Audio Technica ATH-IM70: A Bold New Direction
Nov 24, 2015 at 8:33 PM Post #1,007 of 1,104
Can somebody confirm if the IM70 cable connectors swivel or not? 
Do shure olive tips fit on the IM70 nozzle? 
Also I remember somebody here saying that the IM70 are similar sounding to the um3x but not as fast sounding as in instrument separation due to the dynamic drivers. 
I've recently sold my um3x after using extensively for nearly 3 years. 
Was wondering if the IM70 have more forwards mid range then the um3x.
Also are the IM70 as thick sounding and non fatiguing as the um3x. 
By non fatiguing sound for me means no harsh bright trebles/sibilant/treble.  

So far what I know between the IM70 and UM3X from what I've read here. 

IM70:
-more sub and mid bass
-bigger sound stage 

UM3X:
-not as smooth mid range??
-less bass
-better instrument separation 

Unclear:
-Mids
-harshness
-sibilance  

Nov 24, 2015 at 8:48 PM Post #1,008 of 1,104
Also I remember somebody here saying that the IM70 are similar sounding to the um3x but not as fast sounding as in instrument separation due to the dynamic drivers. 

IM70:
-more sub and mid bass
-bigger sound stage 

UM3X:
-less bass

Unclear:
-Mids
-harshness
-sibilance  

In sequential order (of what I can answer based on experience)

• IM70 connectors do not swivel
  • I do not believe they fit due to a large difference in the nozzle size (would be difficult to stretch on)
  • Can't answer the rest of questions on the UM3X. I only own the W60's
    tongue.gif

Nov 26, 2015 at 7:41 PM Post #1,009 of 1,104

IM70:
-more sub and mid bass
-bigger sound stage 

UM3X:
-less bass

Unclear:
-Mids
-harshness
-sibilance  

In sequential order (of what I can answer based on experience)

• IM70 connectors do not swivel
  • I do not believe they fit due to a large difference in the nozzle size (would be difficult to stretch on)
  • Can't answer the rest of questions on the UM3X. I only own the W60's
    tongue.gif

+1!!!!

yes the olives will not fit (unless you remove the stem)

Dec 12, 2015 at 2:17 PM Post #1,010 of 1,104

I reviewed the EX1 with comparisons to the GR07, RE400 and CKR9... it's in my sig.

Basically EX1 has good quality bass but less quantity and might lack slam and impact if you're going for the IM70. GR07 to me has the best tuning, just enough quantity and quality.
Mids is not EX1's strength... it's slightly recessed. IM70 (basically a CKR9 with worse treble) and GR07 easily wins this one.
Treble is airy and extended. Much further than the IM70, just as far as the GR07 but less harsh. It's my favorite treble.
Soundstage EX1 wins easily. Width, depth, imaging... top-notch. GR07 is mainly width with nearly no depth.

It's very good value for money, but if it's bass and beautiful mids you want you won't get it.

Dude,if you were to choose between IM70 and EX1,which one would you choose and why? Thank you.

Dec 19, 2015 at 12:52 AM Post #1,011 of 1,104

Dude,if you were to choose between IM70 and EX1,which one would you choose and why? Thank you.

I would choose the EX 1 as the IM 70 sound a tad too dark for my taste. The details are also muddied out but this also makes it sound smooth and laid back.It sounds bassy-ish with good quantity 

The EX 1 on the other hand have better detail retrieval and transparency with more sense of attack and forward sound.

The only reason i would choose the IM70 will be for the detachable cable.

BUT........

In the end i got a soundmagic e80 because It has better value overall to me and has the detail retrieval i like....... and besides,im not a bass lover though bass is important too.

Dec 19, 2015 at 5:03 AM Post #1,012 of 1,104
  I would choose the EX 1 as the IM 70 sound a tad too dark for my taste. The details are also muddied out but this also makes it sound smooth and laid back.It sounds bassy-ish with good quantity 

The EX 1 on the other hand have better detail retrieval and transparency with more sense of attack and forward sound.

The only reason i would choose the IM70 will be for the detachable cable.

BUT........

In the end i got a soundmagic e80 because It has better value overall to me and has the detail retrieval i like....... and besides,im not a bass lover though bass is important too.

Dude,how is the bass of e80 compared to IM70?

Dec 19, 2015 at 9:19 AM Post #1,013 of 1,104
If you like big, deep yet clean and well textured bass with great detail and uncompromised mids and treble, I would recommend the JVC HA-FX1200. Got them as an upgrade from my IM70s and man are they sweet. I don't know if it's the 11mm diameter wood dome driver (birch) or the copious amount of damping and absorbers, but they certainly got something right.

It's like getting the richness of a tube amp without a tube. Sound is far from reference though but the coloring makes it great joy to listen to. And if you're worried about the bass muddying things up, don't be. The Hi Res audio label on the box is very well deserved. Everything from pop, edm, rock, orchestra and Jazz sounded dynamic and alive with stupendous detail.

