Audio Technica ATH-L5000
Feb 9, 2019 at 3:14 AM Post #61 of 235
Can I ask which amp you use on the L5000 you once own? I was using my luxman P700 amp for my L5000 (which dose not produce a ton of bass but is still tight and well control), but a few weeks ago I was trying my friends Phatlab Phantom tube amp and his AT HA5050h it seems like the L5000 need some sort of tube in the system to make it abit more warmer to give the best listening experiences

I have the HA5050h and that thing is just superb sounding. Great amp for HD800 and my R10 too!

@mulveling,

WIth a dad bod that I have, strong-arming you will not be an easy task. I can always bring you along on my "highway" trips.

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2019 at 3:24 AM Post #62 of 235
I have the HA5050h and that thing is just superb sounding. Great amp for HD800 and my R10 too!

@mulveling,

WIth a dad bod that I have, strong-arming you will not be an easy task. I can always bring you along on my "highway" trips.
i was thinking to import a HA5050 for my self as well, after all is the paired amp for the L5000 but its is not available in 100W for japan market. I dont know when it to be release in Japan, I dont understand...

Feb 9, 2019 at 3:29 AM Post #63 of 235
I was using a chord dave
Dave is no question a top of the tier good DAC , especially for the Focal Utopia, however I am not quite sure about its amp performances, I think is either a hit or miss, the Hugo2TT sounds better in some other headphone like the HD800 in my opinion and again Dave is a better DAC!? maybe L5000 really deserve a tube stage?

Feb 9, 2019 at 4:11 AM Post #64 of 235
i was thinking to import a HA5050 for my self as well, after all is the paired amp for the L5000 but its is not available in 100W for japan market. I dont know when it to be release in Japan, I dont understand...

Really? It is such a great DAC/amp. Pity it isn't available there. Really a great piece deserving of its TOTL status.

Feb 17, 2019 at 7:21 PM Post #66 of 235
I just talked to AT USA and they will have more L5000 coming in couple of weeks. Price will be $4000. Six out of ten will be dedicated to the Canadian market while the US will only get 4 units. Must be a hot seller! I want one actually but I will likely have to wait for awhile.
May I ask if you know how many units does North America market has?

Feb 17, 2019 at 9:11 PM Post #67 of 235
I was talking to Jaben that day about l5000 and he was mooning about the audio technical distributor overseas had promised him for a second batch where some of his clients already placed order but AudioTechnica just can’t kept their promise. Therefore no matter what retailers say might not be ture just go to a shop which have it in stock and buy it with cash lol

Feb 17, 2019 at 9:16 PM Post #68 of 235
Really? It is such a great DAC/amp. Pity it isn't available there. Really a great piece deserving of its TOTL status.
I wish they are available in japan but again even it does I won’t have money for it any sooner. I have upgraded my FitearMH334 to MH334SR last week and hoping to The new Sony IERZ1R at the end of the month...all those distractions omg

Feb 17, 2019 at 9:43 PM Post #69 of 235

He said 10. 6 for Canada and 4 for the USA.

Feb 19, 2019 at 11:09 PM Post #70 of 235
Got mine from audio46, it's the most transparent dynamic headphone I've ever heard, the sound signature is on the thin side, the very contrary of Utopia headphones if you know what I mean

Feb 20, 2019 at 3:27 AM Post #71 of 235
Got mine from audio46, it's the most transparent dynamic headphone I've ever heard, the sound signature is on the thin side, the very contrary of Utopia headphones if you know what I mean
do you feel that the L5000 heavily rely on better quality music feats than the utopia? Is seems like to me the utopia is excellent even with normal flac file and very easy to drive but the l5000 are much more picky...I am considering getting a tube amp for it

Feb 20, 2019 at 4:54 AM Post #72 of 235
not really. would you mind clarifying?

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2019 at 9:27 AM Post #74 of 235
not really. would you mind clarifying?
Sure, the Utopia headphone's sound signature has thicker imaging while sacrificing some scale of the sound stage. It's frequency distribution is more pyramid shaped compared to L5000, more emphasis on the lows and less extended on the highs.
L5000 is quite the opposite, the sound imaging is sharper and thinner, while retaining a more diffused sound stage. The highs are very well extended, and the volumes of lows are really really small. When listenning to piano tracks, you will notice it lacks impact because of that.

With that said, they are still both top tier dynamic headphones. Listening to vocals on L5000 is pure joy since it reveals so many hidden details and emotions.

I think someone mentioned above about pickiness, I do agree that L5000 is pickier than Utopia. Soft and warm tube amps will pair well with L5000 but keep in mind that the amp also need to be very transparent, or else it will waste the transparency of L5000.

Feb 21, 2019 at 8:06 PM Post #75 of 235
Sure, the Utopia headphone's sound signature has thicker imaging while sacrificing some scale of the sound stage. It's frequency distribution is more pyramid shaped compared to L5000, more emphasis on the lows and less extended on the highs.
L5000 is quite the opposite, the sound imaging is sharper and thinner, while retaining a more diffused sound stage. The highs are very well extended, and the volumes of lows are really really small. When listenning to piano tracks, you will notice it lacks impact because of that.

With that said, they are still both top tier dynamic headphones. Listening to vocals on L5000 is pure joy since it reveals so many hidden details and emotions.

I think someone mentioned above about pickiness, I do agree that L5000 is pickier than Utopia. Soft and warm tube amps will pair well with L5000 but keep in mind that the amp also need to be very transparent, or else it will waste the transparency of L5000.
thanks. i understand that you are describing how the utopia sounds compared to the l5000 - which i haven't heard, but i wouldn't describe the utopia's imaging as "thick" under any circumstances. i hear it as combining precise imaging with tonal saturation. the utopia is not known to be wanting for treble extension or for its prominent bass. based on your description, i'm wondering whether the l5000's mids and highs are emphasised relative to the bass, making for a bright presentation. you described the l5000 as the most "transparent dynamic headphone" that you've ever heard, which is no mean feat for a closed-back design. a headphone with a bright presentation can create the illusion of being highly resolving and "transparent" ime.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back