Audio Technica ATH-CK10
Jun 10, 2012 at 8:06 AM Post #1,351 of 1,585
Quote:
Still rocking the CK10 after 4 years. Still overall my favourite earphones, though I'll admit that soundwise, I'm sort of swayed by the Ortofon eQ5 and Grado GR8 now. But, as an entire package, I still cannot recommend the CK10 enough. And I got them back when the Japanese yen was cheap, so they cost me something like 160$! I've stepped on them with shoes on and they're still alive, popped off the titanium shell to check how they're connected, never use a case and still they keep going. Best earphones at any price for cost/performance users and still in the top three of my favourite sounding earphones of all time.

lucky to get them for such a price! its double that here. sniff.

Jun 11, 2012 at 4:23 PM Post #1,352 of 1,585
Are there any users here in Japan that can pick these up for less than it'd cost us to buy it somewhere online?

Jul 24, 2012 at 12:29 AM Post #1,354 of 1,585
I just got my CK10's tonight and they are just phenomenal! First I tried the medium and then small stock tips. I had to jam the things so far in my ears it was quite uncomfortable and I was thinking "these sound pretty good but I can't deal with the pain." Then I put the large silicones on...I don't have to stick the IEM half-way in my skull and they just sound so damn ******* good! I'm a happy camper right now with these. I have some Sony hybrids coming an d will experiment further with tips but as I sit here listening, un-amped through my macbook pro, a lossless playback of Are You Shpongled? I can say with near surety that music can't sound much better through headphones. Diminishing returns from here on out. For those considering them and you hear the talk of thin bass I can't understand what people are talking about. The bass is perfect, there's gobs of bass. Thanks

Jul 24, 2012 at 8:09 PM Post #1,355 of 1,585
When the sound signature of these IEMs are for you, it's rather difficult to fault any aspect of the CK-10's.  I've bought/sold/bought/sold many different cans and IEMs over the course of the last six years but these have remained with me as a constant. 

Occasionally, I'll veer away from them for some time seeking other sounds but I always tend to come back to them at some point.  And each time I come back home, it's like, "Man, what was I thinking?" 

Glad to hear you're enjoying these wonderful little gems. 

Jul 26, 2012 at 1:46 AM Post #1,356 of 1,585
When the sound signature of these IEMs are for you, it's rather difficult to fault any aspect of the CK-10's.  I've bought/sold/bought/sold many different cans and IEMs over the course of the last six years but these have remained with me as a constant. 

Occasionally, I'll veer away from them for some time seeking other sounds but I always tend to come back to them at some point.  And each time I come back home, it's like, "Man, what was I thinking?" 

Glad to hear you're enjoying these wonderful little gems. 

Thanks. Yep I'll think I'll be keeping them.

Aug 3, 2012 at 11:38 PM Post #1,357 of 1,585
Is there any chance that a vendor will be selling these new for under 333$ in the future or is the price only going to go up? The cheapest I can find when considering the shipping costs is 317$ from a brand new seller on Amazon,  the next one up is 333$. It seems pretty high compared to what they used to cost so I'm wondering if these high prices are just a temporary phase.

Aug 4, 2012 at 1:59 AM Post #1,358 of 1,585
Is there any chance that a vendor will be selling these new for under 333$ in the future or is the price only going to go up? The cheapest I can find when considering the shipping costs is 317$ from a brand new seller on Amazon,  the next one up is 333$. It seems pretty high compared to what they used to cost so I'm wondering if these high prices are just a temporary phase.

http://www.audio-technica.co.jp/atj/products/hp/ath-ck10.html

The ATH-CK10's have already been discontinued by Audio-technica for sometime now, since February of this year as a matter of fact. Lowest pricing so far via a quick check online reveals to me that Bluetin.com might be the cheapest so far, and according to my personal observations so far this model isn't listed for retail on popular japanese international web-stores like Seyo-shop.com or PriceJapan.com anymore, so I can only imagine the stocks are really running low in JP right. (many months ago the CK10 wasn't available on well-known japanese sites like Amazon.co.jp or Fujiya-Avic/E-earphones already, so it's only a given that prices have since gone up everywhere else that are not operating directly from Japan, referring to the english stores you had mentioned previously in yr original post)

If you are able to raise your budget and have always liked the CK9/CK10 sound signature, I would however highly recommend you to take a look at the latest ATH-CK100PRO which I have already written quite a detailed review comparison, against my other ATH-CK series models I have in my current possession at the moment. There may not be alot of CK100PRO users around here on Head-fi due to it's relatively high price (but still around the similar price range as with most well-known top tier universal flagships) and lack of availability over in the US or Europe so you will have to rely on importing, but I can re-assure you according to my local discussions going in my one of my local forums (i'm from Singapore btw), alot of other forummers who have heard the CK100PRO tend to agree with my impressions, and if you are into a very detailed and balanced-sounding IEM like the CK10's, then the CK100PRO will likely appeal to you. (The CK100PRO has more similarities in terms of signature together with the CK10 dual-BA, not the CK100 older triple-driver BA, so if you have heard the CK10 for yourself before you will probably like it)

Hope the above helps. :)

Aug 4, 2012 at 4:42 AM Post #1,359 of 1,585
Yes that helps a lot, thanks! I think I will have to settle for something else, Bluetin has them on backorder so chances are they might never get them, the CK100PROs seem nice but it's almost 200$ over what I would like to pay unfortunately.

