Audio-Technica ATH-M50...still the best under $200 headphone?
Jan 4, 2014 at 4:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

P098

New Head-Fier
Hello,

I currently own Sony MH-1C earbuds, they sound brilliant, but i want to upgrade to full size headphones, my budget is $200, I want headphones with great bass without compromising the mids and high, so if im in mood of some smooth jazz, i can enjoy it without getting frustrated about the booming bass, and if im in the mood of some club beats i can be able to feel the bass too, upon researching i found that people speak highly about the Audio-Technica ATH-M50s, just want to know if they will be able to fulfill my specific needs? or should i go with Sony MDR-7506/Sony MDR-V6 or any other headphone for that matter.

Auditioning is not possible for me so please post wider range of available choices.

Mods, I apologies if Ive posted in the wrong thread, please move my post if necessary.

EDIT: I wont be amping them, so they should sound their best without it.

EDIT#2: Im looking for tight and very very deep and accurate bass without sacrificing the mids and highs

Jan 4, 2014 at 5:44 AM Post #5 of 14
My own opinion, but Head-Fi is filled with people that praise the M50, but for the price I'd rather spend about that same amount for the Creative Aurvana Live! 2. And even then you are looking still at the $120 - $130 range, lots of choices in the $100 - $200 range. Again, my opinion, but there are plenty of other great choices.

Jan 4, 2014 at 5:49 AM Post #6 of 14
I might be biased but HD 449 seems to very nice cans. It also have great bass, very clean.
I listened to M50 and M35 in electronics shop, and honestly, wasn't much impressed but it was short time. I had an intention to buy Audio Technica's AD500x, but the huge size also didn't entice me. Ended up buying Beyerdynamics dtx501p and think its a great phone.

Jan 4, 2014 at 7:15 AM Post #7 of 14
They are not the best at all in that range.

DT770 - Bassy, Sparkly and Fun.

Skull Candy Aviator - Balanced, Nice tone.

Grado SR60i - Aggressive, Energetic.

Brainwavz HM5 - Balanced, Good bass potential.

Skull Candy Mix Master - Balanced, slight bass boost.

Shure SRH440 - Detailed, Balance.

Sony MA900 - Massive stage, warm and balanced (These are fookin incredible and are on the same level as the Sennheiser HD 650 and 600)

There are a few more but all these  Irate Over the M50 for their purposes. The Aviator gets an extra mention because they are really excellent for the price! and the MA900 are a steal at the price.

Jan 7, 2014 at 3:46 PM Post #10 of 14
They are definitely decent headphones, but I think there are a lot better options right now.  You can get AKG Q701,Beyerdynamic DT-880DT,DT990,DT770, or Sennheiser HD598 on Amazon for less than $200 right now. All would be far better than the M50's. I bought a pair of M50's a few years ago and was pretty happy with them but they do have some pretty glairing flaws IMO(hot treble/recessed mids/ overpowering bass). Especially in light of the fact that some formally close to $400 headphones are now being sold for under $200.

Jan 7, 2014 at 4:05 PM Post #11 of 14
  They are definitely decent headphones, but I think there are a lot better options right now.  You can get AKG Q701,Beyerdynamic DT-880DT,DT990,DT770, or Sennheiser HD598 on Amazon for less than $200 right now. All would be far better than the M50's. I bought a pair of M50's a few years ago and was pretty happy with them but they do have some pretty glairing flaws IMO(hot treble/recessed mids/ overpowering bass). Especially in light of the fact that some formally close to $400 headphones are now being sold for under $200.

Your suggestions are great except some of these require some amping for them to truly shine. The Q701 and HD598, I find lack bass, a feature the OP is looking for. The DT990 can be found for 150 new and may fit what you are looking for.

Jan 14, 2014 at 11:48 AM Post #12 of 14
how is Superlux HD 668B? here in India they are worth about $50, some people say they rival $200 headphones? they even claim that is produces same sound as dt990, is it true? im willing to give up on some bass if i get to save some big cash..

Jan 14, 2014 at 12:19 PM Post #13 of 14
  how is Superlux HD 668B? here in India they are worth about $50, some people say they rival $200 headphones? they even claim that is produces same sound as dt990, is it true? im willing to give up on some bass if i get to save some big cash..

668 has been quite a favourite on headfi. But is an open headphone.
Check out the superlux lineup. Great bang for the buck each of them.

I guess its a good idea to tell us which brands or models you have i india. \In case not every model is available

Users who are viewing this thread

Back