Audio-Technica ATH-DSR9BT/ATH-DSR7BT Bluetooth Headphones (With Digital Drive Technology That Replaces a Traditional DAC)
Nov 15, 2017 at 9:07 AM Post #181 of 260
Well, my 1Z is supporting AptX HD, and the only worthy headphones for this feature is ......

Anyways, it is interesting to see the digital audio world being evolving. Direct digital drive ? Very interesting. Apparently there is no Digital to Analog conversion with the D-Note chips. I cam across their website, and it appear that the Dnotes are utilizing “multiple voice coil configuration” to Directly move the Dynamic driver which in turn will generate sound. Therefore, the more voice coil count, the better. The differences from 9BT vs 7BT is 4 Wires voice coil Vs 1 Single wire voice coil. It seems to me that the way this chip is working is that it invert and feed the digital signals directly into the different voice coil all at the same time, and in return it can move the voice-coil so fast that utilize this mechanical movements to resemble the original “sinwaves” , where as conventionally the digital needs to be converted into Analog signals and then being amplified by the amplifier. By going conventional, the analog conversion and amplification will color the sound in the end.

Sony had been using S-Master as a tool of calling Direct Digital as well, but instead of driving the Voice Coil mechanically like this, Sony put it through Pulses Modulation Coding Which in turn converted it into Analog signals, and then feed this signals into Class D amplification to drive Headphones.

The D-Notes, I think is using something similar, but instead of having some switching mechanism of semiconductors and clocking mechanism, it uses the different phases inversions and feed them all at the same time into the “multiple voice coil winding”. So the Pulses generated by the Digital is totally “Direct” and in turn it resemble the movements up and down of a complete Sin waves, so the Analog is the Voice-Coil itself, and the diagrams are making music.

Now, the question is how did the D-Note get enough power to move the multiple voice coil ? Well, I would say that the received Digital Signals gets Amplified, but since the Digital signals are DC signals, to amplify the DC signals using DC signals, the task is easier than having DC powersource (battery) and then all that conversion to in the end amplifying an analog signals. I guess this is where the ultimate result of pure amplification, pure digital drive, and efficiency come into play.

Genius ideas ! I am very interested into this Headphones and so I have bit the bullet to try and see if this is the Bluetooth evolution that I had been waiting for.

If I understand this technology properly, it is best applied into Bluetooth technology, and not yet DAP or DAC. Because each Chip can only be specially tuned for the physique of each unique voice-coil only and alone. Interchanging voice-coil seems not possible as this block is showing 4 voice coils from 1 Driver. Unless any other interchangeable Headphones driver also have 4 voice-coils or 8 Wires to become possible. I don’t think the market is ready for it yet.

The diversity is real ! Direct digital from S-master for interchangeable headphones or loads! And Direct Digital drive for Bluetooth from Dnotes! The good thing is that D-Notes is not patented by ATH, so we will be more likely seeing a huge market of High-End Bluetooth Headphones very soon in the future

https://www.trigence.com/digital-speaker-module

ATH-DSR9BT !!

How this works was discussed earlier in the thread. There some patents related to this if you want to read more. It's using sigma delta modulation, but without a low pass filter so they're able to say 'direct digital drive'. The innovation is to use multiple voice coils and drive them in parallel which reduces the needed drive voltage and increases efficiency. Having 4 voice coils also gives them some very coarse direct digital control of the driver. The primary motivation is power efficiency, which is why it was first used in car stereo systems, and now if bluetooth headphones. They aspirationally state that it can open possibilities for better audio quality in the future.

In the marketing material they say 'The Pure Digital Drive system also enables the ATH-DSR9BT to overcome the sonic limitations of conventional Bluetooth wireless transmissions by supporting the 24-bit/48kHz Qualcomm® aptX™ HD codec'. They're really conflating aptX HD and the 'direct digital' drive of the transducer. As they state, it's the aptX HD codec which enables better audio quality over bluetooth.

Audio Technica haven't patented this because the ipr belongs to Trigence.

Nov 15, 2017 at 10:01 AM Post #183 of 260
How could it be without lowpass filter? What about the errors
Sigma delta modulation is a form of pulse-density modulation where a stream of '1's and '0's are modulated to approximate an analogue signal. The output, however, is still just a very high frequency stream of '1's and '0's. This can cause unwanted artifacts in the audible frequencies so, typically, a simple analogue low pass filter is used to remove the unwanted high frequency stuff and smooth out the stream of '1's and '0's into an analogue waveform. This filter is where you could say the digital to analogue conversion is happening, although I think it's clear that the sigma-delta modulator is the thing which is doing the real work.

By oversampling the at a high enough frequency you push the high frequency components up to such a high frequency that you can simplify or eliminate the analogue low-pass filer. The Chord Mojo and other Chord DACs/amps are an example of this, so they too could claim to have direct digital drive.

