Audio-Technica ATH-M50 vs. ATH-PRO700 SV vs. ATH-A700
Jan 7, 2011 at 10:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Dare

New Head-Fier
Hello.

I have been searching for a great pair of headphones at around $100. I first came across the M50 and was amazed by all of the positive reviews. Later I came across the PRO700 SV and A700 for around the same price but, I don't really know much about them. I was wondering if someone could help me make a decision between these three headphones by telling me what differs between them, and what each headphone accels at.
I would be using these headphones for many things, but mostly listening to music.

If you can help, thank you!

Jan 29, 2011 at 5:20 PM Post #3 of 5
From what I read, M50 has a slightly raised lower end, meaning a little more bass. It has been described before as a warm headphone.

From personal experience with the A700, it also has raised bass as well as very high treble. It is very detailed pair. I found the mid's quite recessed though. They are extremely comfy as well as ginormous.

no idea about Pro 700

Feb 1, 2011 at 1:15 AM Post #5 of 5
No idea on Earth why the a700 is more expensive than m50's.  Just got the m50's today, and to me they sound better than the a700's before burn in.

here is a quick little comparison I guess

a700's- bigger soundstage.  tinny sounding.  vocals are tinny.  The mids are a little more pronounced

m50's- Before burn in, the bass seems about equal or greater.  So I am sure about a week from now, that margin will be much greater.  Bass and everything else is already getting noticably better after 7 hours.  Clarity is much much better.  Its not tinny sounding at all.  I would say the mids sound more clear, they are just not as pronounced on these as the a700's, which to me is not really a downside at all.  The soundstage is not as large as the a700.  It is still very good and not worth worrying about.   

I am not really super knowledgable about this stuff, so I will just close it by saying the m50's sound better.  Its hard to put my finger on exactly how or why, they just do I guess.

The a700's are huge.  I woulld not wear them in public.  The m50's are smaller and look better on me.  They look nice and I will most definately be able to feel cool wearing them at the library.  They fit me good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back