Audio Technica ATH-L5000
Feb 21, 2019 at 9:42 PM Post #76 of 235
Sure, the Utopia headphone's sound signature has thicker imaging while sacrificing some scale of the sound stage. It's frequency distribution is more pyramid shaped compared to L5000, more emphasis on the lows and less extended on the highs.
L5000 is quite the opposite, the sound imaging is sharper and thinner, while retaining a more diffused sound stage. The highs are very well extended, and the volumes of lows are really really small. When listenning to piano tracks, you will notice it lacks impact because of that.

With that said, they are still both top tier dynamic headphones. Listening to vocals on L5000 is pure joy since it reveals so many hidden details and emotions.

I think someone mentioned above about pickiness, I do agree that L5000 is pickier than Utopia. Soft and warm tube amps will pair well with L5000 but keep in mind that the amp also need to be very transparent, or else it will waste the transparency of L5000.
A tube amp with hell a lot of transparency, is it even possible? May be a hybrid design will do the job? but both my class a luxman p1u p700 or even the p200 in my office doesn’t do the l5000 justice at all...yea I know I am a kind of luxman fanboy but is great for the price here.

Feb 25, 2019 at 9:59 PM Post #78 of 235
Ordered these today from B&H. No idea if I will get them, but we'll see! :)
Price of ATH L5000 is starting to go crazy in Japan now, 650000yen in yahoo japan auction, and 580000yen for a used one in Fujiya avic, if you can get it at the original MSRP which is around 450000yen then why not, how it’s sounds is no longer that important since it will be a good investment.

Feb 25, 2019 at 10:04 PM Post #79 of 235
I haven't really read anything about them at all in this forum outside of this thread. I'm not sure who else sells them, but B&H claimed they could get them, and I've bought a ton of camera stuff from them in the past. *shrugs* Allegedly only 10 allocated for US/Canada so I have no idea how they will procure a pair.

Feb 25, 2019 at 10:35 PM Post #80 of 235
I got mine today. It looks gorgeous, smells sweet and rich:)
IMG_0333.JPG
IMG_0334.JPG

Feb 25, 2019 at 10:35 PM Post #81 of 235
I haven't really read anything about them at all in this forum outside of this thread. I'm not sure who else sells them, but B&H claimed they could get them, and I've bought a ton of camera stuff from them in the past. *shrugs* Allegedly only 10 allocated for US/Canada so I have no idea how they will procure a pair.
Import from Europe? It’s seems like they got a pair selling in harrods london

Feb 25, 2019 at 10:36 PM Post #82 of 235
Feb 25, 2019 at 10:40 PM Post #83 of 235
B&H is an authorized dealer of ATH. I doubt they will import from outside states. You can buy with confidence:)

Feb 25, 2019 at 10:47 PM Post #87 of 235
Thank you! After several hours burning, imaging becomes more focused and it sounds less harsh and better my hd800 I had for 8 years.
Yea is time to sell my hd800 as well but wait I just have a brand new headband and earpad......

Feb 25, 2019 at 10:50 PM Post #88 of 235
Maybe I should have resold mine instead of returning them
It’s seems like the best place to sell is to China, I heard a rumor that many people there are looking for good second hand L5000 which are very expansive there but if you have already returned it is too late...

Feb 25, 2019 at 10:52 PM Post #89 of 235
I'm more concerned that their website says they can get them, but they really can't. Sort of like "I know we authorized your amex, but we can't actually get these from our distributor." :wink:
Maybe they just run out of inventory but am confident that they are able to order more from ATH. The series number of mine is 29*. So there are still plenty to sell around the world.

Feb 25, 2019 at 10:53 PM Post #90 of 235
I'm more concerned that their website says they can get them, but they really can't. Sort of like "I know we authorized your amex, but we can't actually get these from our distributor." :wink:
Why not telephone Audio Technica US customers services and ask how many do they still have and where to buy?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back