Audio Technica ATH-M40x: The Little Brother that Could
Jan 3, 2017 at 5:31 AM Post #376 of 699
That makes sense.

So would you say it's worth it to return the Beyerdynamics and get the Sound Professionals instead?

I think the Sound Professionals pads are better than the DT250 pads in pretty much every way, if that was the question. But keep in mind that allthough I'm trying to describe the changes in sound as objectively as I can, your experience may be different.

Jan 3, 2017 at 9:40 AM Post #377 of 699
I'd recommend Yaxi leather StPads if you want to keep the original sound profile, it improves both comfort and quality with it's Leather and memory foam combo comform the head more flush thus promote better seal.

Thanks for the advice. What's your experience with these pads been like?

I think the Sound Professionals pads are better than the DT250 pads in pretty much every way, if that was the question. But keep in mind that allthough I'm trying to describe the changes in sound as objectively as I can, your experience may be different.

Yeah, I know it can be hard recommending changes since everyone's ears are different. I'm thinking of returning my HM5's and DT250s and trying to snag some Sound Professionals (and maybe some Yaxi's as recommended above). I'll have to check up on Amazon's return policy for a situation like this..

Jan 5, 2017 at 10:59 AM Post #378 of 699
What I write above is my impression, improvements are mostly on its comfort, other than material, comes from slightly bigger room for your ear, not much, around the same size as M70x', so it's no the pads no longer rest on the rim of my ear.

Jan 5, 2017 at 11:48 AM Post #379 of 699
What I write above is my impression, improvements are mostly on its comfort, other than material, comes from slightly bigger room for your ear, not much, around the same size as M70x', so it's no the pads no longer rest on the rim of my ear.

That sounds pretty good; how is the sound impacted? From what I can tell, the leather should create a better seal, right?

Jan 5, 2017 at 6:33 PM Post #380 of 699
Yeah, especially with the added memory foam inside. I say it also add color to the headphone with the blue/red accent option on the rims. (there's also normal black one too)

Jan 5, 2017 at 6:45 PM Post #381 of 699
Yeah, especially with the added memory foam inside. I say it also add color to the headphone with the blue/red accent option on the rims. (there's also normal black one too)

Hmm.. I found them on Amazon for $36 (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00RGQGR76/ref=s9_acsd_hps_bw_c_x_4_w). Not too bad, I might pick some up.

Jan 5, 2017 at 9:42 PM Post #382 of 699
Try it out, It's definitely worth the asking price for me, as the stock one of mine is already crumbling away it is a great upgrade

Jan 5, 2017 at 10:55 PM Post #383 of 699
Try it out, It's definitely worth the asking price for me, as the stock one of mine is already crumbling away it is a great upgrade

I have some pads that I bought in the listings here (ZMF protein leathers and Alpha Dogs) arriving tomorrow (if the weather doesn't screw the postman over). If those don't satisfy me, I'll pick up some Yaxi's and/or Sound Professionals Velvets.

Thanks for all your advice!

Jan 6, 2017 at 4:51 AM Post #384 of 699
OK, hope you find ones that suit your preference, have a nice day :)

Jan 10, 2017 at 5:22 PM Post #388 of 699
I stumbled across this thread because I'm interested in the M40x even though I do not have the money for them right now. I do own the 7506 and love what they do, but I do recognize the shrilly treble and how they cannot be used on a smartphone without an amp, otherwise things just sound wrong with no bass. I use them for gaming and critical music listening. Is the M40x really better than the 7506 to warrant buying the M40x? Btw I have the Beyerdynamic velour earpads installed on my Sonys as noise isolation is not extremely necessary for my uses and I've found that the earpads have increased the low end response and slightly tamed the treble while bringing down the detail a bit as well. Just my two cents.

Jan 10, 2017 at 9:17 PM Post #389 of 699

Noob question - why do you want a flat response? I find my M50X's great for listening to music, which is their sole purpose in life.

As I understand it from my years of lurking, generally what is meant by "flat response" is that the headphones impart the sound as close to the source as possible. Many headphones both amplify/emphasize and/or mute/de-emphasize parts of the sound (such as the bass, the vocals, etc.), and lots of people don't like this.

