Audio Technica ATH-IM70: A Bold New Direction
Oct 27, 2015 at 7:42 AM Post #976 of 1,104
  Out of these iems ,
i can find re 400 for 100 dollars and etymotic mc5 for 120 dollar in india. rest of them are not available in india
and i colud find gr07 classic for 99 dollar so they stand to these iems in term of sonic quality?

In my opinion,

gr07 classic> re 400

but mc 5 .....
dont know since its better at details compared to the both of them but not as smooth 

depends on taste

Oct 27, 2015 at 9:44 AM Post #977 of 1,104
  i need an all-rounder.. mainly like listening to faster tracks but like to have one capable of playing most of the genres fits the bill for me
also please shred some thoughts whether apple mac book air is source enough to drive these iems?

Sorry, I forgot to add that part. You won't have any trouble driving either of these from anything. Most IEMs are going to be easily driven from any source. IEMs that truly NEED an amp are very, very few.

Both can play everything, it's more a matter of whether you like a smooth sound vs a clear sound. GR07 is better with faster tracks because it has less bass, but IM70 has a better midrange. The GR07 has clearer highs, but the IM70 is much less fatiguing. It really comes down to what type of sound you like vs which is better, because they're both on the same level. 

Oct 27, 2015 at 9:49 AM Post #978 of 1,104
Sorry, I forgot to add that part. You won't have any trouble driving either of these from anything. Most IEMs are going to be easily driven from any source. IEMs that truly NEED an amp are very, very few.

Both can play everything, it's more a matter of whether you like a smooth sound vs a clear sound. GR07 is better with faster tracks because it has less bass, but IM70 has a better midrange. The GR07 has clearer highs, but the IM70 is much less fatiguing. It really comes down to what type of sound you like vs which is better, because they're both on the same level. 
I greatly enjoy the IM70, it is great with all styles of music.

Oct 27, 2015 at 10:41 AM Post #979 of 1,104

i think im not going to be wrong with both of them.. let me try im70 considering their build quality and i could find it cheaper than gr07 as well
and lastly in what way a open vent at the back of gr07 is advantageous??

Oct 27, 2015 at 10:51 AM Post #980 of 1,104
  i think im not going to be wrong with both of them.. let me try im70 considering their build quality and i could find it cheaper than gr07 as well
and lastly in what way a open vent at the back of gr07 is advantageous??

Both of them are vented, and it just allows the driver to "breathe" so to speak. Too much pressure could damage the driver. That said, the IM70 will isolate better but not because of venting, more because of its smoother treble and bigger bass.

Oct 27, 2015 at 12:04 PM Post #981 of 1,104
  Out of these iems ,
i can find re 400 for 100 dollars and etymotic mc5 for 120 dollar in india. rest of them are not available in india
and i colud find gr07 classic for 99 dollar so they stand to these iems in term of sonic quality?

Love the GR07 Classic, great balance but sometimes the treble can get harsh.

You an consider the ATH-CKR9 as well, it has the warmth and mids of the IM70 plus a little treble sparkle of the GR07, but not at all harsh. Better soundstage depth as well. Heard IM70 and CKR9 and preferred the CKR9 bcos I don't like rolled-off treble.

Oct 27, 2015 at 6:25 PM Post #982 of 1,104
  hi guys
i m planning to choose one between ATH im70 and gr07 classic(99$)
which one offers better detail and instrument seperation?
and i want to drive it from apple macbook air as source
Do i need any extra source to drivde them?

no issues with driving either earphone out of a MacBook air (as stated earlier)

I don't have the classics but I have the gr07BE (which is a close cousin) supposedly.

for me, I found the gr07be to be a more detailed listen, its more articulate in the treble where as I found with the im70 (thought much smoother and very easy to listen to) lost some of that crunch and snap that I enjoy.

bass wise I would say the gr07 has better extension in the bass, but the im70 is punchier because of the mid to upper bass emphasis. tightness of the bass goes gr07 without question.  but again smooth warm sound of the im70 is hard to ignore, just scrumptious!

midrange- the gr07 in comparison sounds colder and not as emotionally involving as the im70 (which because of that upper bass warm, makes them a enjoyable listen).

again---> detailed (Gr07) vs enjoyment (IM70)

Oct 28, 2015 at 12:36 AM Post #983 of 1,104
i need an all-rounder.. mainly like listening to faster tracks but like to have one capable of playing most of the genres fits the bill for me
also please shred some thoughts whether apple mac book air is source enough to drive these iems?

