Audio Technica ATH-CK10
Jun 11, 2013 at 12:12 PM Post #1,426 of 1,585
Sony hybrids work well here, but will let the grilles exposed to all kind of debris. I find the AT original tips as good as those and offer much more protection.

By the way...

How on earth can anyone clean the residue off the grill. That thing is slightly recessed and I really can't think of anything.

Any comments are welcome!

Jun 12, 2013 at 3:34 PM Post #1,427 of 1,585
I went through all sorts of tips before finally settling on Klipsch gel ovals (unless you have tiny ears, get large ones - they're undersized). To me they have the best sound (slightly tempering the 9kHz spike whilst maintaining all the airiness and clarity and 'cultured' bottom end), as well as best comfort. Then again my canals are quite ovular and weirdly shaped...

Sony Hybrids come second for me, but not by far. Get cheapo eBay ones, sound/fit is the same.

Jun 12, 2013 at 3:45 PM Post #1,428 of 1,585
Quote:

How on earth can anyone clean the residue off the grill. That thing is slightly recessed and I really can't think of anything.

Yeah they're a bugger to clean, but when they get clogged up, they Really get clogged up, blocking out the sound.
I broke a pair after 18 months this way.

I now regularly take the tip off and carefully pick at any detritus, being extra careful not to push the filter (grill) further in. Not sure how much it helps, but I also store'em in a little peli case with silica gel when not in use; it's the sweat as much as wax wot does the damage. Before I run out of warranty on this pair, I'll probably have UM reshell'em.

Hmm, maybe get one of them hearing aid cleaners too.

These filters are a real pain, but my understanding is that with multi BA 'phones, the filter plays a major part in the sound sig. Indeed, when I sent my original broken pair in for fixing (this was after they discontinued the '10s), all AT UK did was remove the filters. This completely changed the sound and I ended up asking for me monies back instead, picking up a NOS pair off head-fi months later. Love the '10s though, they're pretty special.

Jun 14, 2013 at 11:25 AM Post #1,429 of 1,585
not sure how you guys get yours so dirty...  the part of mine that are getting beat up the most is the face plate.  years of putting them on my desk or something has slowly begun to scratch the surface.  just a bunch of little hairline scratches though, nothing like gouging out of it.

Jun 19, 2013 at 3:39 AM Post #1,430 of 1,585
Quote:
Sony hybrids work well here, but will let the grilles exposed to all kind of debris. I find the AT original tips as good as those and offer much more protection.

By the way...

To me, Sony Hybrids are much more comfortable and much more isolating (as of the ones with foam inserts.)
I've read somewhere that you could use the filter replacement tools from Etymotic, which IMO the best thing you could do when you clogged the filters and don't want to go through the hassle of remolding. Although it may alter the sound because we simply don't know which filters were in the CK10 and how to find it. So far, Ety offers 3 kind of filters in their store (green, white, clear.) But AT may use something more specific than that. Btw, If we happened to be living in Japan it would be much easier to service these titanium gems :|

Jun 22, 2013 at 5:27 AM Post #1,431 of 1,585
Quote:
I've read somewhere that you could use the filter replacement tools from Etymotic, which IMO the best thing you could do when you clogged the filters and don't want to go through the hassle of remolding.

Does anyone know what causes the filters to recede into the monitor? Is this an inevitable consequence of wear and tear or can it be prevented by regular cleaning? Also, do you know if this filter receding will negatively effect the sound over time?

I have a previously used CK10 (bought on here) where the filters are gone way back into the monitor. I bought two new pairs recently and the filters were flush with the top of the canal. The sound on my new pairs is considerably better than my used pair - the bass in particular is fuller on my new pairs and there is less sibilance.

I am hoping that regular cleaning of the filters will stop them blocking and also prevent them receding - I've started to use the fine mini-brush that came with my IE8s, which can reach the receded filters. Any further tips are appreciated!

It's a pain that they've been discontinued. Although my current sets should last 5 years or more, I know I'll really miss them when they finally bite the dust.

Jun 22, 2013 at 3:39 PM Post #1,432 of 1,585
Great, I'm glad I have two pairs but now I'm twice as worried 
rolleyes.gif

Jun 23, 2013 at 4:52 AM Post #1,433 of 1,585
Quote:

Does anyone know what causes the filters to recede into the monitor? Is this an inevitable consequence of wear and tear or can it be prevented by regular cleaning? Also, do you know if this filter receding will negatively effect the sound over time?