Aug 26, 2012 at 4:27 AM Post #1,361 of 1,585
I almost made up my mind to get the Sr325is and then the thought of getting a CK10 instead entered my head.

Mainly I'll be using it in my office and during travel as I hardly get the time to listen to music otherwise. Currently I have a Panasonic HJE-900 and well I love the clarity but I need something that has a brighter sound. So are the CK10's comparable to the 325is in terms of the 'fun-factor'? Or should I just stick with the Pana's and get the SR325is?

I mainly listen to Classic Rock and Metal.

Aug 26, 2012 at 5:21 PM Post #1,362 of 1,585
The highs with the CK10 are just as good as the 325i, but not as sharp. The bass is much better with the CK10. I sold my 325i but still enjoy the CK10.

Sep 9, 2012 at 4:08 PM Post #1,363 of 1,585
DAMMIT!!! I was going to wait until I hit an important deadline at work so that I could treat myself to these babies but all this talk of stock shortage and discontinued production has forced my hand (not reluctantly I must say!). I've got on to Bluetin to enquire about the 'back ordering' issue. Also, they seem to be up for shipping as a gift so that I'l get around EU tax. I'll re-post when I confirm a shipping date and the total cost but the cost on site without shipping is €240.55 - quite a saving on the cheapest appropriately-rated Amazon seller (€334 minus tax and even this seller only has 10 feedback ratings).

If I do get then then maybe I could leave them in the package and not open them until I hit the deadline? Would this be the ultimate test of self control?

Sep 25, 2012 at 11:32 PM Post #1,364 of 1,585
OMG ear addiction. Guys, I just withdraw 2 month allowances to buy the ATH-CK10 (I should probably stay away from head-fi if I don't want to starve to death). I just spent the entire day through 91 pages of this thread rather on my upcoming Math and Physics tests xD . I can't wait for it to come home. I owned the RE0 for more than 2 years now. They serve me well, although they occasionally broke down (the housing splitted into 2) so I had to use super glue to glue them back together.

I was initially going with the RE262, first of all is because I like the sound signature of the RE0, second is the price tag. But given much thought and research on the build quality of Hifiman products I was reluctant. Upon reading Joker's multi IEM review and AudioDwebe's review of the CK10, I was sold. I spent quite sometimes debating whether I should get IEMs or headphones. My options were the B&W P5, Ortofon e-q5, RE 262, Vsonic GR07, ACS T15. However I chose the ATH-CK10 over all of the above options is because of the overal improved sound signature compare to those of RE0, the solid build and the durability (some people have been using them for 2 years, 4 years if my math are correct) , the comforts (to me comforts is very important, I often wear IEMs for a long time, usually through a 16hours flight back to Vietnam, waiting for classes. The RE0 gave me a little bit of unpleasant listening hours if I wear them for too long) ,the looks (just look at them :D ).

Now all I do is to eat instant noodles for 2 months while listening to them CK10s :)

Sep 26, 2012 at 12:04 PM Post #1,365 of 1,585
Ramen is good for you, as long as you don't eat the noodles or the soup base. 
wink_face.gif

Hopefully, you'll enjoy them when they arrive.

On a different note:  Does anyone know where I can get a cable like the one used on the CK10's?  I need to add about four inches (don't we all) of length to the cable.  Since these have been my favorite IEM's and I pretty much despise the straight plug, I reterminated it with a right-angled one.  Then I bought the balanced RSA amp which meant another retermination.  I then sold the RSA amp, resulting in another need for a retermination. 

Now, when I listen to music and put my iPod into my pant pocket, there's this aggravating downward pull on the ears, and I can't carry the iPod in my hands and walk about as that also causes the tugging.  

I've gone through periods of time where I didn't put the 10's into my ears simply because of this annoyance.  The only way I can listen is when I put the iPod into my shirt pocket, but this weight gets to be a bit much after a while.

I've thought about having these turned into CIEM's through 1964 Ears.  But I sort of hate the idea of spending almost $300 (impressions, conversion, cable) to essentially get the same sound.  I've thought about taking the IEM's apart and putting on the Westone cable.  But then I looked at the IEM enclosure and decided the idea wasn't one of my better ones.  I also toyed with the idea of selling mine and picking up another one. 

But in the end, I think I've settled on splicing additional cabling onto the end.  I would love to be able get the same cable to keep the consistency, but am guessing I may have to go with another brand.

Any suggestions on where I might find suitable cable?

Thanks.

'Dwebe   

Users who are viewing this thread

Back