Audio Technica ATH-M50: Straight vs. Coiled
Dec 7, 2009 at 12:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

wheels1107

New Head-Fier
I am probably going to pick up a pair of ATH-M50s this week. I was wondering if I should get the straight or coiled cable version. I'm probably going to use them mainly for car/plane rides, and listening/gaming at the computer. The straight cable looks like it might be way too long for portable use, so I am leaning towards the coiled version.

Thanks for the help!

Dec 7, 2009 at 4:38 AM Post #3 of 23
since it sounds like you're going to be very close to your sound source, i'd say go with the coiled cord because there will be less cord to worry about. a long cord can be unwieldy.

Dec 7, 2009 at 4:40 AM Post #4 of 23
I'd go with coiled as well if you are using it mainly portable.

Dec 7, 2009 at 5:32 AM Post #5 of 23
thanks guys!

hey techfreakazoid, was the straight cord monstrously long? it's listed as 11 ft. compared to the coiled cord's 3-9 (extendable). it seems like I'd be tripping over it all the time.

Dec 7, 2009 at 1:22 PM Post #7 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by wheels1107 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
thanks guys!

hey techfreakazoid, was the straight cord monstrously long? it's listed as 11 ft. compared to the coiled cord's 3-9 (extendable). it seems like I'd be tripping over it all the time.

My 's' is just short of 11 feet. The length is not overly worrisome as the cables are flexible and not thick (about 6 AWG). If you'll be using the phones on the go, I recommend going with straight cables. On the other hand, if the phones will be used in a stationary environment i.e., attached to a home rig, then coiled works well. In a nutshell, straight equates to less bulk and coiled equates to less tangles.

Feb 7, 2010 at 4:01 AM Post #8 of 23
Sorry for the 2 month bump, but which one did you end up going for wheels1107?

I'm in the same boat, and can't figure out which one, who knew it would be such a dilemma!
biggrin.gif
Thanks for the information though everybody.

Feb 7, 2010 at 5:09 AM Post #9 of 23
I like the straight cord (though I haven't tried the coiled). I use it w/ my mp3 in pocket and laptop. When I'm using my mp3, I take the bulk of the slack w/ the twistie tie the cord came w/ and let it sit in my left pocket (which fits well w/ phone, wallet ect w/o problem). Then i leave enough slack to go from left pocket to right pocket and I can change the song whenever I want w/o having to deal w/ the slack of cord when I stick my hand in my pocket.

Feb 7, 2010 at 11:13 AM Post #11 of 23
I have the coiled and it makes me wonder why other manufacturers don't use it more, it's functionally great as a compromise between the benefits of shorter and longer cables. Go for it.

Feb 7, 2010 at 11:35 AM Post #12 of 23
Hmm... Yeah I think I'm leaning towards the coiled. I'm an IEM guy, but I'm still buying these mainly for portable use, and I suppose I can just get an extension cable for use in the house. The only thing is some people have posted that the straight cable is better for portable use, since it can be wounded more compact I'm assuming.

beerchug.gif

Feb 7, 2010 at 2:29 PM Post #13 of 23
I´m completely unable to understand how straight cable would be better for portable... I personally don´t have good ideas about to where put over 2 meters of extra cable. Of course coiled cable is thicker when coiled, but at least for me, the lenght would be around perfect when coiled. And in stationary use, coiled has it all. Though, if the source is constantly far, coiled cable will cause tension naturally.

Feb 7, 2010 at 6:25 PM Post #14 of 23
I use straight cable when I want to stand up and dance for example. The disadvantage is that my office chair sometimes will run over the cable. I use the headphone with the coiled cable when I sit down mostly. The disadvantage of the coil cable is more weight or pulling on one side of the headphone and the coil can be microphonic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back