I am hoping that regular cleaning of the filters will stop them blocking and also prevent them receding - I've started to use the fine mini-brush that came with my IE8s, which can reach the receded filters. Any further tips are appreciated!

Once I gave my friend a listen and his ears aren't that clean, so he left a small piece of earwax on my left filter, ew :frowning2: Then I carefully picked it off with a toothpick. But even being extremely careful, I pushed the filter inside about 1-2mm. Though I haven't noticed any sound alteration.

I think there's simply no way to clean the filters and the attempt to clean them would result in receding them inside. The best thing to do is just keep your ears relatively clean, and store these gems in the case where there's much less dust than pockets. I personally like Westone's CIEM case because there's dehumidifier inside. Also, if you could live with Comply tips, the ones with earwax guards are interesting.

But be careful not to overly clean your ears. It will cause problems with your ears :wink:

Jun 23, 2013 at 4:32 PM Post #1,434 of 1,585
Great, I fastidiously clean my ears so I'm not worried about my CK10s anymore, just my ears
wink.gif

Jun 24, 2013 at 12:31 PM Post #1,435 of 1,585
well, about the bass, i believe there were two productions of the CK10, one is slightly more bassy than the other.  i don't really remember if that's true or not, but i think it was mentioned somewhere in this thread.

Jun 25, 2013 at 3:32 PM Post #1,436 of 1,585
Is there a way to tell the difference visually?
I have two pairs sitting here, still need to check out the ol' screen insertion depth
popcorn.gif

Jul 5, 2013 at 7:15 AM Post #1,438 of 1,585
My first 'proper' in-ear phone was the ck7 and I still have it after all this time. I recently sold my Sennheiser IE8 due to it becoming unbearable. Initially I loved that big bass sound and midband hump only to ultimately hate what I liked beforehand. Rolled off highs were another concern as well. It has that lovely soundstage that from now on will be a prerequisite in choosing a new ear phone. I have always liked the Audio Technica house sound and will one day make another purchase, maybe the CK100 Pro. What I'm after is the CK7 only with bass, more body, sparkle and a huge soundstage. Never again will I purchase any phone with a midband hump, truly fatiguing. I must be getting old.

Oct 1, 2013 at 10:34 PM Post #1,439 of 1,585
Mine finally gave out last week. No sound comes out of the left earpiece anymore :frowning2: 

I just ordered the CK100Pro, which I hope will be a good enough replacement for my beloved CK10s...Does anyone think contacting AT about the CK10s would get me anywhere? Think they'd offer to replace them with old stock? Maybe offer a discount on a new pair of something else? Can anyone tell me who I should contact at AT about it?

Oct 5, 2013 at 3:34 PM Post #1,440 of 1,585

Does anyone think contacting AT about the CK10s would get me anywhere? Think they'd offer to replace them with old stock? Maybe offer a discount on a new pair of something else? Can anyone tell me who I should contact at AT about it?

I think it depends on where you originally purchased the headphone. But from my experience, they're willing to help. Maybe because it is a Japanese store and they have insanely great customer service. I got my pair back on Oct 2012 and I think they still have some left in stock. Here is my story..

.... I traveled to Japan and bought the CK10 from a store. Then I'm back at my home country and few months later the driver broke. Fortunately, I know a fellow head-fier who lives in Japan and I shipped my CK10 to him, asking him to get a replacement pair from the physical store I bought. 

At first I contacted A-T South East Asia (where I live). They told me it was discontinued and the only place on earth you can get the service is in Japan. Luckily I bought my pair from a store there and they replaced mine. My friend just walk into the store and handed my broken pair to them, then they sent to AT-Japan and back, so the refurb was from AT themselves not from the store's stock. You could try emailing your local AT and also AT-Japan. Here are their emails, good luck :) http://www.at-globalsupport.com/

Btw, please let us know more about how's the CK100PRO. There's not enough review of them and no one really tells exactly how they sound, especially in comparative scale to other headphones. Hope you could give your thoughts and review them for us, Cheers! 
beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back