Audio Technica ATH-M40x: The Little Brother that Could
Dec 6, 2014 at 7:51 PM Post #61 of 699
I've bought two over the ear phones and just don't like them. Got the m40x today and think they are so low on volume and really hot on my ears. I'm just going to stick to my Nuforce 600s.

Dec 19, 2014 at 11:50 AM Post #65 of 699
Here's a library of recordings of headphones playing a bunch of tracks (including that pair):
https://soundcloud.com/sonic-sense-pro-audio/sets/headphones-test

You can download the tracks and A/B quickly using a multi-track audio editor and mute buttons (Audacity, for example). Of course this is only an approximation as to how it will sound on your head.
I picked the M40x based on this but ultimately gave it away due to things that are not easily portrayed with this method, namely presentation (soundstage, dynamics), and a very hot top octave that fatigued my ears with specific albums. YMMV.
Truth is, they sound mostly true to the music and you may not be bothered by the same things I was.

Dec 25, 2014 at 8:14 AM Post #66 of 699
Just wanted to share some pics of my recent gift 
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 7, 2015 at 2:25 PM Post #67 of 699
One little question

I'm getting a pair of the ATH M40X's I'm wondering how they compare to my HD 600's sounds very stupid as people would say that the HD 600 is on a whole different level of headphones but any thoughts?
I tried the regular ATH M50's I noticed slightly more treble detail then my HD 600's.

thanks.

Jan 14, 2015 at 11:40 PM Post #68 of 699
IMO, the M40x's actually fix and improve upon everything from the M50x's.  The difference is so stark as a matter of fact that I despise the M50's (their the worst thing on my rack) while the M40x's are one of the best, if not THE best for portable use especially.  Finally I can give Audio-Technica some credit because all I've known before was the M50's.  

Jan 15, 2015 at 12:31 AM Post #69 of 699
  IMO, the M40x's actually fix and improve upon everything from the M50x's.  The difference is so stark as a matter of fact that I despise the M50's (their the worst thing on my rack) while the M40x's are one of the best, if not THE best for portable use especially.  Finally I can give Audio-Technica some credit because all I've known before was the M50's.  

Yeah, just have to buy that short 3 ft cable if you didn't already own the 50x. lol. I totally agree, the M40x just sounds more "correct" than the 50x. I had the same realization.

Here's a library of recordings of headphones playing a bunch of tracks (including that pair):
https://soundcloud.com/sonic-sense-pro-audio/sets/headphones-test

You can download the tracks and A/B quickly using a multi-track audio editor and mute buttons (Audacity, for example). Of course this is only an approximation as to how it will sound on your head.
I picked the M40x based on this but ultimately gave it away due to things that are not easily portrayed with this method, namely presentation (soundstage, dynamics), and a very hot top octave that fatigued my ears with specific albums. YMMV.
Truth is, they sound mostly true to the music and you may not be bothered by the same things I was.

I did the same thing. They really are pretty close to neutral except for a mid-bass hump and the bright supertreble. But the soundstage is zero, and comfort is disappointing.

Jan 15, 2015 at 12:39 AM Post #70 of 699
Indeed.  Apart from like two peaks and overall slightly forward treble, they're almost perfect actually.  Of course there could still be better imaging and a bigger soundstage.  They're also not the most comfortable, but most importantly they don't ruin the music or really take much away from it, and without an amp they'd still probably be the best for the price, especially if looks and/or mobility are a priority in any way.

PS- Though for a prolonged musical experience, I do in fact consider soundstage/separation to be a very important thing.  When the sound seems like it's consistently coming from the same place song after song, it gets fatiguing, especially with those prior mentioned HF peaks.

Jan 15, 2015 at 12:56 AM Post #71 of 699
  Indeed.  Apart from like two peaks and overall slightly forward treble, they're almost perfect actually.  Of course there could still be better imaging and a bigger soundstage.  They're also not the most comfortable, but most importantly they don't ruin the music or really take much away from it, and without an amp they'd still probably be the best for the price, especially if looks and/or mobility are a priority in any way.

PS- Though for a prolonged musical experience, I do in fact consider soundstage/separation to be a very important thing.  When the sound seems like it's consistently coming from the same place song after song, it gets fatiguing, especially with those prior mentioned HF peaks.

And that is why my two closed backs of choice right now are the ATH-A900X and DT770 instead :) I'm kind of a soundstage and detail kinda guy

Gave my parents the M40x. At least they have something decent to listen to now.

Jan 15, 2015 at 2:17 AM Post #72 of 699
  Yeah, just have to buy that short 3 ft cable if you didn't already own the 50x. lol. I totally agree, the M40x just sounds more "correct" than the 50x. I had the same realization.

I did the same thing. They really are pretty close to neutral except for a mid-bass hump and the bright supertreble. But the soundstage is zero, and comfort is disappointing.

So true. I've used them for the last 2 months a lot. They are great but at the same time I feel very intimate and suffocating since they have such a narrow soundstage. I auditioned the V-Moda Crossfade LP's once and they were damn good in soundstage and gave something like a big open ground feeling.

If I could know of any headphone that would take the title of M40x with good soundstage then I'll buy it right away

Feb 21, 2015 at 3:47 AM Post #73 of 699
I saw the max. input power for this headphone is big. I burnt this headphone in with white noise, pink noise and brown noise, full power, max volume, saw difference in imaging and depth, soundstage a little bit more wide too. I'm surprised this thing can hold that much power. *I believe the driver won't break if you set this as a mini speaker as well <well, I don't recommend>

can someone test the grey foam below the pad, it smelled "burny" after I burnt my M40x for the first time. *because of the smell, I hope it affects FR too

I've bought two over the ear phones and just don't like them. Got the m40x today and think they are so low on volume and really hot on my ears. I'm just going to stick to my Nuforce 600s.

sound pressure level is quite low *below 100db/mW* you need more power (more volume)

Feb 22, 2015 at 4:34 AM Post #74 of 699
The M40x are much better portable headphones and with my Desire 820 they are sometimes painfully loud. I tried Sennheiser HD 449 recently with my phone and they were horrible in crispness, clarity detail and they were strangely very low on volume on my phone even though they have a lower impedance and higher SPL than M40x,strange

Users who are viewing this thread

Back