An anecdotal experience of this for me is my other set of "full-size" headphones - the Sol Republic Tracks HD. When I got those headphones from my campus store, I thought they sounded really awesome; lots of bass, they could play really loud, and they looked pretty cool. But as I kept reading about sound quality online, I found myself comparing the impressions people were giving about other sets of headphones to what I was hearing from the Tracks. I started to notice that there seemed to be a definite difference in sound quality between those impressions and my experiences.  

A couple of things pushed me further towards getting better headphones; for one, I ran across a sound demo video from Zeos on YouTube that blew my mind, and for another, I tried out different sets of headphones at tech stores when I was out and about. I tried out Beats, Sennheisers, Bose's, quite a few. And I found that I was indeed missing out when it came to my Tracks HD. For the Tracks, the bass is really emphasized, and the general sound is kind of muddy. Instruments can be pushed to the background, while vocals can be pretty unclear. And the soundstage is quite narrow; there's not a lot of depth to the sound.

I absolutely love music, so discovering that the music I was hearing was being delivered in a "biased" way (a.k.a emphasized or de-emphasized too much; this is referred to as "coloring") made me want to hear the music as the artist intended it. When I listen to the Deftones, I want to hear the music how Chino, Abe, Frank and the others wanted me to hear it. When I listen to Tesseract, I want to hear the little atmospheric touches that are put in place to draw the listener in. The examples go on and on.

Of course, there can be "downsides" to having "flat"ter headphones. As the phrase commonly goes around here: "Garbage in, garbage out." If you are listening to badly produced/mastered songs, you'll probably notice it. A lot of the music you previously liked might very well become unlistenable for you depending on your new headphones. There are ways around that, but in general, those are the risks you can run.

But for me, it's pretty much worth it, because I can enjoy the music as it was meant to be enjoyed (usually). Without falling too much into the trap of comparing sound to food, it's like eating food that's spiced too heavily, and food that's spiced just right, or at least closer to just right. Don't get me wrong: I'm Caribbean, sometimes we like food with a LOT of spice to it! But that, like sound, is based on our preferences; some Caribbeans don't like spicy food at all. Similarly, some people like the sound they get from a particular set of headphones (like Beats).

For many people (on Head-Fi and elsewhere), the ATH-M50x are too bassy, and the sound can be somewhat muddled. I have found this to be the case for me as well when I tested a pair of M50x's vs a pair of M40x's at Sam Ash. To me, the M40x's just sounded clearer and more "true" to the sound than the M50x's. However, from what I've read, the M40x's aren't truly "flat" either, they're just closer to "flat" than the M50x's are.

But plenty of people (here and elsewhere) like the sound of the M50x's and say that the M40x's don't have enough bass for them, and to that, I say "More power to you; find the right sound for you".

Some people walk the middle ground; they like the sound of the M50x's, but agree that there's too much bass, and so they perform mods or switch out the pads to change the sound, reduce the bass a touch, and clarify the sound. That's great too.

In the end though, sound preference is very subjective, so you have to pick what's right for you. That doesn't mean don't get out of your comfort zone and try new things, because hey, you might like it; it just means don't let someone tell you you're a neophyte for not being able to hear what they're hearing or liking what they're liking.

So if you like your M50x's and don't care about them being "flat", I support you dude 
darthsmile.gif

Sorry for the rant, I can get too into writing sometimes 
tongue.gif

Jan 10, 2017 at 10:25 PM Post #390 of 699
I own both the M50 and M50X ... I like em' screw flat =p ... I also own the DT770 Pro 80's .. not always but "fun" sounding headphones can be quite enjoyable

I like the DT770's better if I'm honest but I personally like the M50's more than the M40X's

as far as the M40X's vs the Sony question.. the 40X's with the removable cable are more convenient if you need portability.. but I think the Sony's sound better than the M40's (i have the V6's )

this is my opinion but if you already have the flat~ish 7506's might as well get the M50X's if you want another folding studio headphone... The M50X's have a good fun sound would be more different in my view.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back