Audio Technica ATH-M40x: The Little Brother that Could
Sep 1, 2016 at 2:17 PM Post #302 of 699
M40X has more bass and highs if u would use brainwavz pads wouldnt it kill The extra Bass and highs

M40x retains extra bass and treble even with HM5 pads.  If you lose bass, it is because the pads are not sealing properly, whether against your head or on the headphone cups or both.  Treble will increase slightly, actually.  Giving headphone drivers more air to control between their front and your ears can increase or decrease treble response, it depends on the headphone design.  Putting on earpads with bigger ear openings like HM5 pads improves the sound of M20x, M30x, M40x, and M50x, in my opinion.  Even with the old M40fs and M30.  The original ATH pads "suffocate" the drivers to an extent, yet they also acts "focusing lenses", giving you a less open, more "screaming in your face" sound at the expense of some audio fidelity.  A lot of people like that, though.  For that kind of sound, nothing beats SR225 and SR325 anyway, I say.

Sep 6, 2016 at 8:23 PM Post #304 of 699
You should try bending the headband.
M40x's headband is steel underneath the padding, so you can bend it outwards to relieve pressure without breaking it.  Bend it a little more than your own head does, then let the headband return to its normal position, then bend it again, a little farther out this time (just a little), and let it return and then check the fit on your head.  Repeat until it is more comfortable.  Do this while holding the cups, and the cups should be inserted all the way into the headband, not out.

Sep 6, 2016 at 11:32 PM Post #305 of 699
  You should try bending the headband.
M40x's headband is steel underneath the padding, so you can bend it outwards to relieve pressure without breaking it.  Bend it a little more than your own head does, then let the headband return to its normal position, then bend it again, a little farther out this time (just a little), and let it return and then check the fit on your head.  Repeat until it is more comfortable.  Do this while holding the cups, and the cups should be inserted all the way into the headband, not out.

Worked. Thanks for the help.

Sep 15, 2016 at 3:03 PM Post #306 of 699
About to grab a pair, any Idea how to prevent them from breaking?

Sep 15, 2016 at 8:30 PM Post #307 of 699
Super glue on the plastic plates that can break.

Sep 17, 2016 at 3:16 AM Post #308 of 699
About to grab a pair, any Idea how to prevent them from breaking?

The usual stuff...don't throw them from a fifth flor, don't sit on them, don't kick them, don't stand on them, don't sleep with them, don't use them during street riots, war and walking through the jungle.

They are just fine, do not panic.I got mine a year ago, no craks or anything and I am not someone who's careful with things.I don't know what others did to them, but these cannot break or get a crack just like that unless you do something to them.

Sent from my m2 note using Tapatalk

Sep 17, 2016 at 1:54 PM Post #309 of 699
The usual stuff...don't throw them from a fifth flor, don't sit on them, don't kick them, don't stand on them, don't sleep with them, don't use them during street riots, war and walking through the jungle.

They are just fine, do not panic.I got mine a year ago, no craks or anything and I am not someone who's careful with things.I don't know what others did to them, but these cannot break or get a crack just like that unless you do something to them.

Sent from my m2 note using Tapatalk
I agree. I don't sleep sleep with them on and I just use them at home. I've had them for a year and a half. No cracks or signs of damage.

Sep 17, 2016 at 2:22 PM Post #310 of 699
Good to know, reading through the thread I got the impression that even when you are gentle with them they are guaranteed to break at some point(soon).
Thanks for the clarification.

Sep 23, 2016 at 7:54 AM Post #313 of 699
How does it do compared to good old HM5?

I have a hybrid HM5 on mine, does anyone that has both pleather and hybrid can commend on the differences?
@Madmax, agree with what you says about the original pads being "magnifying glass", adding more room like using the HM5 really upgrade every aspect of the Headphone, but sometimes I miss the intimate mids... Ah well maybe it's just as you said, for that kind of sound, my SR60e is better armed.

Sep 24, 2016 at 6:39 AM Post #314 of 699
I have posted my impressions on the MSR 7 thread. I copy it for you here. I think the M40 X are very good for the price.

I have them on my head  now, so they are not burned in. I bought two Audio technica to replace my Sony Mdr 1 A that broke down.

The other is the M 40X. SO there is a serious price gap between the two. So an interesting comparison.  So these are not burned in.
Out of the box cannot help it the  M40 X, looks very fragile, very scared to break it. Not looks solid.  I been reading a lot about these two phones, and most complaint were that they were often too bright.  Yes they are, but much less then expected.

After a few hours listening here and there, what is sure the M 40 X is especially good for its price, difficult to find better! They not have that dark sound , I hear more and more in HF's.
About Bass. It is not natural, but very fun. A bit too much pushed forward, but most would prefer that to really flat. If they say the  M 50 X have more, then these must be better, it is more then enough. High's is another story. I think they just a little too straight forward.  Comfort, is medium. They press a bit on your head and material is not real soft

The MSR 7, are on my ears more neutral. Gone is the bit pushy bass. But for natural sound, this is much better.  Pleasant surprise were the high's here. I expected after a short listening I had, very agressive high's. This depends on the kind of recording and tracks. On some it is even smooth, on others not so straight forward as the M 40 X. It is more refined.
Compared to the Sony MDR 1 A,it is a different story. If the bass is not natural at all, has a slow feeling to  feeling it has the advantage that even sounding warm, it also headphone that also give a lot of detail. More atmosphère int his one. Pity if the bass is asking too much attention, much more even then the M40 X. For soundstage, for ME the Sony wins. For comfort, I not have problem yet with the MSR  7, the Sony was sometimes too loose.

To be short. Of course the 2 ATH, need a bit burn in, although I think that is also getting used to a certain sound. The M 40 X has fantastic sound for its price, I can live with it. On some files, the more bass can be even more pleasant, but I prefer voices on the MSR 7. Comfort on my ears I love less. Everything is closer in your head too. But don't get me wrong, great cans, and allrounders too.

The Msr 7, is a very nice headphone. Natural sounding, refined. But is it worth over double the price. For comfort, yes, sound is pure, but can get a bit boring after a while. I miss a bit excitement. Then the Sony, with his bit colored sound, is nicer for longer listening sessions. Even you know it is less natural, and the bass bleeds (most annoying thing on this one), it soft but at the same time detailed sound, can you make listen to it longer without fatigue.  

I forgot to mention, I tested these on the Fiio X3 2. On smartphones, that are thinner, the result could be less bass and less good dynamics.

Sep 24, 2016 at 2:31 PM Post #315 of 699
It seems several discussions regarding the headband have been posted here. I had the M50x for a few days and ended up returning them as I could not wear them for more than one hour (after stretching it generously). My head is quite big and a little sensitive and that might be the issue as well.

Now, I intend to get the M40x for casual listening in my office when there's a lot of noise. Has anybody that owns a pair of these (M40 or M50) stretched the headband and noticed a difference in the passive-noise isolation? If you own a pair that has an even better isolation under 100$ is more than welcome!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back