Audio-Technica ATH-M50
Feb 15, 2012 at 7:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

Bassix

100+ Head-Fier
I've been looking through headphones lately, need a nice pair, that will support the heavy bass of dubstep without overpowering vocals on rap songs, and can support mids and highs without them sounding like garbage. I have a limit of about $200 and I trust a forum like this that seems to be dedicated to sound quality to not scream BEATS BY DRE OHMAIGAWD THEY RAWWWKKK like what happened on Yahoo Answers >_< Well I saw these review strong monsters

http://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-ATH-M50-Professional-Monitor-Headphones/dp/B000ULAP4U/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

I have been intensely thinking about buying these things. Reviews don't push them forward, but rampage, and they are said to be comfy and have just enough bass without interupting mid's and highs. I know nothing about all these amps that are talked about that boost bass and quality and such, I just would like these to be something to listen to at school when I finish my work, something that doesn't annoy everybody, but still vibrates happily with bass heavy songs. So this boils down to a few questions:

Are these worth the money?
Do they required anything other than an iPod to be used? (Some headphones required headphone + usb)
Do they have the right amount of bass for a Rock/Rap/Techno/Dubstep person like me?
Any other suggestions?
Any tips?

Feb 15, 2012 at 7:31 PM Post #2 of 18
For a $200 budget I would get the $210 deal at Jr's on the Denon d2000's. Just $10 over the budget and much much better...

Feb 15, 2012 at 7:50 PM Post #3 of 18
i started with the ath-m50. i listen to hiphop / triphop / dubstep / beats.

sounded good for everything. was a good cheaper all arounder. i had the old version which had more bass (apparently from what i read) than the new ones. kept them for prolly 1.5 years before moving on.

they are built like tanks, i used them for portable and home and they still look brand new.

Feb 15, 2012 at 7:50 PM Post #4 of 18

Quote:
For a $200 budget I would get the $210 deal at Jr's on the Denon d2000's. Just $10 over the budget and much much better...

I checked those headphones out, they seem to be quite the pair of headphones, but to my discomfort, I would not care to spend $210 for those. I love bass quality, and can't stand anything but it on headphones. I looked at those headphones, and I have used them a few times before, found them very satisfactory, but I do not like the wideness of them. Also, the d2000's range from the high $200's to the low $300's. I can not afford these in any way, and I did not find the deal you were describing. I have heard greater things of the comfort from the ATH-M50's and how tightly they fit on your ear, which is something I love more than anything. I have used a bunch of garbage over the ear headphones, and found the tighter to the ear, the more to my liking.

Feb 15, 2012 at 8:00 PM Post #5 of 18

Quote:
i started with the ath-m50. i listen to hiphop / triphop / dubstep / beats.

sounded good for everything. was a good cheaper all arounder. i had the old version which had more bass (apparently from what i read) than the new ones. kept them for prolly 1.5 years before moving on.

they are built like tanks, i used them for portable and home and they still look brand new.

I'm not sure what you mean by older models, but I love to hear "cheap" "bass" and "build like tanks" exactly what I need for school, something that doesn't lose sound in one headphone because you wrap the cord around your iPod for portability >_<

*Sorry for the double post, it seems understandable enough for me since they are both replies to people posting on here and the 2nd one was posted during the reply to the first*

Feb 15, 2012 at 8:11 PM Post #7 of 18

Quote:
there was a redesign for the m50s. the new ones are white box. the ones i have were the old box. it was also $100 bucks back then, instead of the 150 now.

Ahh well increased demand comes with increased price. Also, are the design of the actual headphones any different, or just the sound quality between the two? I would like great headphones, but I don't want to be walking around school with some unappealing pieces of garbage slung around my neck.

IMPORTANT QUESTION!!!! - Does it have a regular jack that I can plug into an iPod at school with nothing else? I keep hearing about people plugging them into amps and stuff, but I don't know what an amp is, let alone if you need a special jack for it. Do I need some adapter? Can I use these headphones at school with nothing but an iPod?