Did I mention they come with detachable 6N OFC cable? (MMCX connection) I think that's enough to satisfy most cable purists. So if you're someone who's concerned about cable quality (I don't), JVC has you covered. Tried them out with some moon audio cables(or was it luna? Meh.) and they sounded exactly the same. They are also relatively easy to drive. 

Of course, the downsides:

Cost - They are a fair bit pricier than most of the ATH IEMs 
Fabric cable - Accursed twisting! But wait, you can swap them out!
Wood housing -  No wet or greasy fingers if you want to keep them in good condition. Of course, that applies to the fabric cable as well
Weight - They weight quite a bit because there's plenty of wood and metal inside the housing.

I'm lucky enough to get mine at a good price of 280USD.

This link has the most detailed information on them that I can find in English :p

http://shop.amplifiedhead.com/products/JVC-HA-FX1200/683

Dec 20, 2015 at 1:39 AM Post #1,014 of 1,104

Dude,how is the bass of e80 compared to IM70?

bass in terms quality or quantity?

Quantity wise the IM70s have far more bass but also sounds flabby-ish.

Quality wise the bass of the e80 will win out as it is tighter and more detailed.

Dec 20, 2015 at 1:48 AM Post #1,015 of 1,104
  If you like big, deep yet clean and well textured bass with great detail and uncompromised mids and treble, I would recommend the JVC HA-FX1200. Got them as an upgrade from my IM70s and man are they sweet. I don't know if it's the 11mm diameter wood dome driver (birch) or the copious amount of damping and absorbers, but they certainly got something right.

It's like getting the richness of a tube amp without a tube. Sound is far from reference though but the coloring makes it great joy to listen to. And if you're worried about the bass muddying things up, don't be. The Hi Res audio label on the box is very well deserved. Everything from pop, edm, rock, orchestra and Jazz sounded dynamic and alive with stupendous detail.

Did I mention they come with detachable 6N OFC cable? (MMCX connection) I think that's enough to satisfy most cable purists. So if you're someone who's concerned about cable quality (I don't), JVC has you covered. Tried them out with some moon audio cables(or was it luna? Meh.) and they sounded exactly the same. They are also relatively easy to drive. 

Of course, the downsides:

Cost - They are a fair bit pricier than most of the ATH IEMs 
Fabric cable - Accursed twisting! But wait, you can swap them out!
Wood housing -  No wet or greasy fingers if you want to keep them in good condition. Of course, that applies to the fabric cable as well
Weight - They weight quite a bit because there's plenty of wood and metal inside the housing.

I'm lucky enough to get mine at a good price of 280USD.

This link has the most detailed information on them that I can find in English :p

http://shop.amplifiedhead.com/products/JVC-HA-FX1200/683

I would save up the 120 USD and get myself a CKR-9. IMHO the JVCs are overpriced and not worth it.

I have tried the JVCs in Japan last month and personally... i hated the coloration .It makes the sound less harsh and smoother but it compromises the micro-details.

The CKR-9s will be much better in terms of value.Cripser and more detailed sound on top of the bass texture and quality of the JVCs .
Want tube amp sound?
Get a butget one from the 120 usd you save.

Dec 20, 2015 at 10:07 AM Post #1,017 of 1,104

I would save up the 120 USD and get myself a CKR-9. IMHO the JVCs are overpriced and not worth it.

I have tried the JVCs in Japan last month and personally... i hated the coloration .It makes the sound less harsh and smoother but it compromises the micro-details.

The CKR-9s will be much better in terms of value.Cripser and more detailed sound on top of the bass texture and quality of the JVCs .
Want tube amp sound?
Get a butget one from the 120 usd you save.

If you love harsh sound that's your preference, but I must disagree with you on the micro-details. It has plenty of details despite being coloured which is why I enjoyed them. I've compared the JVC FA-HX1200 to many other headphones and IEMs both entry level and flagships and from my experience, nothing in the detail department is compromised. Everything I can hear on them, I can hear on the JVC FA-HX1200.

But hey, I'm just trying to share my experience here and encourage others to give the JVC woodies a try. If they like it, good for them, otherwise there's still plenty of others to chose from, such as the CKR-9. Just thought others might enjoy some other alternatives coming from someone who enjoyed the IM70 sound.

Also, budget tube amps are a gamble. The QC is all over the place, not to mention you lose all portability with it. With the 1200s, it's just plug and play. No fuss, no drama.

Dec 20, 2015 at 10:51 AM Post #1,018 of 1,104
If you love harsh sound that's your preference, but I must disagree with you on the micro-details.

I don't agree with you about the CKR9 being harsh.

Dec 20, 2015 at 6:51 PM Post #1,020 of 1,104
I always prefer quality over quantity.Any sibilance in e80. Thanks,dude!

There will be a small amount of sibilance on treble heavy instrumental tracks with lots of high pitched instruments on higher volumes but otherwise there is no sibilance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back