Nov 17, 2017 at 10:19 AM Post #186 of 260
Anyone have an issue where the DSR9BT won't show up as an output device when connected through USB? Trying to test the USB function but I can't get it to work. Using a 2016 12 inch Retina Macbook

I can’t get it to work with any Apple Idevices even with Camera kit. Windows 10 does not list it as being recognized as usb device, and I can’t choose between audio out yet in the manager.

I can’t find the driver for it

Nov 21, 2017 at 6:12 AM Post #188 of 260
Last edited:
Nov 21, 2017 at 9:29 AM Post #189 of 260
Bought it from Best Buy Sunday at sale price.

Tried it out last night. Connected with my iPhone 7+. Shows the connection is AAC per manual. Very clear but not harsh sounding upper range. Nuetral mid-range. Slightly light bass so far. Will need more time to break in.

Couple of things:
1) When charging with USB cord, unable to connect to iphone. Is this normal?
2) Volume is near maximum for classical music. Pop/Rock music is 2 clicks down. Is the maximum volume very low for this headphone? Or is it more related to specific maximum volume in songs? Using iPhone 7+ w/ AAC encoded from Appleloss files by iTune.

Nov 21, 2017 at 10:26 AM Post #190 of 260
Bought it from Best Buy Sunday at sale price.

Tried it out last night. Connected with my iPhone 7+. Shows the connection is AAC per manual. Very clear but not harsh sounding upper range. Nuetral mid-range. Slightly light bass so far. Will need more time to break in.

Couple of things:
1) When charging with USB cord, unable to connect to iphone. Is this normal?
2) Volume is near maximum for classical music. Pop/Rock music is 2 clicks down. Is the maximum volume very low for this headphone? Or is it more related to specific maximum volume in songs? Using iPhone 7+ w/ AAC encoded from Appleloss files by iTune.

I have both the 7BT and the 9BT. I'm going to return one or the other but for now, I have both. I've been listening to these connected to a Note 8 and the iPhone 7+. It has been my experience that the volume is fine for me on either of these headphones. One thing to check is that you have the volume all the way up on the headphones and then use the volume on your phone to control it. The headphone volume is independent of the phone's volume. This setup works best for me.

As far as charging and listing on the iPhone by Bluetooth at the same time, this is not possible in my experience. If you connect the phones to a computer using the USB connection, the headphone will charge as you listen to music. It works either in USB mode or Bluetooth but not both at the same time.

Nov 21, 2017 at 11:09 AM Post #191 of 260
Thanks. I will try it again tonight.

I thought 7BT's headphone volume control is actually the same as the iPhone volume control. So I was only varying the headphone volume control. Did not bother with headphone's volume control. That was my experience with Jaybird bluetooth sports headphone. My mistake.

Nov 22, 2017 at 4:09 PM Post #193 of 260
Anyone has an issue where the DSR9BT won't show up as an output device when connected to USB? Trying to test the USB function but I can't get it to work. Using a 2016 12 inch Retina Macbook

I had the same issue testing this after I read your post. Hadn't tried the USB function before. I have the 7BT and the 9BT at this time. I tried the 9BT first and it would not show up on my Windows machine or my Mac. So, just for the fun of it, I tried the 7BT using the cable from the 9BT and it connects without any issue. It showed up as a USB audio device on both the Mac and the Windows system. After that, I tried the 9BT again and it showed up on both also?? I have no idea why using the 7BT "jump-started" the 9BT. All I can say is that the sound is fantastic connected by USB. You can't have the Bluetooth on while you connect with the USB cable.

Nov 22, 2017 at 4:21 PM Post #194 of 260
I had the same issue testing this after I read your post. Hadn't tried the USB function before. I have the 7BT and the 9BT at this time. I tried the 9BT first and it would not show up on my Windows machine or my Mac. So, just for the fun of it, I tried the 7BT using the cable from the 9BT and it connects without any issue. It showed up as a USB audio device on both the Mac and the Windows system. After that, I tried the 9BT again and it showed up on both also?? I have no idea why using the 7BT "jump-started" the 9BT. All I can say is that the sound is fantastic connected by USB. You can't have the Bluetooth on while you connect with the USB cable.

I have no 7BT, so I can not use it usb wired :frowning2: sad

Nov 22, 2017 at 8:55 PM Post #195 of 260
I have no 7BT, so I can not use it usb wired :frowning2: sad

Not sure if this may help, but I was reading reviews on this headphone today and found this

"I wanted to hook up the ATH-DSR7BTs to my computer and listen to some of my favorite high-resolution tracks. A-T’s instructions for how to do this were good, but after plugging in, it was two minutes before the headphones were discovered by my computer as a viable alternative to my usual desktop speakers. I chose the A-Ts as my default “speakers” and was ready to go. So have patience." This was taken out of a review at :

http://www.soundstagexperience.com/...udio-technica-ath-dsr7bt-bluetooth-headphones

This might be the same for the 9BT

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back