Audio Technica ATH M50 vs Beyerdynamic DT990 Premium 32ohms (Help a newbie) :)
May 6, 2012 at 10:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

Darm705

New Head-Fier
Hey! This is my first post here and I thought this would be the best place to get some opinions about my dilemma. I'm getting into the headphones realm and the more I read, the more I want. I have to say that I´ve tried several Sony headphones and earphones and some Bose as well, but after reading a lot of material about audiophillia I think that's my call. I'm really picky about the sound quality and through the years I've tried to achieve the best possible listening experience... At first I was a basshead, but after some time I guess I grew up and figured out that I wanted to get the best out of the music even if the bass wasn't the main thing to focuse in, although I'd still appreciate a nice bass response. That being said, after reading a lot I decided to take a leap and go with any of the following options: the Audio Technica ATH M50 or the Beyerdynamic DT990 Premium 32Ohms.

First, I'm not planning to buy any headphone amp by now so I need a pair that can be powered through my mp3 device, that's why I chose the 32ohms version of the DT990. 

Money it's not a big issue, since I've found the Beyers to be around $100 more expensive than the Audio Technica and I don't really care of giving a little more cash if the DT990 deserves it.

So, I'm looking for a headphones that really delivers the BEST audio quality from these 2. As I mencioned before, I do like bass but I don't want it to make the mids and treble to sound dim or "dark" in any way. I'm really curious about soundstage since I've never owned a pair of open cans and I'm looking forward to that experience. I like my music to have a "warm" feeling to it, but also really clear and all in all, enjoyable. I'd also love to have a big detail in the music, hear everything in a track and being able to distinguish the little (and big) details and instruments. I listen to a lot of genres from jazz to electronica and rock (lots of it) :)

I'll be using my headphones in a private space so sound leakage is not a big deal. 

After some time I've really narrowed my options to these two and I would really appreciate a lot some feedback and advice :) 

Thank you guys again and sorry for my English :)

David

May 7, 2012 at 1:18 AM Post #2 of 30
They both have a "V" shaped EQ, so you will be getting plenty of bass (since you've disclaimed you former "basshead" title).

The Beyer is the better can--even in a 32 Ohm version.  Can't tell you which is the better value, as I don't know where you are or the prices there.

May 7, 2012 at 4:12 AM Post #3 of 30
Quote:
Hey! This is my first post here and I thought this would be the best place to get some opinions about my dilemma. I'm getting into the headphones realm and the more I read, the more I want. I have to say that I´ve tried several Sony headphones and earphones and some Bose as well, but after reading a lot of material about audiophillia I think that's my call. I'm really picky about the sound quality and through the years I've tried to achieve the best possible listening experience... At first I was a basshead, but after some time I guess I grew up and figured out that I wanted to get the best out of the music even if the bass wasn't the main thing to focuse in, although I'd still appreciate a nice bass response. That being said, after reading a lot I decided to take a leap and go with any of the following options: the Audio Technica ATH M50 or the Beyerdynamic DT990 Premium 32Ohms.
First, I'm not planning to buy any headphone amp by now so I need a pair that can be powered through my mp3 device, that's why I chose the 32ohms version of the DT990. 
Money it's not a big issue, since I've found the Beyers to be around $100 more expensive than the Audio Technica and I don't really care of giving a little more cash if the DT990 deserves it.
So, I'm looking for a headphones that really delivers the BEST audio quality from these 2. As I mencioned before, I do like bass but I don't want it to make the mids and treble to sound dim or "dark" in any way. I'm really curious about soundstage since I've never owned a pair of open cans and I'm looking forward to that experience. I like my music to have a "warm" feeling to it, but also really clear and all in all, enjoyable. I'd also love to have a big detail in the music, hear everything in a track and being able to distinguish the little (and big) details and instruments. I listen to a lot of genres from jazz to electronica and rock (lots of it) :)
I'll be using my headphones in a private space so sound leakage is not a big deal. 
After some time I've really narrowed my options to these two and I would really appreciate a lot some feedback and advice :) 
Thank you guys again and sorry for my English :)

The DT990 Premium 32-Ohm is not as easy to drive as other 32-Ohm headphones.
So you might need to invest in a headphone amplifier anyway.

