Audio Technica ATH-L5000
Aug 18, 2018 at 8:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 235

yellowbirdfly

Previously known as lalala6
A new closed-back flagship was announced by Audio Technica, the successor to the legacy ATH-L3000.

ath_l5000_3_webcada_thumbnail_no_background.jpg

Be ready to discover the warm, natural sound generated by the exquisitely crafted ATH-L5000 luxury audiophile headphones, featuring 58mm drivers mounted on newly designed thin and lightweight CFRP (carbon fiber reinforced plastic) flanges. This allows the airflow between the diaphragm and the flanges to be significantly improved. Together with a diamond-like carbon (DLC) coating on the diaphragms, the ATH-L5000 headphones deliver exceptional full-range audio with minimum distortion. The natural acoustic sound signature – not to mention the headphones’ classically refined look – is heightened through the use of Sycamore wood housings covered in the finest Connolly aniline leather. The aniline leather provides an avenue for the Sycamore wood to “breathe” and hence allows the audio characteristic to change as the headphone ages.

A marvel of modern design and engineering, these authentically Japanese decadent handcrafted headphones provide for an unparalleled luxury listening experience of a lifetime.

Specifications
MODEL: Closed-back Dynamic
DRIVER: 58mm
FREQUENCY RESPONSE: 5 to 50,000Hz
OUTPUT SOUND PRESSURE LEVEL: 100dB/mW
IMPEDANCE: 48 ohms
ACCESSORIES: 3.0m cable (6.3mm to A2DC, dual-sided), 3.0m cable for balance connection (XLRM4P-A2DC, dual-sided), Hard carrying case

Price will be $3999 USD. Only 500 units will be available worldwide.

ath_l5000_image_3_webcada.jpg

Product link: https://www.audio-technica.com/cms/headphones/8ba0b48fb6299723/index.html

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2018 at 7:17 PM Post #3 of 235
The ledendary L3000 had 500 units ! Limited edition

The L5000 is also a limited edition of 500 units!

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2018 at 11:22 PM Post #4 of 235
Interesting how the ADX5000 and the L5000 both have 100/mW sensitivity - even though the ADX5000 is 420 ohm and the L5000 is 48 ohm.

I wish they didn't use the "wings" system headband, just can't make it work for my head shape. Was hoping the ADX5000 was a sign that they were moving away from it, but I guess not.

Really cool announcement regardless. Can't wait to hear one.

Aug 18, 2018 at 11:39 PM Post #6 of 235
just like its legendary predecessor, it should be unobtanium before you know it

Yes, this is why i am kind of freaking out lol. Might have to report this and flag the post and not let others figure this thread out. :p

Aug 19, 2018 at 12:18 AM Post #7 of 235
Dude you forgot to screwing mention the most important part!!

The ledendary L3000 had 500 units ! Limited edition

The L5000 is also a limited edition of 500 units!!!

Goddamnit.

Do you have a link to a source that says it is 500 units only? I couldn't find such info when I googled it.

Yes, this is why i am kind of freaking out lol. Might have to report this and flag the post and not let others figure this thread out. :p

Not the right use of flagging I would say, I didn't post anything that deserve to be reported.

Aug 19, 2018 at 12:22 AM Post #8 of 235
Hoping they release a a successor to the W5000 or A2000Z at around $2000 or under. The L5000 interests me, but it's far too expensive. Not surprising giving the limited nature.

Aug 19, 2018 at 12:31 AM Post #9 of 235
Do you have a link to a source that says it is 500 units only? I couldn't find such info when I googled it.

Not the right use of flagging I would say, I didn't post anything that deserve to be reported.

Its a joke. About the flagging...
You have to go to Japanese forums and articles for the answers.

Also heres the article:

Need to translate it: http://news.u-headphone.com/43042/全球限量500副-Audio-Technica ATH-L5000楓木皮革耳機

Quote :

"Xiaobian recently directed Audio-Technica to release a new generation of ATH-L5000 earmuff headphones at the "2018 Hong Kong Advanced Audiovisual Exhibition". However, the action of the Taiwan Iron Triangle was also very fast. At the same time, it also released a new listing news in Taiwan! The new ATH-L5000 combines the historic British premium leather brand Connolly (connolly) with high-grade leather leather covering at the earmuffs and head-wearing position. The edges are complemented by exquisite stitching. The important thing is the world. Limited to 500 pairs, players who love the Iron Triangle, move faster! "

https://www.msn.com/zh-tw/money/other/睽違-15-年,經典再現!audio-technica-ath-l5000-楓木皮革耳機限量登台/ar-BBLZGXQ

Quote:

"For experienced earphone enthusiasts, we must remember that in 2003, the Iron Triangle had launched a limited edition of 500 flagship headphones ATH-L3000, creating a classic and immortal super-beautiful voice, and still relish for the philosophers, the second-hand market price is also If you stay high, this deep impression will last forever. After a lapse of 15 years, the Iron Triangle has once again launched the new flagship model ATH-L5000, which continues the traditional exquisite workmanship, beautiful model and innovative design. It is also a limited edition of 500 pairs worldwide, allowing the Philharmonic to relive the past and hear the new generation of beautiful performance".

Last edited:
Aug 28, 2018 at 11:44 PM Post #11 of 235
Time to sell a kidney.

Just kidding, I'm happy with my L3000, haven't bought a new headphone since I got them back in 2008 or so, outside of the W3000ANV and that was mostly a curiosity buy.
I don't need an L5000 in my life (or so I tell myself), would definitely like to hear it someday though but the limited production is going to make that hard.

I also think the new design looks worse than the L3000. The white rim around the headband is ugly, and the black housing doesn't mesh well with the brown leather IMO.
The bigger logos aren't my thing either.

The question is how it sounds though, several decades of technology improvements should prove interesting how they've upgraded the drivers.

Last edited:
Aug 30, 2018 at 2:28 AM Post #13 of 235
Dang....I miss my L3000. Should have kept it but clearly preferred the HD800 to it. Glad AT is back at crafting a top flight headphones again. Personally speaking, I like the look of the L3000 better.

Sep 2, 2018 at 2:40 PM Post #14 of 235
I heard it at the HK AV Show. It was a really refined sound. Everything was very controlled and refined, nothing was in the way, and you'd feel very comfortable listening to it. I'd say it is slightly cold sound, bass is neutral-bass light, less bass than the W3000anv, but much clearer with MUCH better separation. However, it still has that AT Woodies signature closed-in soundstage (i.e. not very wide).

Sep 2, 2018 at 3:52 PM Post #15 of 235
I heard it at the HK AV Show. It was a really refined sound. Everything was very controlled and refined, nothing was in the way, and you'd feel very comfortable listening to it. I'd say it is slightly cold sound, bass is neutral-bass light, less bass than the W3000anv, but much clearer with MUCH better separation. However, it still has that AT Woodies signature closed-in soundstage (i.e. not very wide).

They have to do something special with that housing in order to produce much wider soundstage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back