mofey

New Head-Fier
I am surprised nobody has written about these
blink.gif

http://www.audio-technica.com/cms/he...e4d/index.html

Any thoughts, feelings or suggestions?
evil_smiley.gif

Mar 30, 2007 at 3:02 AM Post #4 of 52
man, they kinda look like ruggedized SJ5s :p. I don't have my hopes up since it seems that AT's studio and DJ cans have typically been pretty lackluster.

Apr 13, 2007 at 11:36 PM Post #6 of 52
Wound up getting some results for these as they're marketed as a studio monitor. I currently have MDR-V6 and am trying out K271S for this purpose--but am finding the latter somewhat fatiguing and the prior coloring my guitar tone a bit too much on the low end. You see all sorts of musicians using MDR-V6 but I'm finding them to be better music headphones than monitoring headphones.

Anyway, these priced at $150 on the street seem to be aimed directly at the K271S. Guess no one around here has checked these out yet. I wonder if my local Guitar Center has these--if so there would be a good chance of giving them a listen. I suspect they'd probably sell them for a little less than $150 with some haggling if I actually liked them.

BTW, here's a new link--the one at the top of the thread didn't seem to take me directly to these.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/produ...nes?sku=240569

Jun 5, 2007 at 7:49 PM Post #9 of 52
I emailed AT directly asking about the M50 in relation to the rest of their line. Here's the reply I got. It sounds promising.
-------------
Hi,
The only immediate differences I see between the M-30`s and the
M50`s is a slightly larger drive (45mm in the M50 versus 40mm in the
M30),a wider frequency response (15-28,000Hz vs 20-20,000Hz) and a lower
impedance (38 ohms vs 65 ohms). I have put in a request for more details
regarding the drivers and a request for a frequency response graph. I
can tell you I have heard the M50`s and they sound better to me than any
of our headphones, regardless of price. I also like the M30`s but have
not listened to them for several months and I did not have the
opportunity to compare them side by side. The 50`s have this huge,
aggressive sound with the best bass I have ever heard through a
headphone. I will provide you more information when it becomes
available.
-------------

It's pretty slick for a studio monitor, which are usually ugly.

Jun 5, 2007 at 8:01 PM Post #10 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by Esidarap /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I emailed AT directly asking about the M50 in relation to the rest of their line. Here's the reply I got. It sounds promising.
-------------
... I can tell you I have heard the M50`s and they sound better to me than any
of our headphones, regardless of price...
-------------

That's an interesting observation and might actually be somewhat valid. My M30's are in storage now but I have been itching to listen to them again. In some ways they might be better than A500 / A900's. The M30's are less ambitious, but don't get much wrong either. M50's could be even more interesting.

Jun 5, 2007 at 8:06 PM Post #12 of 52
As a proud of team AT I'll take one for the team and order one on the 15th when I get my money.
wink.gif

Anyone else up for taking a leap of faith with me?

Jun 5, 2007 at 8:21 PM Post #13 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by Esidarap /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As a proud of team AT I'll take one for the team and order one on the 15th when I get my money.
wink.gif

Anyone else up for taking a leap of faith with me?

Good one. I would, but my wallet says no more headphone impulse buys. If they stay on my want to try list long enough, though, I may be joining you. Look forward to impressions.

Jun 5, 2007 at 9:15 PM Post #14 of 52
I'm really tempted and interested. Musician's Friend was selling these and I think they have a respectable return policy. I really need a monitoring headphone after finding MDR-V6 didn't really suit me as a guitar monitor--and have since been debating K240, HD280, Equation RP21s, and these for months.

If anyone does order them, please write a review!

Jun 6, 2007 at 12:03 AM Post #15 of 52
Strangely enough AT studio/DJ headphones had never had much love in this place. Many found them lackluster but I used a couple of these (M20, Pro6) and found them to be comfortable and non fatiguing for monitoring or long listening sessions. Now the only thing is for me to find enough dough to pull the trigger on these
evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back