Audio Technica ATH M50
Jul 30, 2007 at 5:09 AM Post #32 of 52
confused.gif
Strange...AT makes most of their professional products (or at least used to) in Japan...The place of manufacture should be on the headphones itself if I am not mistaken, on the piece of plastic near the swivel joint to the earcups. Doesn't matter, as long as it sounds good
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 18, 2008 at 9:19 PM Post #34 of 52
So then the ATH-M50 is a good headphone?

I was accustomed to the Senn HD555 and I am expecting the M50 to give a significant bass improvement and overal musical upgrade.

The M50 is worth the money yes?

And specifically worth it over the M audio Q40 yes?

Will I be impressed with the bass of the M50?
Mind you I am no audiophile I just want to hear nice music with deep powerful low tight bass.

Jun 12, 2009 at 4:06 AM Post #36 of 52
I only have a few rap songs in my collection, one of my favorites being Boyz in Da Hood by Easy-E, and the bass is very good. It's not overpowering, but rather presented as the producers wanted it to be, that is to say, prominent
smily_headphones1.gif
The bass is also accurate. The vocals are clear, and the percussion is too. I would recommend going to your local Guitar Center with your source and trying them out before you buy them to see how you like them. Hope this helps!

Jun 12, 2009 at 10:37 AM Post #37 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by tomjonesrocks /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm really tempted and interested. Musician's Friend was selling these and I think they have a respectable return policy. I really need a monitoring headphone after finding MDR-V6 didn't really suit me as a guitar monitor--and have since been debating K240, HD280, Equation RP21s, and these for months.

If anyone does order them, please write a review!

I'm a guitar lover with a pair of ATH M-50 also... And I know the question is weird, but befor adivising you anything, I've got to ask you... What's you guitar, and what do you play with it?

Jun 19, 2009 at 10:06 PM Post #39 of 52
First off, Id like to say that Ive been a long time snooper here, but I felt its time to give back.. so here goes:

I just received my M50's after doing some extensive research... I was looking for some good cans for under 150, primarily for Studio Monitoring use. I produce music, mostly soft rock, electro-rock, and pop-rock. Ive used the Sony 7506's, Senn 280Pros, Sony V700DJ's and now the M50's, and here is my feedback:

Sony 7506
These sound great, and they have a lot of detail. But as many have stated, they are definitely colored. They sound great, but for production use, they are inaccurate. Tracking/recording use is fine, but the mixing is where the weaknesses show up. I end up mixing my tracks a certain way that sound different in every other stereo set up after-the-fact. The bass and treble is emphasized, slightly like turning on the "powerful mode" EQ setting on some home stereos. But on the flip side, these are great cans for just enjoying music through your ipod/computer/etc. These are not as comfortable as the Senn280 or the M50's, as the cans sit on your ear. Dont get me wrong.. these are comfortable, its just that the other two are WAY more comfortable.

Senn280pro
These are great cans. Very neutral and flat... which makes them way more accurate. Very detailed, but not overemphasized. The low end, however, is lacking. I dont get some of the bass resonance that makes kick drums sound beefy, nor the the rumble of 808's. For standard listening, this can be a turn off, as songs seem to lose a bit of life through these headphones. Definitely more for critical listening rather than enjoyment listening.

Sony V700-DJ
These are designed for DJ use, and honestly, they are all these are good for. Great pounding bass, emphasized highs. Almost crap in between. Great SPL, so in a loud club environment, where you need to hear the other song you are about to mix in, its great because it makes beatmatching that much easier. But forget about any quality listening. But if you are a bass monkey, you might like these. These are not as comfortable as the Senns or the AT's.

