Audio Technica ATH-E70, ATH-E50, ATH-E40 IEMs announced at NAMM 2016
Apr 17, 2016 at 8:00 PM Post #286 of 1,068

Dime_137993_1.jpg

His hands are HUGE!
biggrin.gif

Apr 17, 2016 at 8:15 PM Post #287 of 1,068
E70 has slightly better than IM04, but both when audition just took me few minutes only, if I had bring my own comply tips can tell the huge different sound improvement too.

E70 has 3 Ba the sound are slightly better or IM04 are better, just trust your ear.

IMG_20160402_115821_1459590134240_zpsct65v6ot.jpg

Apr 17, 2016 at 8:29 PM Post #288 of 1,068
I just ordered the E40! They should arrive on Tuesday
regular_smile .gif

It's great to be able to purchase an IEM that is actually being sold in the UK instead of paying customs all of the time. This means I've actually paid less for these than I did for the ATH IM70 and ATH CKN70. If the initial impressions by folk are correct, these will be a huge upgrade on the CKN70 and quite a decent upgrade on the IM70
regular_smile .gif

Apr 17, 2016 at 8:38 PM Post #289 of 1,068
I just ordered the E40! They should arrive on Tuesday
regular_smile%20.gif

It's great to be able to purchase an IEM that is actually being sold in the UK instead of paying customs all of the time. This means I've actually paid less for these than I did for the ATH IM70 and ATH CKN70. If the initial impressions by folk are correct, these will be a huge upgrade on the CKN70 and quite a decent upgrade on the IM70
regular_smile%20.gif

Please share your impressions when you can :D

Apr 18, 2016 at 12:59 AM Post #291 of 1,068
I'll try my best :smile:

Anyone who has them or heard them already; are they easy to drive?
do tell us about the fit as well, as it looks quite a lot smaller than the IMx0s, with shorter nozzle too. I like how the design the back plate to be transparent.

Apr 18, 2016 at 8:54 AM Post #293 of 1,068

6297951112_f26a6b5017_b.jpg

Jude in E Earphone, Japan. Possibly best shop in the world

Thats the one at OSAKA! I was right there! too bad the company i was with didnt appreciate all these stuff so had to move on quickly. got some spiral tips and sony tips from there

Apr 18, 2016 at 8:57 AM Post #294 of 1,068
do tell us about the fit as well, as it looks quite a lot smaller than the IMx0s, with shorter nozzle too. I like how the design the back plate to be transparent.

Fits fine, feels solid and quite a heft, def not a earbud i would put in and forget. I would say its like the CKR10 or 9 but worn over the ear. Yeah, i like the transparent back plate too, makes it look professional. It doesnt stick out as much as the IMx0s thats for sure. 
  I'll try my best
smile.gif

Anyone who has them or heard them already; are they easy to drive?

They seem to be driven fine by my ipod touch 4G when i first tried the E40s on

Apr 18, 2016 at 3:15 PM Post #295 of 1,068

Unfortunately I received an email from the place I ordered them from and they told me there was none left in stock even though they were only due today and I ordered them last night, yeah right! They said they won't have them in stock until mid June now so I'll be getting a refund and will have to look elsewhere.

Fits fine, feels solid and quite a heft, def not a earbud i would put in and forget. I would say its like the CKR10 or 9 but worn over the ear. Yeah, i like the transparent back plate too, makes it look professional. It doesnt stick out as much as the IMx0s thats for sure. 

They seem to be driven fine by my ipod touch 4G when i first tried the E40s on

Thanks.

Apr 18, 2016 at 9:59 PM Post #296 of 1,068
Unfortunately I received an email from the place I ordered them from and they told me there was none left in stock even though they were only due today and I ordered them last night, yeah right! They said they won't have them in stock until mid June now so I'll be getting a refund and will have to look elsewhere.

Thanks.
haha, one national online retailer i see have only 2 in stock... and that was their new stock... wonder whether if I check right now it'd be gone already... I'm not gonna buy it now, gotta try it out first and then wait for the price to settle down a bit.

Apr 19, 2016 at 12:21 AM Post #297 of 1,068
haha, one national online retailer i see have only 2 in stock... and that was their new stock... wonder whether if I check right now it'd be gone already... I'm not gonna buy it now, gotta try it out first and then wait for the price to settle down a bit.

I have sent out emails to 3 other places awaiting stock so I will probably have a response later on today.

Apr 19, 2016 at 2:41 AM Post #298 of 1,068
Hi everybody! I'm a newbie here. I read through this thread before biting the bullet on the E40. I can't provide a technical analysis of the sound, but it blows my mind that this sound is available for $99.

That said, the fit is a big, big issue. A few others have mentioned that the fit with the provided silicone tips can be difficult, but in my opinion that is understating the issue. The nozzle is not only very short, ATH decided to put a raised "ring" around the base of the nozzle which effectively shortens it even more. The "ring" likely serves to help the nozzle from snapping, but in this case it will smash up against the lower cartilage of your ear while preventing a good seal.

Normally I would just say install foam tips, but the nozzle is so short that I'm skeptical that I will be able to get a good seal even with foam tips.

The sound is wonderful, but I'm not sure if it's worth fiddling around for 5 minutes every time I want to use these. I will wait to provide a final verdict after I try foam tips, but for now, what a shame!

Edit: In case some wonder if I'm a complete noob about fit, I have had the Etymotic HF5 and MC5, and currently own the Westone W30's. The poor fit of the ATH E40 definitely makes me appreciate the ease with which I was able to get isolation/seals with the listed IEMs.

Apr 19, 2016 at 4:08 AM Post #299 of 1,068
  Hi everybody! I'm a newbie here. I read through this thread before biting the bullet on the E40. I can't provide a technical analysis of the sound, but it blows my mind that this sound is available for $99.

That said, the fit is a big, big issue. A few others have mentioned that the fit with the provided silicone tips can be difficult, but in my opinion that is understating the issue. The nozzle is not only very short, ATH decided to put a raised "ring" around the base of the nozzle which effectively shortens it even more. The "ring" likely serves to help the nozzle from snapping, but in this case it will smash up against the lower cartilage of your ear while preventing a good seal.

Normally I would just say install foam tips, but the nozzle is so short that I'm skeptical that I will be able to get a good seal even with foam tips.

The sound is wonderful, but I'm not sure if it's worth fiddling around for 5 minutes every time I want to use these. I will wait to provide a final verdict after I try foam tips, but for now, what a shame!

Edit: In case some wonder if I'm a complete noob about fit, I have had the Etymotic HF5 and MC5, and currently own the Westone W30's. The poor fit of the ATH E40 definitely makes me appreciate the ease with which I was able to get isolation/seals with the listed IEMs.

There goes 1 person claims he has problem with fitting, the issue is as I feared the short nozzle... This usually vary case by case though.. so I think demo 1st is a must...
About it not being long though, some folks in IM series did have similar problem with their IM02, some fix it with adding one layer of a cut silicon bore to give extension (?) didn't reply catch what they mean, but you can check that thread for a probable fix.

Apr 19, 2016 at 8:28 AM Post #300 of 1,068
You can flip them and try the fit again. L to R and R to L. Raises the tube up higher some and should be tried.

Of course bending the memory wire right helps. You can be surprised that they may go a little deeper.

Don't know your ears but worth a try. I know that I look forward to a cable w/o a memory wire coming along sometime. And a bit shorter as I don't always need 1.6 meters.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back