Audio Technica ATH M50 vs Beyerdynamic DT990 Premium 32ohms (Help a newbie) :)
May 10, 2012 at 6:45 PM Post #16 of 30
Quote:

Thanks, now that mention that, and after reading the post you recommended what about the Sennheiser HD558? I'm looking for a warm sound especially for rock/alternative and some trance and house, as far as I know the Sennheisers doesn't need an amp, what do you think? The Senns or the M50? 

I really like the sound of my Senn HD558s, but "warm" is not a word I would use to describe them, but they are good all around headphones.

May 10, 2012 at 7:33 PM Post #17 of 30
Quote:

Thanks, now that mention that, and after reading the post you recommended what about the Sennheiser HD558? I'm looking for a warm sound especially for rock/alternative and some trance and house, as far as I know the Sennheisers doesn't need an amp, what do you think? The Senns or the M50? 

For me it's the Senns hands down.  I don't like the "V" and very much like the balanced, smooth whiskey sound signature of the Senns.

Jun 7, 2012 at 7:59 PM Post #18 of 30
i completely disagree ,the only advantage of the dt 990 pro is the soundstage.try comparing both with amp.google piercing high dt 990 pro.dt 990 pro basically is a dt 880 pro with emphasis on high and low end with recessed mids.general misconception about m50 is you can use w/o amp.with the right amp to match this m50 and you will be surprise.female vocals with dt 990 pro is just unbearable to listen to and very inaccurate cans.

Jun 7, 2012 at 9:11 PM Post #19 of 30
Quote:
i completely disagree ,the only advantage of the dt 990 pro is the soundstage.try comparing both with amp.google piercing high dt 990 pro.dt 990 pro basically is a dt 880 pro with emphasis on high and low end with recessed mids.general misconception about m50 is you can use w/o amp.with the right amp to match this m50 and you will be surprise.female vocals with dt 990 pro is just unbearable to listen to and very inaccurate cans.

They're a great headphone once equalized, though. 

Jun 7, 2012 at 11:35 PM Post #20 of 30
What about AKG K550? You can drive it without any amp(you don't really get better sound with amp with these cans.)

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Jun 10, 2012 at 6:45 PM Post #22 of 30
I like open cans audition the headphones before purchasing don't go by brand.Some cans are good with instruments,accoustic,jazz,orchestra,rocks and vocals but not all genres.Also some reviewers are just front for certain brands so try before buying and compare.Take advantage of the 30 or 90 day return policy of most stores.audio technica ath-ad700 sell for 90 online or if budget is not an issue try audio technica ath-ad900.it doesn't require amp but will make significant improvement with the right amp.my hwadphones are audio technica ath-ad700-900,sennheiser hd 650,akg k701,m50,ultrasone edition 8 and my favorites are the audio technicas.burnt in for headphones to get there full potential.listen to all genres of music, listen and compare then decide.

Jun 10, 2012 at 7:54 PM Post #23 of 30
I have a Sony Walkman mp3 player. It has very mid-centric sound sig, so a headphone with a V-shape sound sig, like the M50 and DT990 (and I'll throw in any Denon headphone), would nicely balance the overall sound. The M50 and the DT sound similar, except the vocal presentation is more forward on the M50, which is the preference of many for modern-type music. The M50 also gives better isolation and is sturdy enough to be used outdoors.

However, I would highly recommend the ATH-WS55 for more portability and more forward-sounding presentation, especially nice for rock. Plus, they sound awesome with the Sony Walkman.

Jun 11, 2012 at 6:36 AM Post #24 of 30
Quote:
I have a Sony Walkman mp3 player. It has very mid-centric sound sig, so a headphone with a V-shape sound sig, like the M50 and DT990 (and I'll throw in any Denon headphone), would nicely balance the overall sound. The M50 and the DT sound similar, except the vocal presentation is more forward on the M50, which is the preference of many for modern-type music. The M50 also gives better isolation and is sturdy enough to be used outdoors.

However, I would highly recommend the ATH-WS55 for more portability and more forward-sounding presentation, especially nice for rock. Plus, they sound awesome with the Sony Walkman.

Maybe you're correct, but how do you know that your player is mid-centric?  Maybe it's just underpowered for what you are using with it or it's just not very good.  What cans and other equipment did you use to test it?  Do your M50's, which have recessed mids, sound neutral with it?  What is the Ohm rating of your DT 990?

