Audio Technica ATH-IM70: A Bold New Direction
Feb 9, 2015 at 4:38 PM Post #691 of 1,104
  nope, I had a good seal before and didn't notice any problem - I think it might just be a psychological thing because I thought "oh no the alcohol got in it's gonna sound bad now". Sometimes I don't notice any problem at all. I think many songs are mixed to have treble on the left channel more but I did check by making everything mono. At the very worst I think there might be a bit of alcohol stuck in the nozzle but I don't think it would affect the sound very much.

Can you unplug the cables and try to connect R to L and vice versa and check them again? If the problem still remains, try to remove the filter with a needle and clean inside of the nozzle with a cotton stick.

Feb 9, 2015 at 6:43 PM Post #692 of 1,104

If you're getting sibilance from the IM70 there's something wrong somewhere. It's very, very smooth in the treble so I would reckon you're doing one of a few things like listening to very poor or distorted file quality, using an amp or EQ when not warranted, listening too loud, or some combination of things. What are you listening to that's sibilant? Sometimes music is just produced that way as well.

I tried listening on both my laptop and iPhone so the EQ problem is crossed out. Even checked my spotify EQ, it was on... switched it off and there was no difference. Not even placebo wants to help me think it sounds better!  

Could you try this song? The sibilance comes out especially when he sings/shout at a higher volume. (Sorry it's in Japanese with cringe worthy English lol) 

Either the recording/file is bad or it's the singer. I guess I'll just use foam tips for now. 

Feb 9, 2015 at 7:15 PM Post #694 of 1,104
  I tried listening on both my laptop and iPhone so the EQ problem is crossed out. Even checked my spotify EQ, it was on... switched it off and there was no difference. Not even placebo wants to help me think it sounds better!  

Could you try this song? The sibilance comes out especially when he sings/shout at a higher volume. (Sorry it's in Japanese with cringe worthy English lol) 

Either the recording/file is bad or it's the singer. I guess I'll just use foam tips for now. 

To be honest, I don't find it sibilant with either the IM series or the much brighter CKR series. I has that Japanese harshness in the upper mid, but it's not bothersome to me. That said, people have varying levels of tolerance to upper frequencies so it may just be that you're more sensitive to the upper mids and treble. Another thing to note is that J-Pop is often recorded with poor dynamic levels and the Japanese tongue's very harsh and percussive S, K, and CH sounds don't pair well with them. I'm guessing this is a combination of your sensitivity to treble and the song itself, though I don't find it offensive at all with the IM. 

Feb 9, 2015 at 7:49 PM Post #695 of 1,104

To be honest, I don't find it sibilant with either the IM series or the much brighter CKR series. I has that Japanese harshness in the upper mid, but it's not bothersome to me. That said, people have varying levels of tolerance to upper frequencies so it may just be that you're more sensitive to the upper mids and treble. Another thing to note is that J-Pop is often recorded with poor dynamic levels and the Japanese tongue's very harsh and percussive S, K, and CH sounds don't pair well with them. I'm guessing this is a combination of your sensitivity to treble and the song itself, though I don't find it offensive at all with the IM. 

Man, my ears are certainly hard to please. It's a pity, I really like the bass with the silicone tips, I guess I'll try the Sony Hybrids and Piston's tips when they arrive, with the IM70. By the way, did you take off the filters on the IM70? Thanks for the help 
smile_phones.gif

Feb 9, 2015 at 7:51 PM Post #696 of 1,104
  Man, my ears are certainly hard to please. It's a pity, I really like the bass with the silicone tips, I guess I'll try the Sony Hybrids and Piston's tips when they arrive, with the IM70. By the way, did you take off the filters on the IM70? Thanks for the help 
smile_phones.gif

No, I have the filters on mine. Out of curiosity, how harsh does this sound to your ears with the IM70? 

Feb 9, 2015 at 8:14 PM Post #697 of 1,104

No, I have the filters on mine. Out of curiosity, how harsh does this sound to your ears with the IM70? 

Sounds okay actually o.o. Except for that guitar screech? at 1:23. I think I'm just sensitive to sounds that quite a lot of air going through small holes at high pitch. E.g. Whispers, Whistles. Especially hate people blowing their recorders at the highest pitch. Uck.  

Feb 9, 2015 at 9:35 PM Post #698 of 1,104

Sounds ok, but it does get a little annoying (mostly the hi-hat of the drum, but it can be the yt quality, because i have the same issues with low quality mp3's most of the time). My 70's have no filters, and i'm using the VSonic isolation tips (silicon with foam in them). Might get a little harsh with the TTPod tips, since they have a wider bore, but it's sounds ok.

Feb 9, 2015 at 11:19 PM Post #699 of 1,104

Can you unplug the cables and try to connect R to L and vice versa and check them again? If the problem still remains, try to remove the filter with a needle and clean inside of the nozzle with a cotton stick.

hmm, I tried unplugging but not sure if you can switch the cables around. With wide-bore tips I don't really notice much "imbalance", maybe a bit. Sound becomes very detailed with the wide-bore tips but the fit becomes loose as the wide bores push all the way back. My ear just feels a bit stuffy these days as there seems to be dust or something stuck inside (can't really remove it either!). With other headphones I don't worry about that.

Feb 10, 2015 at 4:30 AM Post #700 of 1,104

hmm, I tried unplugging but not sure if you can switch the cables around. With wide-bore tips I don't really notice much "imbalance", maybe a bit. Sound becomes very detailed with the wide-bore tips but the fit becomes loose as the wide bores push all the way back. My ear just feels a bit stuffy these days as there seems to be dust or something stuck inside (can't really remove it either!). With other headphones I don't worry about that.

Yes, you can switch the cables. 

Feb 10, 2015 at 7:32 PM Post #702 of 1,104
Hi guys,

Decided to buy one this week (used). Any aftermarket suggestions?

I've been searching at Lunashops and found this: http://goo.gl/HnMyih

Hope to hear your feedback.

Thanks!

Feb 10, 2015 at 7:57 PM Post #703 of 1,104
Hi guys,

Decided to buy one this week (used). Any aftermarket suggestions?

I've been searching at Lunashops and found this: http://goo.gl/HnMyih

Hope to hear your feedback.

Thanks!

Go for this cable with mic. 

http://www.lunashops.com/goods.php?id=4402

Feb 11, 2015 at 1:29 AM Post #705 of 1,104

Go for this cable with mic. 

http://www.lunashops.com/goods.php?id=4402

Is it any better than this one:

That one costs $40.

I think I will not be needing the mic since I will be plugging it straight on my Clip Zip.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back