Audio Technica ATH-M50 or Alessandro: MS-1i
Oct 6, 2010 at 6:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

congregation

New Head-Fier

I've finally decided to grab myself a half decent pair of Headphones and would love a hand in choosing my first pair of cans;
My budget for a starting pair is around $120 and my choice of music is mostly Rock and Metal and also some Electronic / Techno

After browsing previous threads I have narrowed the choices down to either  the Alessandro MS1i  or Audio Technica ATH-M50 
I was originally going for the Alessandro MS1is because of their open design and great reviews they were getting but then found the M50, which had almost unanimously good reviews.

because the headphones are going to be mostly for home use sound leakage and isolation is a non-issue (in fact isolation is a negative for me 
smily_headphones1.gif
) This was one of the reasons I was originally leaning towards the  MS1s, because of the general open>closed rule when it comes to SQ and comfort

would love to hear some feedback on which pair people prefer! 

Oct 6, 2010 at 6:20 AM Post #2 of 21
No it's not "Open > Closed" they are different that is all, neither is better they are just different. To me I prefer closed headphones or at the most semi-open. that;s me though and if you've never had a good pair then you need to understand that your ideals are no the same as everyone else. So yeah following rules of thumbs doesn't apply when it's not your thumbs.

What type of music are you interested in listening too?

Oct 6, 2010 at 6:29 AM Post #3 of 21

Quote:
No it's not "Open > Closed" they are different that is all, neither is better they are just different. To me I prefer closed headphones or at the most semi-open. that;s me though and if you've never had a good pair then you need to understand that your ideals are no the same as everyone else. So yeah following rules of thumbs doesn't apply when it's not your thumbs.

What type of music are you interested in listening too?

I did say open>closed general rule. I should have have clarified that I meant that open>closed SQ when compared to price. 
I have heard that open headphones will sound better compared with closed headphones in the same price range
By all means correct me if I am wrong. 

I have already given my preferred genres. 

Oct 6, 2010 at 6:50 AM Post #4 of 21

Quote:
I did say open>closed general rule. I should have have clarified that I meant that open>closed SQ when compared to price. 
I have heard that open headphones will sound better compared with closed headphones in the same price range
By all means correct me if I am wrong. 

I have already given my preferred genres. 

Well I prefered the SQ of Creative Aurvana Lives to an AD700 and the CAL is a good 10-20 cheaper. I prefered RX700's to HD555's and it's a good 25-75 cheaper.

So yeah my personal taste(refined from experience) has led me to like closed headphones more, I just prefer the seal they create and the full bodied sound you get from them. Detail whore cans as I like to call them are hardly a benefit to me, and even if it sounds good on paper in practice its a little bit ugly. the fac that your headphones are cynical can actually makle your songs sound bad when compared to headphones that are forgiving.

I know your new but as a rule of thumb( haha) throw your concept of "Better" out of the window, it just doesn't work with audio gear at all. Until you are attuned to what you prefer your concept of "Better" i purely metaphase and therefore worthless.

Oct 6, 2010 at 7:26 AM Post #6 of 21
Open headphone will offering "different" ambience than Close. Some people prefer close, and the others prefer open.

For me who always listening through Open headphone, it's a bit hard for me to like the close headphone, I'm not saying the close is worse, it's just has different taste.

so I think you know now what I'll chose between your 2 options
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 6, 2010 at 8:10 AM Post #7 of 21

Quote:
haha ok. People do seem to be very subjective when it comes to their audio around here 
k701smile.gif

would you have any standout suggestions for a closed headphone in my price range, then?

I usually tell people to NOT spend to m,uch on their first set, once you refine your tastes then yes you can drop a few hundred dollars on your next set. Rx700's can be found for $35 new or $25 used to my ears they are good on just about everything cept for comfort and portable use which they are bulky even for home use.

