Audio Technica ATH-CK10
Dec 28, 2012 at 12:28 AM Post #1,400 of 1,585
Jan 6, 2013 at 12:03 PM Post #1,402 of 1,585
As my quest for finding CK10 substitution continues..
Now I've demo-ed the Heir 4.Ai briefly, unamped, directly out-of-phone. And I came out surprisingly disappointed.
To my ears, the 4.AI's were little warmer, more bass, but with the kinda splashy highs which not match the other parts of spectrum as the rest were rather warm.
Simply put, they don't sound as balanced-out as the CK10's.
Moreover, I think I could hear the driver phase really well with these.

Don't get me wrong, the Heir 4.Ai is great for what it is, but it's simply not what I'm looking for.

If being an IEM is not a requirement of my CK10 substitution, I'd choose K550 or AD900.
As far as my findings go, SQ-wise, those 'phones have the closest sound resemble of the CK10 despite being another kind of headphones.
...Or maybe I'm just being too addicted to A-T's house sound :\

Jan 6, 2013 at 11:36 PM Post #1,403 of 1,585
tzar 350 (or whatever it is) from heir is pretty close to the ck10 sound sig apparently.  i was a little off with the 4ai recommendation.  haha.  i read a (fair) bit more about it and came to the realization that they were warm sounding.

Jan 12, 2013 at 7:19 PM Post #1,404 of 1,585
Quote:
So.. now I got to baby my CK10 like crazy since they're fantastic I just wanna keep them forever :\
Maybe I should just shelf them, keep them as they are and move on.

Now, which one of these would you choose to substitute the CK10?
  1. ATH-CK100PRO
  2. PFE 232
  3. j-phonic K2 SP
  4. UE900
  5. Heir 4.A (also Ai)
  6. JH5 
  7. Or any other ideas?

Tzar 350

Tzar 90

Noble Audio Stay updated on Noble Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/NobleAudio https://www.twitter.com/noblebywizard https://www.instagram.com/nobleaudio https://nobleaudio.com/en/ contact@nobleaudio.com
Jan 24, 2013 at 4:22 PM Post #1,405 of 1,585
Check out my CK10, specially modded with an L-shaped jack kindly provided by Dennis over at EACE

I bought this second hand pair 4 months ago after being intrigued by AudioDwebe and lJokerl's reviews and I'm glad I did so thanks guys!. The clarity and detail from these tiny things is simply amazing. The only drawback is that the bass is much too weak for my liking but I compensate by bumping 3 notches on the Sony bass boost. I wont bang on about the SQ as more than enough has been said on this post already, I'll just say that these gems have breathed new life into the space between my ears. Suffice to say that I want to be enjoying them for years to come.

Sadly I broke the unit in the picture above after falling asleep with them in and pulling on the cable at one of the earpieces - pretty heartbreaking considering the time I went through to have them modded. In a mammoth effort to source a back-up I had originally contacted all the Japanese dealers that have advertised through Amazon and other online stores but they all confirmed that they no longer have them in stock and are currently unable source new units. After a few weeks of fruitless emailing, I finally discovered 3 brand new units, sold by a licensed Audio Technia distributor in Europe - Lorenzia at Audio Technica Europe was kind enough to check all the distributors for me. To her knowledge, these are the last units available in Europe.
I will obviously be keeping one of them and possibly two if I can't get my original pair fixed properly.

They will cost me €238 each and I've to incur a €90 UPS shipping charge (sadly they will only ship UPS). Thus, if I sell one of them here, I will want to recoup my shipping charge so I'll sell it for €320 (this equals the current price quoted in Japan, even though they dont actually have any units to sell!). If my original pair are fixable then I'll sell two of the new ones and the cost will come down - maybe €290 each. Obviously they will be boxed and have receipts.

I'm just putting the feelers out on this right now. I should receive the new pairs within 7 days and have word on my broken set in 10 days. So in 10 days I will know how many I want to sell and at what price.

Jan 26, 2013 at 1:58 AM Post #1,407 of 1,585
Quote:
The only drawback is that the bass is much too weak for my liking but I compensate by bumping 3 notches on the Sony bass boost.

They have good punchy bass if you have a good seal, I like the Sony Hybrid tips.

Jan 26, 2013 at 8:37 AM Post #1,409 of 1,585
Jan 26, 2013 at 11:20 AM Post #1,410 of 1,585
Quote:

They have good punchy bass if you have a good seal, I like the Sony Hybrid tips.

I use trimmed Shure tri-flanges as recommended earlier in this post. They insert very deep, give great isolation and provide punchy bass, which is still a little thin for my liking. I really need the Sony Clear bass to compensate here. Otherwise, these headphones are amazing.

Many times during work I will catch myself singing out loud or furiously toe tapping along to a song - as mentioned by Audiodwebe at the beginning of this post, the music can reach out and pull you in with these phones. I've had another IEM that came close - Sleek Audio's SA6. With the SA6 I'd have times where the music would sound so perfect that I'd burst into an uncontrollable smile, no matter where I happened to be. With the CK10s this is more intense - the music will have sucked me in long before I'm even aware of it, which can be a little embarrassing if you burst into song in the middle of your job! I feel like I'm being introduced to my music collection all over again with these beauties and cannot wait to get my hands on a fresh pair.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back