Audio-Technica ATH-M50 Headphones: Best Overall Headphones ~$150. True or False?
Mar 10, 2013 at 5:11 PM Post #16 of 22
Someone just pointed me to the Q40s in another thread. I was looking for something fun and cheap to rock out on. For about 99 bucks those are supposedly pretty hard to beat. So you can put me in the "undecided" column at this point. 

Mar 10, 2013 at 5:22 PM Post #17 of 22
I honestly would not count on Skullcandy to release something competitive. It's a huge deal when they release a headphone that sounds ok, even, like the Aviators. But even the Aviators are easily bested by other headphones in the price range.

The big competitors to the M50 are the Ultrasone HFI-580 and Beyerdynamic DT770-80. A lot of people prefer them to the M50's with respect to sound, but some still like the M50's. But it's irrefutable, for instance, that the 770-80's are more comfortable and more durable. So that makes it kind of impossible to prove that the M50's are the best at that price; different headphones have different strengths that appeal to different people.

Apr 18, 2013 at 5:32 PM Post #18 of 22
Quote:
If "Crushers" are anything like SkullCandy's previous attempt at a "subwoofer headphone" - I wouldn't even bother waiting for them.
wink_face.gif

intereestingly I was in between the xb 700 and the M 50 my self and I went the the Xb 700, since then I've never found anything with more Sub Bass quanity and quality combined, but it's an all bass can doesn't do anything other than Dub Step really and I don't even use them as much since I've geown to enjoy quality over quanity by leaps and bounds

Non the less the point here, the M50 are not the best, the best is dependant entirely on your prefrance... they are a good start and I might try with the Creative Aura Live or Q Audio M40 as those can be gotten a little cheaper than the M50, in addition the other question to ask is if your using an Amp or not, some cans need amps other's not as much. if your going for PURE bass then your going to want a cheaper can so you can afford an amp like a Fiio E6 for example

I might also brows the Bass Head Forum and look at all the Sub $150 options and check the For Sale Thread if you can to get an even better deal... OR find a buisness that offers a refund so you can purchase a can and return it if u do ot like it.

Non the less, there is no Best. I suggest you try as many different things as you can and the M50 might be a good start. But it all depends on your preferance! 

Also one of my favorite semi neutral can's that r cheap are the koss porta pro, I might buy those and enjoy them till you can possibly save uup for a better can and amp 

Jun 3, 2013 at 6:47 AM Post #19 of 22
From what I hear, the Sol Republic Tracks HD offer more bass than the M50s, but the midrange isn't great. However, for Dubstep, and other electronic music, shouldn't be a problem. They're also completely modular and good looking.

Jun 28, 2013 at 12:31 PM Post #21 of 22
Hi guys, my final choice AKG K550 vs. Audio Technica ATH-M50S (white)
which I take?

Not sure if you've already made your purchase but K550 are excellent neutral headphones, probably the best in the price range. HOWEVER for dubstep you probably want something with more bass, as the K550 are quite light on the bass, especially if without a good seal, and it's VERY difficult to get a good seal with the lack of clamping force. M50 has more bass and is more v-shaped than neutral. Q40 is my favourite basshead can in the price range - midrange and treble are much smoother and neutral than the M50, with a lot more bass.

Aug 18, 2013 at 9:44 AM Post #22 of 22
Quote:

Not sure if you've already made your purchase but K550 are excellent neutral headphones, probably the best in the price range. HOWEVER for dubstep you probably want something with more bass, as the K550 are quite light on the bass, especially if without a good seal, and it's VERY difficult to get a good seal with the lack of clamping force. M50 has more bass and is more v-shaped than neutral. Q40 is my favourite basshead can in the price range - midrange and treble are much smoother and neutral than the M50, with a lot more bass.

But if you can try the K550, and it DOES seal, trust me it's amazing :O I like it very much Rusko's WooBoost has such a NASTIER aggressive bass line, it really matches the silly face he makes on the album cover 

speaking of which he's on tour in the US currently, doing a set near my in NC. Might have to go see that show!  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back