Audio Technica ATH-M50s - Just Purchased - Wow
Jun 3, 2011 at 5:11 AM Post #16 of 41

Quote:
I've always seen EQ's as a crutch for buying the wrong headphones. Either you like the way they sound or you don't and move on. I think most, if not all equalizers add fake boosts or subtractions to a frequency response. I'm definitely not a fan.

Agreed. And I used to use EQ for EVERYTHING.

Jun 3, 2011 at 5:25 AM Post #18 of 41
wow, why do you have so many Shure headphones germancub?  That's pretty intense!

Just really love them I guess. Although ever since I got the 940's the others are just collecting dust and will be up for sale soon lol. I need to downsize my collection :)

Jun 3, 2011 at 7:09 AM Post #19 of 41
Seeing how high the ratings for the Audio Technica ATH-M50s are on this site and how relatively cheap it is, I consider buying it. Right now I own Sennheiser HD555, will the difference be noticeable? Are they the best choice when it comes to these price ranges? (No more than 200$)

Jun 3, 2011 at 6:43 PM Post #20 of 41

Quote:
Seeing how high the ratings for the Audio Technica ATH-M50s are on this site and how relatively cheap it is, I consider buying it. Right now I own Sennheiser HD555, will the difference be noticeable? Are they the best choice when it comes to these price ranges? (No more than 200$)

If you listen to classical or other light genres, get the AD700.

If you can find them under $200, get the D2000s unless you listen to only Classical.

If you're a huge basshead then get the M50s.

Jun 3, 2011 at 9:58 PM Post #21 of 41

Quote:
If you listen to classical or other light genres, get the AD700.

If you can find them under $200, get the D2000s unless you listen to only Classical.

If you're a huge basshead then get the M50s.

Nope don't get M50's if you are a basshead.

Get an Ultrasone.

Get M50's if you want a good all-rounder that's not the best at anything.

It has a SLIGHTLY SLIGHTLY elevated bass (keyword SLIGHTLY) and pretty recessed mids; overall they are pretty neutral. If people keep hyping their bass more new buyers will be disappointed.

Jun 3, 2011 at 10:23 PM Post #22 of 41
Oh god. The M50s (the white box variants at least) are NOT basshead headphones. As stated by jerg, they're neutral if not for the slight low end hump and the slight mid-end recess.

Versatile is a better way to describe them.

Jun 4, 2011 at 1:34 AM Post #24 of 41
Possibly mistaken with the ath pro700 mk2 which does bear a similar look
I don't think we're talking about the same M50 then. I'm pretty sure there's an M50 that's touted as having crazy bass.

Jun 4, 2011 at 1:53 AM Post #25 of 41

Quote:
I don't think we're talking about the same M50 then. I'm pretty sure there's an M50 that's touted as having crazy bass.

Maybe the first (pre)production M50s many many years ago. The M50s produced in the last 2 years have been the same, relatively neutral smiley-face sound sig.

Audio Technica bassmothers = 700Mk2.

Jun 4, 2011 at 2:20 AM Post #26 of 41
Lol @ M50's being neutral. Next, people will tell me K701's are bass monsters, HD650's are bright and SR325's are veiled.

Jun 4, 2011 at 4:21 AM Post #28 of 41

Quote:
Lol @ M50's being neutral. Next, people will tell me K701's are bass monsters, HD650's are bright and SR325's are veiled.

To me M50's are closer to neutral than being "bass monsters" :wink:

Jun 4, 2011 at 4:30 AM Post #29 of 41

Quote:
Nope don't get M50's if you are a basshead.

Get an Ultrasone.

Get M50's if you want a good all-rounder that's not the best at anything.

It has a SLIGHTLY SLIGHTLY elevated bass (keyword SLIGHTLY) and pretty recessed mids; overall they are pretty neutral. If people keep hyping their bass more new buyers will be disappointed.

This still doesn't answer one of my key questions. How do they compare to the HD555? I want to know if doing this little upgrade will pay off at all.

I got around 200$ and I was a bit shocked by seeing most the discussions revolve around way more expensive headphones. I think it's only fair to investigate a bit before spending them.

As for what music I intend to listen to, it's more often than not of the noisy, harsh and distorted type. Definitely guitar-driven stuff most of the time.

Jun 4, 2011 at 5:49 AM Post #30 of 41
There is nothing neutral about recessed mids, honky lower treble and a mid bass bloat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back