Audio Technica ATH-M40x: The Little Brother that Could
Apr 26, 2015 at 1:25 PM Post #106 of 699
These aren't for gaming but they don't have 0 soundstage either. It might be because of the brainwavz pads but I think they have a pretty decent soundstage for being closed. I would describe the m50x as having an almost non existent soundstage.

Apr 26, 2015 at 2:29 PM Post #107 of 699
These aren't for gaming but they don't have 0 soundstage either. It might be because of the brainwavz pads but I think they have a pretty decent soundstage for being closed. I would describe the m50x as having an almost non existent soundstage.

Yeah could be the pads, I never swapped mine out. But you need to hear cans like the K550 and DT770 to understand what's actually possible in terms of soundstage for a closed back. They are miles above these AT monitors.

Apr 26, 2015 at 2:46 PM Post #108 of 699
  Yeah could be the pads, I never swapped mine out. But you need to hear cans like the K550 and DT770 to understand what's actually possible in terms of soundstage for a closed back. They are miles above these AT monitors.

Yeah I have heard that they have the best soundstage for a closed back. I am not saying the M40x is on that level, I'm just saying they don't have 0 soundstage. Basically, when I am listening to them, I don't wish they had a larger soundstage (unlike the M50's), even when I am alternating between these and the K7XX. 

Apr 26, 2015 at 8:20 PM Post #109 of 699

If you want hear "zero soundstage", try HD25-1 and SR225.

Apr 26, 2015 at 9:01 PM Post #111 of 699
is there anything similar to m40x qualities of sound, portability and closed back nature but with bigger soundstage for games?

Apr 27, 2015 at 11:35 PM Post #112 of 699
  is there anything similar to m40x qualities of sound, portability and closed back nature but with bigger soundstage for games?

If there was, you would probably know about it by now 
bigsmile_face.gif

Maybe the K553 pro's? Not really portable but it would be the closest to what you are looking for. I joined the latest drop. My M40x's will probably be replaced by them. 

Apr 28, 2015 at 12:04 AM Post #113 of 699
  Wow that's interesting, I had no idea the HD25 was that bad in that regard. I have an SR80e and the soundstage is actually quite good, not sure why the 225 would be that much worse.

I forget about the latest Grados.  Non-e series 225(i), I meant.  It has sharper imaging than the other SR Grados except 325, so sound positions are more precise to a degree, but the soundstage has literally zero depth, only width and height.  SR60, 80, and 125 have bigger soundstages, ironically.  It is a weird trend among the SR Grados.  SR325 has the same soundstage as 225, approximately.  I have an SR325is for home use then a recabled SR225i as my portable Grado.  I would have gotten a second 325 to use as a portable if it wasn't for its heavy aluminum cups, actually.  I wasn't pleased with the other SR Grados, but I was surprised by the difference in soundstaging.

May 6, 2015 at 4:11 AM Post #114 of 699
  I got my pair of M40x today and they are not quite what I expected them to be.
"Tuned flat for accurate sound monitoring" - not really, these are actually quite bassy and the sound is more V-shaped than flat.

I use Shure SRH550 DJ as my main headphones - compared to them the M40x have better build quality and are more comfortable but they lose when it comes to sound quality.
For the ATH the bass is the central instrument and then comes everything else, whereas for the Shures the bass is just one of the instruments that are all equally important and equally represented.
The SRH550 simply have richer, more spacious sound that is well balanced and truly flat, and they cost me about 40 euros less than the M40x.

If I notice some changes in sound after a period of burning in, I'll be happy to report it, but I don't really like what I'm getting out of the M40x right now.
Conclusion: the M40x are OK headphones, maybe even great if you are a basshead, but it is hard for me to recommend them to anyone when the Shures SRH550 DJ and SRH440 offer better SQ for less money.

Looking at the innerfidelity graph, the SRH440 start to drop off at around 70hz so the m40x might sound bassy because you're used to bass-light headphones.

May 7, 2015 at 6:09 PM Post #116 of 699

Looking at the innerfidelity graph, the SRH440 start to drop off at around 70hz so the m40x might sound bassy because you're used to bass-light headphones.

The bass is definitely there on the Shure, it just doesn't trump over other instruments as it does on the ATH. 
When I put on my SRH550 after the M40x, it's like a veil has been lifted, everything sounds much clearer and more defined.

(Just to clarify things a little bit, when I talk about SRH440 and SRH550, I consider them to have the same sound quality, at least I found no difference when I tested them both in the store. The reason I went with the 550 - they were cheaper and I wanted to give Shure as little money as possible after my disappointing experience with the SE215)

After a little bit of burning-in and occasional listening here and there, I notice no difference in M40x sound quality so my final verdict stays the same as before: if you want truly flat, neutral sound go with the SRH440/550, if you want bass go with the M40x.
In my mind there's no doubt, the two Shures offer better sound quality for less money (SRH550 - 70, SRH440 - 90, M40x - 110).

May 7, 2015 at 6:27 PM Post #117 of 699
Okay, have fun with that long ringing edge at 4k. The 440 also has a more noticeable cupped hands coloration than the M40x. I'm trying to sell my 440 right now cause I literally can't stand it. Not a fan of the M40x in general either but it sounded more correct last time I heard mine.

The KNS8400 does more things right for what a monitoring can should do than either of these IMO.

May 8, 2015 at 11:10 AM Post #118 of 699
Sorry, mate, I'm not that technical about headphones. I dont know, nor do I care whether they have some flaw at 4K, but I know what I'm hearing.

I have both the Shure and the ATH with me and I have compared them many times so far, spent almost all day yesterday doing that.
It is very easy to notice that the SRH550 are the ones with better clarity and more natural sound, the M40x just sound muddy and kind of fake in comparison.

Now, I don't doubt that there are better headphones than the SRH440/550, but the M40x are not among those, unfortunately. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back