Audio Technica ATH-CK10
Sep 26, 2012 at 12:49 PM Post #1,366 of 1,585
If anyone wants to buy, I have a pair of very well maintained CK10 up for sale in the classifieds forum - see my signature for the link.

Sep 26, 2012 at 12:50 PM Post #1,367 of 1,585
Quote:
OMG ear addiction. Guys, I just withdraw 2 month allowances to buy the ATH-CK10 (I should probably stay away from head-fi if I don't want to starve to death). I just spent the entire day through 91 pages of this thread rather on my upcoming Math and Physics tests xD . I can't wait for it to come home. I owned the RE0 for more than 2 years now. They serve me well, although they occasionally broke down (the housing splitted into 2) so I had to use super glue to glue them back together.

I was initially going with the RE262, first of all is because I like the sound signature of the RE0, second is the price tag. But given much thought and research on the build quality of Hifiman products I was reluctant. Upon reading Joker's multi IEM review and AudioDwebe's review of the CK10, I was sold. I spent quite sometimes debating whether I should get IEMs or headphones. My options were the B&W P5, Ortofon e-q5, RE 262, Vsonic GR07, ACS T15. However I chose the ATH-CK10 over all of the above options is because of the overal improved sound signature compare to those of RE0, the solid build and the durability (some people have been using them for 2 years, 4 years if my math are correct) , the comforts (to me comforts is very important, I often wear IEMs for a long time, usually through a 16hours flight back to Vietnam, waiting for classes. The RE0 gave me a little bit of unpleasant listening hours if I wear them for too long) ,the looks (just look at them :D ).

Now all I do is to eat instant noodles for 2 months while listening to them CK10s :)

They are definitely worth having to eat instant noodles for 2 months.

Sep 27, 2012 at 5:04 PM Post #1,368 of 1,585
Haha thanks guys I'm going to live through this with CK10s :) .

One quick question though. I'm a college student and I bring my ipod with IEMs along with me alot. What is the best way to maintain the CK10? By maintain I mean how do I "roll up" the IEMs after I'm done, do I just wrap them around the ipod and tuck them both in my pocket? How do u guys do it?

Sep 27, 2012 at 5:38 PM Post #1,369 of 1,585
They'll last much longer if you put them in a separate case, like the one that it came with.

Sep 27, 2012 at 7:26 PM Post #1,371 of 1,585
I just wind the cord around a couple of fingers and put them in.
The point is not to strain the cord by winding it around your iPod, while they bang up against it in your pocket
ph34r.gif

Sep 28, 2012 at 11:43 AM Post #1,372 of 1,585
I don't much care for the case they come with.  They're nice, but I prefer an Altoids can for all my IEM's.  I always have and probably always will.

I generally have three or four different IEM's with me in my backpack/messenger bag/whathaveyou, and they fit better due to their uniformity.  Takes up too much space when you mix all the various manufacturer's carrying cases.

But that's just me. 

Sep 28, 2012 at 6:27 PM Post #1,374 of 1,585
I took a picture with my phone and tried to post, but couldn't figure out how.  Oh, well...

But, yeah, it's pretty simple, really.  I (along with a bunch of other people, I think) discard (or eat) the mints, wash out the tin can, maybe line it with some tissue or something, and put the IEM's into them. 

I have different flavors of Altoids for the various IEM's, thinking I'd remember which can had which IEM.  That didn't work so I just put a little label on the cans.

Make sure you wash it out though, if you go this route, as you don't want anything getting into them.

I share in your excitement.  Please do let us know what you think of them.

Cheers.

Sep 28, 2012 at 7:51 PM Post #1,375 of 1,585
Quote:
I don't much care for the case they come with.  They're nice, but I prefer an Altoids can for all my IEM's.  I always have and probably always will.

I generally have three or four different IEM's with me in my backpack/messenger bag/whathaveyou, and they fit better due to their uniformity.  Takes up too much space when you mix all the various manufacturer's carrying cases.

But that's just me. 

Yeah me neither. My preferred case for the CK10s is a discontinued case logic SD card case, it's much more low profile/streamlined. They don't offer anything that small anymore unfortunately, the replacement is about 40% larger.

But my point was to use a case, any case, rather than jam the CK10s into one's pocket with the cord wrapped around one's DAP.

Sep 28, 2012 at 9:37 PM Post #1,377 of 1,585
I Just got them guys. I feel so honored and proud to be an owner of the CK10s :) . So far so good, give me sometimes to listen to them, going back and fourth between the CK10s and RE0s to see what the difference. They are definitely worth upgrading from the RE0s.

I just want to ask how is the isolation for you guys? I read Joker's review and he said the isolation is very much excellence. I have my ipod video at volume 40%, currently using the smallest buds, listening to "Secrets" by One Republic and I can just barely hear my flickering fingers about 2cm away from my ear. 

PS: Bass is not lacking, to my ears the bass is very well presented.

Sep 30, 2012 at 3:53 PM Post #1,378 of 1,585
Hey Sherlockaled, welcome to the CK10 club :)
I'm a college student and came from the RE0 like you, now I even got my RE0 with modified cables and Viablue plug but it simply quite not up to the level of CK10.
Btw, the faceplate is really prone to scratches though. And it also capable of scratching other gadgets in your pocket too if you're not using a case :)

---------------------------------------------------

Now, about my very own CK10.. it broke 
triportsad.gif

I guess that's rarely happen, since most of us in this thread still rocking a pair of these for few years now without any problems at all.
Mine just went through months and somehow a driver cracked. It just my bad luck, I think lol
I bought it while I was in Japan and now I got a little help from one fellow head-fier who lives there to help me out about a replacement pair.
I felt like I'm dying without them :frowning2: There's nothing sounds quite like CK10 even with the same TWFK driver.
Although I have some decent collection of headphones and IEMs, the CK10 one of the best I have so far. Can't wait to get them back :D

Oct 10, 2012 at 4:34 AM Post #1,380 of 1,585
Now I got my CK10 back :)
A-T gave me a replacement pair (or a refurbished pair, idk).. But this thing looks so new, fresh, and shiny like it just came out off the line which should be "discontinued" for few years now... hmmm
Even the seams on the cable look like they were freshly made.
Moreover, the paint on the faceplate is much less prone to scratch compared to my original pair.
Overall, if my memory is correct, this thing looks even better than my original, out-of-the-box pair I bought from the store in Japan few months ago lol.
Maybe I'm totally wrong, maybe they've stock-piled these. But I really think they're still producing these 'phones. Especially they're still all over Japan.

Btw, my replacement pair came in a little cardboard box. And A-T is also kind enough to give me a little handy guide on "how not to screw up the cable" lol.
(But in this case the driver screwed itself up :/ )

I hope that you guys will never have to encounter any issue with CK10's because this thing is quite rare and hard-to-service nowadays.

Cheers 

I'm just being too lazy to grab my dslr out so I took these pics with my phone. Sorry about the quality :frowning2:
FYI: "ご使用上のお願い"poorly translated by google as "A note on using"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back