Closed

Monitors: AKA flat response lots of details. Okay at everything or mediocre at everything depending on how you look at it.
Shure SR440's
Sony MDR V6 or 7506( basically the same)
Koss Pro4AA

Basshead cans: Lots of good bass , good impact for dance and if EQ'd correctly are amazing for Metal.
Sennhieser HD212
Sony  MDR XB500
Shure SR750DJ

Bass Emphasized: More relaxed laid back if you will, they have great extention both directions. To me these are the classic closed headphones.
JVC RX700/900
Audio Technica ATH-A700
Audio Technica ATH M50

Smooth speakers:
Creative Aurvana Live
Sennheiser HD428

And I wont comment on open because I've never been impressed enough to be inclined to purchase one. Meaning I'll let other do the talking before I say something I know nothing about.

Oct 6, 2010 at 8:39 AM Post #8 of 21
Thanks for the effort, SoSpecial,
you might have just convinced me to grab a pair of Rx700s to try out as a closed phone. 
I'm still undecided on the big question though. I will have to do a little more digging first, I think.

Oct 6, 2010 at 8:59 AM Post #9 of 21
I've just ordered the M50 so I can't comment on that just yet. I'm sure, like me, you've read all the glowing reviews of the M50. I'm usually very cynical by nature but I found the overwhelmingly positive impressions of the M50 irresistible.

The MS-1i were my first "real" cans. I'd wager you'd enjoy them quite a bit for the genres you've listed. I love mine for the engagement they provide, the attack and the crunch of its rocking presentation. I bought these based on the weight of opinion here as well. No regrets. I'm sure the M50 will be just as rewarding.

Oct 6, 2010 at 11:56 AM Post #11 of 21
Well, actually there's beyer DT440 at this price range, and I like them more than M50. M50 has like bump at midbass, and for me it's a bit annoying.

Between DT440 and MS1i, it's all back to your preference, want forward sounding, then go to MS1i, want something has better bass response (and quality) and more laidback midrange, then go to DT440.

Oct 6, 2010 at 12:43 PM Post #12 of 21
you should do what i did.  start buying phones and selling them.  i went through 3 different phones that would have cost me over $300 but since there is such a good sale forum here i was able to sell them for close to what i paid.  so i had basically no money sunk.  as i could always sell them back to the community.  i loved my MS1s and i love my AT m50s.  try them both
tongue.gif

Oct 6, 2010 at 2:20 PM Post #13 of 21

Quote:
Well, actually there's beyer DT440 at this price range, and I like them more than M50. M50 has like bump at midbass, and for me it's a bit annoying.

Between DT440 and MS1i, it's all back to your preference, want forward sounding, then go to MS1i, want something has better bass response (and quality) and more laidback midrange, then go to DT440.

I agree. Forgot to mention the DT440's. They have overall better sound quality than the MS-1 (especially in bass and soundstage). They aren't recommended nearly enough on these forums. The M50 does not have unaminously good reviews either. Just check out headphones.com.au for example.

Oct 8, 2010 at 9:40 PM Post #15 of 21

Quote:
I agree. Forgot to mention the DT440's. They have overall better sound quality than the MS-1 (especially in bass and soundstage). They aren't recommended nearly enough on these forums. The M50 does not have unaminously good reviews either. Just check out headphones.com.au for example.

I agree w/ the DT440 comment over the MS1i and think it applies to the M50 myself as well.  I've had all 3 too.  Not sure if the DT440 really has 'more' bass than the MS1i though.  I think the MS1i has bass that's more in balance w/ its FR where the DT440 is more recessed in relation.

Quote:
Ms1i EZ pick  over the  M50

For  bass heavy music - Sony XB700 kills m50, even the instruments sound more natural on the budget sony....

The XB700 has a different kind of bass w/ the boosted rumble if thats what you like.  Sorry but to my ears the violin, cello and other acoustic stringed instruments sound better on the M50 IMO.  

As always YMMV.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back