The gr07 works well with most genres, I just found it lacking bass when it comes to hip hop, pop and edm type genres.

Oct 28, 2015 at 2:10 AM Post #984 of 1,104

Love the GR07 Classic, great balance but sometimes the treble can get harsh.

You an consider the ATH-CKR9 as well, it has the warmth and mids of the IM70 plus a little treble sparkle of the GR07, but not at all harsh. Better soundstage depth as well. Heard IM70 and CKR9 and preferred the CKR9 bcos I don't like rolled-off treble.

ckr9 is on another league as far as budget is concerned..

Oct 28, 2015 at 3:10 AM Post #985 of 1,104

no issues with driving either earphone out of a MacBook air (as stated earlier)

I don't have the classics but I have the gr07BE (which is a close cousin) supposedly.

for me, I found the gr07be to be a more detailed listen, its more articulate in the treble where as I found with the im70 (thought much smoother and very easy to listen to) lost some of that crunch and snap that I enjoy.

bass wise I would say the gr07 has better extension in the bass, but the im70 is punchier because of the mid to upper bass emphasis. tightness of the bass goes gr07 without question.  but again smooth warm sound of the im70 is hard to ignore, just scrumptious!

midrange- the gr07 in comparison sounds colder and not as emotionally involving as the im70 (which because of that upper bass warm, makes them a enjoyable listen).

again---> detailed (Gr07) vs enjoyment (IM70)

Its pretty hard to select between these two.. let me try im70 

Oct 28, 2015 at 7:07 AM Post #986 of 1,104
  Its pretty hard to select between these two.. let me try im70 

Certainly a very accessible sound... the bass and mids of the IM70 are quite something.

Oct 28, 2015 at 8:57 PM Post #988 of 1,104

older post but I figured id chime in,

the dunu titan 1s I find is more detailed with a similar sort of bass

not exactly, the dunu titan 1s is more midbassy where as I found with im70s its more upper bassy (which I find doesn't give that same level of depth in terms of bass punch)

its kinda like... hm... say a smart car ramming a wall at 100mph and a Toyota camry also ramming a wall at 100mph (the camry being the titan 1s and the smart car being the im70) both have the same speed but due to the mass of the camry it hits with more impact

crappy analogy but I can't think of a better one

the titan 1s, is more treble forward, making it quite an aggressive listen, its also more emphasized in the upper mids with more of a scoop in the middle

so the midrange sounds thinner > im70, which is much lusher and more forward (but can be a bit unnatural at times)

soundstage I would say their equal but for different reasons

the im70 I think is more 3D in terms of its imaging, its not the widest soundstage, I wouldn't go so far to say its closed, but just a bit intimate

the titan 1s are airier and more expansive, but can be a bit diffuse, but both fair well in terms of placement of instruments (maybe the im70s would take the slightest edge)

isolation is wash, both aren't great, but the im70 do a much better job then the semi open titans (i think theres a total of 6-7 vents on each earpieces if im not mistaken)

nevertheless i like both! but if i had a gun pointed next to me..... i would go with.... i dunno
biggrin.gif

he already posted something like that

Oct 28, 2015 at 9:00 PM Post #989 of 1,104
Based on the measurements on the "official" fiio website, the ex1 and dunu titan 1 are identical in sound quality (almost).

http://www.fiio.net/en/products/43

that is "the" exact graph from innerfidelity.com of the dunu titan. Clearly the fiio ex1 is just a rebranded dunu titan 1 with slight changes to the cable/logo.

So you can compare the im70 to a dunu titan cuz titan=ex1

XD

Oct 29, 2015 at 1:12 AM Post #990 of 1,104
  any idea about fiio ex1?
comparatively?

I reviewed the EX1 with comparisons to the GR07, RE400 and CKR9... it's in my sig.

Basically EX1 has good quality bass but less quantity and might lack slam and impact if you're going for the IM70. GR07 to me has the best tuning, just enough quantity and quality.
Mids is not EX1's strength... it's slightly recessed. IM70 (basically a CKR9 with worse treble) and GR07 easily wins this one.
Treble is airy and extended. Much further than the IM70, just as far as the GR07 but less harsh. It's my favorite treble.
Soundstage EX1 wins easily. Width, depth, imaging... top-notch. GR07 is mainly width with nearly no depth.

It's very good value for money, but if it's bass and beautiful mids you want you won't get it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back