand they sound even better after being '' run in '' ?? I did not even notice that my minidisc player had it's bass boost switched off !!! I totally forgot, on my old phones i always needed the extra bass boost to make the album sound anything near good, that just goes to show what missing '' information '' my old phones had simply not transmitted to my ears.

Here's looking forward to hours of listening and rediscovering all my other Kate Bush albums without bass boost !!!!

Jun 1, 2011 at 7:57 PM Post #5 of 41
I got the same feeling myself. The M50 was also my first set of quality headphones and i heard sounds in the music i usually listed to that I have never heard before (Can not imagine me living without a high-end headphone now) The first track I heard with them was the Hans Zimmer - Batman Begins Soundtrack and there i felt in love. The start of the sound was on replay for a while.

Welcome to a great hobby :)

Jun 1, 2011 at 9:30 PM Post #6 of 41
I love my M50 but I had to let them go a month ago for better cans. I still found them very impressive when I listened to them again at a meet but I couldn't stand the cold mids anymore :frowning2:

Not to spoil the party though, you should enjoy these wonderful pair of cans until its time to upgrade!

Welcome to hifi, it will only get better from here

Jun 1, 2011 at 10:49 PM Post #7 of 41
Well, if you thought the bass on the M50s were mind-blowing...

You know what? Nevermind. Enjoy your new headphones before thoughts of upgrading get to ya :/

Jun 1, 2011 at 11:34 PM Post #8 of 41

Quote:
I love my M50 but I had to let them go a month ago for better cans. I still found them very impressive when I listened to them again at a meet but I couldn't stand the cold mids anymore :frowning2:

Not to spoil the party though, you should enjoy these wonderful pair of cans until its time to upgrade!

Welcome to hifi, it will only get better from here

So what cans you use now?

Jun 1, 2011 at 11:37 PM Post #9 of 41

Quote:
and i understand they sound even better after being '' run in '' ?? 

Yes, they sound better after some "Burn in" 
wink.gif

Enjoy!!

Jun 1, 2011 at 11:37 PM Post #10 of 41
love Kate Bush!

Jun 2, 2011 at 4:11 PM Post #11 of 41

Quote:
love Kate Bush!

Ditto, and have done for 30 years. She sounds amazing through these cans, i have been using some Sennheiser 62TV headphones up until now and the difference is just amazing, you really do get what you pay for.  The bass side of my new phones is just fine by me, i don't like too much bass as the music i listen too (female vocals mainly) does not have that much of it, its the vocals and the mids that i like, also the clarity and detail given by the violin and piano just blows me away, the old cans sound like they had a muffler over them.

Jun 3, 2011 at 4:34 AM Post #15 of 41
I've always seen EQ's as a crutch for buying the wrong headphones. Either you like the way they sound or you don't and move on. I think most, if not all equalizers add fake boosts or subtractions to a frequency response. I'm definitely not a fan.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back