May 10, 2012 at 2:30 PM Post #6 of 30
Quote:
the dt990s plus a amp sound much better than the m50s but the m50s are a better value

Quote:
The DT990 Premium 32-Ohm is not as easy to drive as other 32-Ohm headphones.
So you might need to invest in a headphone amplifier anyway.

Quote:
They both have a "V" shaped EQ, so you will be getting plenty of bass (since you've disclaimed you former "basshead" title).

The Beyer is the better can--even in a 32 Ohm version.  Can't tell you which is the better value, as I don't know where you are or the prices there.

Hey, thank you guys for your replies. However I might be a little more specific: I intend to use the headphones with my portable mp3 player (Sony Walkman) and I'd really like to avoid buying an amp. Mi budget is around 200-300 (as I have found the Beyes at $245 in Amazon) But I've also read that the DT990 PRO is a little harsh with the treble, does the DT990 Premium suffers in the same way? If not, DT990 Pro is considerabily cheaper than the Premium one so maybe a DT990 Pro plus an amp combo would suit me better than just the 32ohm premium? Is there a considerably improvement in sound quality? Thank you again!

May 10, 2012 at 2:36 PM Post #7 of 30
Quote:
But I've also read that the DT990 PRO is a little harsh with the treble, does the DT990 Premium suffers in the same way?

All versions of the DT990 have bright treble. The DT990 Pro with an E11 could very well work better than the DT990-32 directly from a portable player or computer onboard audio. Nevertheless, the 32 Ohm version is not bad if you do not like the idea of using a portable amplifier, and it also looks better.

May 10, 2012 at 2:55 PM Post #8 of 30
I've owned both the M50's and the DT990s.

I preferred the M50's.  I found the M50 to be more natural sounding.  The DT990 sound like someone turned the bass and treble up to 10.

Of course when I bought the M50's a few years back they were only $90 or so..

When you get in a car, do you turn the treble and bass on the car stereo all the way up?  If you do, I would get the DT990.  If you don't, I would get the M50s.  The m50's also have the extra benefit of being able to be used outside the house some on trips and such..

May 10, 2012 at 3:10 PM Post #10 of 30
Headphones are such a subjective thing - I would try to buy a few sets used until you find the type of sound sig you prefer - then you can move up the ladder into the nicer headphones that deliver that kind of sound.

For instance - I know I do not like bright phones - Grados, DT990, anything else that has a similar treble spike.  Some love these phones though.

I like the sennheiser sound - like HD600 and shure SE535 - others find these boring.

You can go to headphone.com and compare frequency response graphs there.  I find it helpful when trying to decide what headphones I may like.

May 10, 2012 at 3:43 PM Post #11 of 30
Without an amp your choices are limited, especially if you don't want Grados.  Check these buying guides for can rated "1".  A "2" might work for for, but it's iffy.

http://www.head-fi.org/a/headphone-buying-guide

and

http://www.head-fi.org/a/buying-guide-headphones-by-price-range

May 10, 2012 at 4:02 PM Post #12 of 30
Quote:
Headphones are such a subjective thing - I would try to buy a few sets used until you find the type of sound sig you prefer - then you can move up the ladder into the nicer headphones that deliver that kind of sound.

For instance - I know I do not like bright phones - Grados, DT990, anything else that has a similar treble spike.  Some love these phones though.

I like the sennheiser sound - like HD600 and shure SE535 - others find these boring.

You can go to headphone.com and compare frequency response graphs there.  I find it helpful when trying to decide what headphones I may like.

Agreed. I'm also fan of warmer sounding headphones, I think you have a very important point when you talk about brightness, since I don't like that "sss" "tsss" shrill sound. Maybe it's a good idea to go with M50 by now and then move to better headphones. As I'm almost new to headphones I think that might be the right choice, thanks fo the advice!

May 10, 2012 at 5:39 PM Post #15 of 30
Quote:
If you like the "V" shaped EQ, the M50 is a good choice for you.

Thanks, now that mention that, and after reading the post you recommended what about the Sennheiser HD558? I'm looking for a warm sound especially for rock/alternative and some trance and house, as far as I know the Sennheisers doesn't need an amp, what do you think? The Senns or the M50? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back