Feb 15, 2012 at 8:45 PM Post #8 of 18
It's a good all arounder and good phone to get you into the hobby.  Yes, it should be fine out of an ipod.

Feb 15, 2012 at 8:56 PM Post #9 of 18
I haven't tried them, but aren't the ATH-PRO700MK2s supposed to sound better for not too much more?

If so I'd get those.

Feb 15, 2012 at 10:53 PM Post #10 of 18
The fit of the m50's and d2000's is almost opposite for me. The m50 clamped my head and a vice and the d2000 floats like a cloud. I just couldn't listen for long with the m50's without fatigue.

Feb 15, 2012 at 11:33 PM Post #11 of 18
Hello and welcome Bassix.

I think if you use the "search" function on the site you will find a lot
of similar threads regarding the AT M50s. Don't mean to be rude though,
but there are just too many similar threads from people with your similar taste!

:wink:

Personally, I didn't really like the AT M50s that much, heck, I would prefer
my $30 Panasonics instead (if it wasn't for the sound leakage and better fit...).

Bassy headphones on the price range (less than $200): Beyerdynamic DT770 pro 80 (at $100 or less on eBay or used),
Ultrasone HFI 580 (or DJ1 Pro) is $138 at djdeals.com, Denon D2000 (call JandR and haggle the price you might get it for less
than $230!)

Feb 16, 2012 at 5:05 PM Post #12 of 18

Quote:
Hello and welcome Bassix.

I think if you use the "search" function on the site you will find a lot
of similar threads regarding the AT M50s. Don't mean to be rude though,
but there are just too many similar threads from people with your similar taste!

:wink:

Personally, I didn't really like the AT M50s that much, heck, I would prefer
my $30 Panasonics instead (if it wasn't for the sound leakage and better fit...).

Bassy headphones on the price range (less than $200): Beyerdynamic DT770 pro 80 (at $100 or less on eBay or used),
Ultrasone HFI 580 (or DJ1 Pro) is $138 at djdeals.com, Denon D2000 (call JandR and haggle the price you might get it for less
than $230!)

I understand the "search" function thing, and such. But I used a few specific questions that I needed answers.

But $30 Panasonics? No need to insult the headphones, I listened to them earlier today at school, looking like a crazy person borrowing some random girl's headphones to test them out, but I tested them and they are very nice, and great quality. Better than anything $30 can get. I do listen to dubstep, rap, and rock, and I do like punchy bass. I equalize all my music according to what kind of headphone I use, whether they be buds or full-sized. I do appreciate the recommendations of the bassy headphones though, I'll be sure to look through them all. :)

Feb 16, 2012 at 6:26 PM Post #13 of 18
I've heard a lot of bassheads that really like the Ultrasone HFI-580s in terms of having a good bass presence, but also decent quality throughout the spectrum. The HFI series clamps a bit harder than the M50s, especially at first. I have the 780s which have less bass, but a bit more detail.

The 580s can be had for about $120-130 usually, lot of places out of stock currently I think, but if you have up to $200 you can possibly do a bit better with some of the other options.

Feb 16, 2012 at 6:29 PM Post #14 of 18
No you don't need an adapter and yes you can use it straight out of an ipod.

Quote:
Ahh well increased demand comes with increased price. Also, are the design of the actual headphones any different, or just the sound quality between the two? I would like great headphones, but I don't want to be walking around school with some unappealing pieces of garbage slung around my neck.

IMPORTANT QUESTION!!!! - Does it have a regular jack that I can plug into an iPod at school with nothing else? I keep hearing about people plugging them into amps and stuff, but I don't know what an amp is, let alone if you need a special jack for it. Do I need some adapter? Can I use these headphones at school with nothing but an iPod?

Feb 16, 2012 at 7:35 PM Post #15 of 18

Quote:
No you don't need an adapter and yes you can use it straight out of an ipod.

Thank you a ton for this. I looked up a few reviews and saw it came with a regular sized iPod sized jack, and a larger one that twists onto it. Is this something I could plug into my guitar amp and play guitar through it.?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back