If you are correct, you need to use a better player to power (with or without an additional amp) cans with the quality of the M50 and DT 990.

Jun 11, 2012 at 6:30 PM Post #25 of 30
Quote:
Maybe you're correct, but how do you know that your player is mid-centric?  Maybe it's just underpowered for what you are using with it or it's just not very good.  What cans and other equipment did you use to test it?  Do your M50's, which have recessed mids, sound neutral with it?  What is the Ohm rating of your DT 990?

If you are correct, you need to use a better player to power (with or without an additional amp) cans with the quality of the M50 and DT 990.

The Sony Walkman sounds mid-centric compared to my Ipod Classic 7th Gen and my Cowon J3, at least to my ears. I do have an Alo Rx MkII amp and a Fiio E11 amp but most of the time I prefer to go ampless. Just like the original poster:

Quote:
However I might be a little more specific: I intend to use the headphones with my portable mp3 player (Sony Walkman) and I'd really like to avoid buying an amp

If the original poster prefers going ampless through a Walkman, then something like the ATH-WS55 or the Creative Aurvana Live headphone would suffice. Both light headphones for portable use, both synergize nicely with the Walkman and both have a nice presentation of modern-type music.

Jun 11, 2012 at 8:51 PM Post #26 of 30
DT990 sounds way better than M50 IMO, but does have a more V-shaped frequency response. Sound quality is much higher on DT990 - bass is much more textured, better layered, tighter and more powerful, yet also more controlled than the bass on M50, which could often intrude into the lower mids. The midrange is a bit less present on DT990 vs. M50, but it has tons more detail and is more even sounding as well. The treble is quite hot on the DT990s, but not harsh and of great quality which is really important and means that it can be equalized down pretty easily with great results. The treble on M50, on the other hand, while more neutral and easier on the ears, is also of much lower quality - it has a very noticeable metallic coloration to it, it is quite thin and pretty "dead" overall, lacking real air, depth, proper timbre. DT990 highs are so much more vibrant and alive. Probably the biggest difference between the two though is the stereo soundstage - M50 has nothing on the DT990s in this regard at all. In fact, M50 has no real soundstage to speak of - it is all left and right with almost nothing in between and little to no sense of depth front to back. Plus it has a fuzzy, poorly defined imaging. DT990 has a huge soundstage by comparison with excellent left to right stereo separation and a great sense of depth to the sound. Separation is much better on DT990 and imaging is much sharper than what you get with M50. Really, these two headphones are in completely different leagues - DT990 belongs in a much higher tier.

With that being said, I don't recommend the 32 Ohm version of DT990 as it won't sound quite as good as its 250 and 600 Ohm siblings. Even if all of them will be driven unamped straight from an iPod level source, the higher Ohm versions will still sound cleaner and better because they actually put less strain on the amp than the lower impedance model leading to lower distortion and other unwanted artefacts of headphone/amp interaction. The only downside is that the higher Ohm versions will obviously play quieter, although I would consider the 250 Ohm one just about loud enough for listening to mainstream music through an iPod or source of similar power output. Ideally, you would want the 600 Ohm version for best sound quality though, but 250 Ohm is not far behind and both sound significantly cleaner than 32 Ohms out of stuff like iPod. Also, I recommend DT990 Pro instead of the Premium edition as it costs a lot less and sounds pretty much the same with some minor differences due to the somewhat different housing and clamping force.

EDIT: If you are looking for warm sound, the HD650 is the one you want though, but it also costs more than DT990. With some equalization, DT990 can also be made to sound warmish, but it is really a rather dry, analytical headphone at heart. HD650 will give you a smooth, lush and full presentation that DT990 will not and also probably provides somewhat better overall sound quality as well, which is understandable given the price difference. I really like both personally, although if I could only own one, it would definitely be HD650 as it's the better sounding, balanced and versatile of the two. Both wipe the floor with M50.