M50-
I just received these, so they are pretty much factory fresh. I ran them for a few hours to burn them in, but I still have a ways to go. But so far, they have more lower end than the 280pros.. the same song that seemed weak on the drums now sounds more beefy... kind of like the drummer just woke up and realized hes in the middle of a performance. But it wasnt a HUGE difference... 808s are more present, however. The highs are a bit brighter, but not sibilant. The mid bass does sound a tad muddy, but Ive read that after burn-in, they get clearer. Mids sound a hair recessed, but again, hopefully a complete burn in will resolve this. I suspect these are better to rap than the 280's, but I still wouldnt say these are good for using with portable music players.

Overall, the Sen 280pros are the most neutral, the M50 is slightly bass-emphasized over the 280's. But if you are looking in this range and you are looking for rap music, I would suspect that the Sony may serve you better. Typically, rap songs have emphasized highs, with prominent hi-hat/other tweeter elements, with good beefy bass lines and 808's with heart pounding kicks. The Sony 7506's sound great here as they seem focused on these. If you really want SPL bass from headphones, Sony V700dj's all the way. With these cranked up, the 808's practically make these cans vibrate off your head.

Hope this helps.

Oh by the way, if you REALLY want affordable portable earpieces and you dont mind the In-ears, the SONY MDR-EX90LP's are actually pretty awesome... I personally liked them a bit more than the ER6i's and other in ears that cost 3x more! ****BE CAREFUL OF FAKES******THERE ARE LOTS OF FAKE EX90LP's OUT THERE*****

Jun 19, 2009 at 10:46 PM Post #40 of 52
Yours is still new...I found they change a lot after about 50-60 hrs of burn-in.

Jun 20, 2009 at 1:25 AM Post #41 of 52
I should have posted this here: http://http://www.head-fi.org/forums...ooking-430174/

I have found the M50's to be good for most of the hip hop I'm into, like Roots Manuve, and Saul Williams, Jurassic 5... They do synth sounds really well.

I enjoy them for guitar monitoring; they are not flat though, they can make your guitar sound fatter than it is at the speaker of the guitar amp. I have EQ'd that part out of the monitoring though, and found a really true to the way it sounds feel with them... And the EQ-ing isn't all that hard, depending on what you have to EQ with. Once you EQ them, they become quite flat and balanced across the spectrum, at least according to a sine wave... but they do reproduce what I heard at the amp in the room when I listen back through them. The reverb of the room is present, the sound stage is very near correct and so are the mids.

Jun 20, 2009 at 1:38 AM Post #42 of 52
I just got mine today,

First Impretion without burn-in Ok not bad, then after 10 min of listening I didnt like them, the bass was a little to overpowering to the other frequencies(Note I dont think the bass is to much its actually pretty good but I felt it was masking the other frequencies to much)

1 hour later I still wasnt digging them to much

4 hours, ok now theyre starting sound pretty good the higher frequencies are starting to come alive more, but they still need to come out more, and hopefully I will get more detail and and a little more separation in the sound

Ill try to report back later tonight

Jul 8, 2009 at 10:37 AM Post #44 of 52
Hi, I`m a 15 year old from norway. I think i`m going to buy the Audio Technica ath-m50. I want to upgrade from my porta pros...
Im going to use them with the computer, with an mp3 player etc...

Is this a good choice for music listning? Im listening to electronic, house rock etc.. Maybe they are a bit big for my head, maybe they are are just made for mixing and studio monitoring? I want some good sounding headphones that i can have for a long time... Pleas give some responce and tell me what u think?

Jul 8, 2009 at 10:44 AM Post #45 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by soadtt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi, I`m a 15 year old from norway. I think i`m going to buy the Audio Technica ath-m50. I want to upgrade from my porta pros...
Im going to use them with the computer, with an mp3 player etc...

Is this a good choice for music listning? Im listening to electronic, house rock etc.. Maybe they are a bit big for my head, maybe they are are just made for mixing and studio monitoring? I want some good sounding headphones that i can have for a long time... Pleas give some responce and tell me what u think?

Welcome. Yes, FWIR, the M50 should work OK for you. I suggest searching "M50" on Head-Fi for more opinions. You also may want to consider other headphones. If so, I suggest posting a request for help in your own thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back