Audio Technica ATH-M50: Straight vs. Coiled
Oct 9, 2011 at 11:04 AM Post #17 of 23
can someone let me know if the coiled one pulls the weight down heavily on one side of the ear? because i've been reading that they are too heavy. i would want to go for the straight ones but they are too long. and the coiled ones seem like the perfect length but might be too heavy.

i'm using these at home and won't be moving around much. also the straight ones IIRC were introduced after the coiled ones, in this case, if i get coiled ones, am i getting technologically inferior ones?

also, are there any chances of being able to change the cable cords by yourself? would love to have straight short ones.

Oct 10, 2011 at 12:49 AM Post #18 of 23
can someone let me know if the coiled one pulls the weight down heavily on one side of the ear? because i've been reading that they are too heavy. i would want to go for the straight ones but they are too long. and the coiled ones seem like the perfect length but might be too heavy.

i'm using these at home and won't be moving around much. also the straight ones IIRC were introduced after the coiled ones, in this case, if i get coiled ones, am i getting technologically inferior ones?

also, are there any chances of being able to change the cable cords by yourself? would love to have straight short ones.

Can anyone help? Going to the store to grab one later! :D :)

Apr 17, 2013 at 4:02 PM Post #19 of 23
I'm having the exact same decision, but I really don't care about utility, I'm more looking to see if having a coiled cable will affect the sound quality at all, because if it does, I'd gladly give up conveniency of the coiled for the better sound. Is there any sonic difference between coiled and straight?

May 7, 2013 at 12:01 PM Post #20 of 23
Quote:
I'm having the exact same decision, but I really don't care about utility, I'm more looking to see if having a coiled cable will affect the sound quality at all, because if it does, I'd gladly give up conveniency of the coiled for the better sound. Is there any sonic difference between coiled and straight?

I could see no reason whay AT would use an inferior cable in the coiled version.

As long as it's a quality OFC used I see no possibility for any differences in sound.

I'm debating the same dillema myself...but the coiled is $6 less at Amazon right now so it's toss up.

I'll have to play around with my Sony cans with the coiled cable and decide.

I usually sit 8 feet away from my home setup so I don't want the coiled cable weight to be a factor.

May 7, 2013 at 12:21 PM Post #21 of 23
I chose the coiled for mine.

If the straight cable was not as stupidly long, then I would've gone with it as I generally prefer straight to coiled.

I use my M50s at the computer/desk and rarely go for jolly walks around the room with the headphones on, so if I had got the straight one I probably would have it partially coiled and cable-tied - effectively defeating the convenience of a straight cable.

Aug 23, 2013 at 4:20 PM Post #22 of 23
Any coiled cords I've had look awful after a while. Parts of the coil tend to stretch more than others according to the points where they rest or hang or pull during use. So the coil looks uneven and very different to when it was "fresh". Slack in some places, tight in others.
Also, trying to unravel a knotted coiled cable is a nightmare, and adds to deformation of the coil when trying to unravel the mess. I'll never choose another coiled cable over a straight, especially if its a fixed (non-replaceable) cable.

Feb 14, 2014 at 10:51 AM Post #23 of 23
I purchased the coiled version, but I'm really having second thoughts. The way my desk is designed, the coiled wraps around parts of the desk and makes lots of internal noise when moving. Thankfully a basic extension cord seemed to fix that, but the M50's plug doesn't stay still very well with the cord and is prone to moving and changing the sound quality. I'm also wondering if the coiled pulls down too much as well.

I too was concerned about portable use, but honestly, I rarely walk around listening to music, so I could just see myself wrapping the wire when I'm in the car.

Unless there's some kind of cheap extension that will make the cord stay in place? I don't want to spend too much more because the coiled was a full $20 more than the straight cable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back