As for the lower end Sennheisers, I own the HD555 which I modded slightly by removing the "sound reflectors" from inside the cups behind the driver which improved the sense of space and tightened up the bass a quite a bit. I would say that the HD555, which is apparently almost the same as HD558 and not too far behind HD598 (they all share the same drivers), retains a warm, full and lush presentationthat is quite similar to that of HD650, but lacks the resolution of HD650. The 500 series are quite a step down from the 600 series in resolution and transparency, but are still warm and inviting in presentation. They sound very pleasant and fairly accurate for their price. They are still much more natural sounding than M50 to my ears, especially in the treble, where the open backs usually separate themselves the most from closed backs  from my experience. Basically, HD555 is free of the metallic coloration of the M50 and sounds much more delicate and refined. They are not too far apart in resolution, but HD555 sounds quite a bit more textured and focused, whereas M50 sounds bland and washed out by comparison. HD555 has a much tighter bass without the M50 boom and bloat, much fuller richer mids (especially after the mod) and quite a large soundstage (again, after the mod - before soundstage was a bit closed in) with good depth, air separation and better imaging than what M50 can ever muster. I would say that if you want the warm, full, lush presentation and can't afford Sennheiser 600 series, than the 558/598 are excellent lower priced alternatives that are much better sounding than M50, or any other closed back over the ear headphone I've heard in their price range or lower for that matter (except perhaps for Orthodynamics). Still if you can afford it, I would suggest the HD650, or at least HD600 and if you are OK with doing a bit of equalizing, then the DT990 Pro is a steal in the sub $200 range they sell for as they will be a noticeable step up from HD558/598 in sound quality.

Jun 12, 2012 at 11:09 PM Post #27 of 30
I will preface my post by saying that, although I read and try to get information on headphones as much as I can, I do not have a wealth of technical knowledge, so my apologies.

I have both the Audio Technica ATH-M50 (coiled cord) and the Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro 250 ohms. Both of them are the best headphones I have purchased up to now, but I have different uses for each as they sound different depending on the device you use them with.

I use the DT990 exclusively for home use for the computer and home theater system when I watch movies or play music late at night and do not want to bother the neighbors. To my ears, the DT990's sound amazingly insane: the highs and lows are superb, and they have basically the perfect balance for what I look for in headphones. Having said that, the DT990's do not sound as good (for me) when using it with an iPod or an mp3 player. They do not sound as rich as when plugged into my home theater system (maybe because an iPod/mp3 player cannot drive these headphones the way a, say, home theater system can?).

On the other hand, the Audio Technica ATH-M50's sound excellent with the iPod or the mp3 players that I've had. The bass is definitely there, but it's not overpowering (and believe me, I love bass). The M50's strike, for me, a perfect balance for use with an mp3 player. The only thing is that if they are for outside use, they are a bit too big, but I do not mind that, as I put sound quality over personal image, and sound quality is what we're talking about here...

Out of the two, the DT990 250 ohms are definitely superior, but not for an mp3 player, for which the ATH-M50's would be more suited.

(I also agree with Pianist that the DT990 250 ohms are superior in sound to the 32 ohms.)

Just my two cents...

Jul 27, 2012 at 8:01 AM Post #29 of 30
Hey JeSuisMusique 
I also have M50 right now and i'm thinking to buy a new headphone for upgrade and i've been checking alot on the reviews about the DT-990 250ohm.
Since you have both i hope you could share your experience in more details using the 2 headphones.
What's the pros and cons and which headphone is better on different several genres of music.

Thanks 

Sep 13, 2012 at 6:46 PM Post #30 of 30
Quote:
Hey JeSuisMusique 
I also have M50 right now and i'm thinking to buy a new headphone for upgrade and i've been checking alot on the reviews about the DT-990 250ohm.
Since you have both i hope you could share your experience in more details using the 2 headphones.
What's the pros and cons and which headphone is better on different several genres of music.

Thanks 

I have both the dt 990 32 and ATH M50 (well my wife has that one), and to be honest after hearing the M50 I hated my Dt 990, they just sound WAY better and my dt 990 is hooked up to an amp as well, I kept hearing about this airiness quality that the DT990 has and big sound stage but frankly it just sounds like fadded sound from speakers far away, like tv screen with dull colors almost, its just not fun and the sound leakage is enough for my wife to hear it from the other room sometimes (actually when i was burning them in on half volume we had to cover them with a blanket to stop the noise from reaching our bedroom at night lol).

and funny enough I bought it based on Mad Lust Envy guide to gaming headphones as I intended to use them with Dolby headphones for movies/gaming as well as music for the whole sound stage, but they suck in that as well compared to the M50 that is supposed to be "bad" for gaming, they actually are remarkably accurate for positioning and gives you this great shudder down your spine and big smile on your face when watching movies with, 614 reviews on amazon gave it 4 stars and a half for a reason :wink: and all for less than half the price.

go M50, you wont regret it, I am looking to sell my DT 990 now and buy an M50 instead.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back