Audio Technica ATH-CK10
Jul 16, 2011 at 11:40 AM Post #1,262 of 1,585
Dear Head-fiers,
I purchased ATH-ck10 about 2 months ago and have been extremely happy about it. I've been using the smallest Sony Hybrids for tips. However, lately they have been coming off the phone when I am trying to get ck10's out of my ear. In fact, there was one incident where the tip got stuck! Thanks to tweezers nearby, I didn't have to go to a doctor. Anyways, is this normal? Does this mean I should be changing my tips or do you think I am not taking the phones out correctly?

Jul 16, 2011 at 12:55 PM Post #1,263 of 1,585
Happened to me at the very beginning.

I switched to a bigger size, now I don't plug them as deep and bass is definitely more satisfying, without sacrificing the isolation.

You should try, I would not be surprised that you just plug them too deeply.

For the question to taking them out, I asked the very same question too. But since I don't plug them that deep I easily take them out by making them "rolling out" from my ears, pushing upward.

Jul 16, 2011 at 1:57 PM Post #1,264 of 1,585
Hi,
I'm about to receive my brand new ath-ck10s, and I'm so excited!
I'm here to ask you guys  about the best matching DAP among the ones I own (assuming no amp for better portability):
RoCoo A
Clip+
Ipod Touch 2G
S:Flo2
I understand it's all about synergy and what I need is a warm-ish source, isn't it ?
I've found out  I'm quite a bit treble sensitive and coupling a bright source such as RoCoo A with bright phones like RE0s and MSi-1 becomes quickly fatiguing. So which one should I use?
Thanks in advance!

Jul 16, 2011 at 3:08 PM Post #1,265 of 1,585
^If you are treble sensitive, the tip you use with the CK10 is gonna be more important than the source. CK10s are quite tip dependent and I would use a foam tip, Olives or Comply, which really absorbs quite a bit of the treble sparkle making the ck10s more listenable if you find it too bright. 

Jul 16, 2011 at 6:43 PM Post #1,266 of 1,585

Thanks for the reply.
I already have some foams tips that I bought for the RE0s, but from what I've read in this thread, Comply T-400 won't fit, and Olives are too loose unless you succeed in a extremely clean de-coring. I'd rather stick to the as intended sound if I can... I'll start with Sony hybrids and see how it goes.

Anyway, which DAP goes along with the CK10s?

As a matter of fact, I'm just borderline treble sensitive, for I felt the urge to buy  some aluminium-modded Alessandro MS1000s (the ones Jaben sold) and locked myself into a tourture chamber
basshead.gif
consisting of random metallic-flavoured spike lashes*- and now I'm worried about the fact the CK10s might be so much brighter than my RE0s (whose tremble I find smooth,  even untamed) , reliving the same unpleasant experience.

*=and spine-crushing weight, and itching Jumbo Pads!

^If you are treble sensitive, the tip you use with the CK10 is gonna be more important than the source. CK10s are quite tip dependent and I would use a foam tip, Olives or Comply, which really absorbs quite a bit of the treble sparkle making the ck10s more listenable if you find it too bright. 

Jul 19, 2011 at 5:36 AM Post #1,267 of 1,585
Jul 19, 2011 at 7:42 AM Post #1,268 of 1,585

Quote:
Honestly, I found the included audio technica tips for the ck10 the best (size M), Shure Olive and Sony Hybrids were pretty good too, but I always went back to the standard tip.  I was always curious about the CK100 tips though, they look nice, but I never ended up buying them, perhaps they're like a decored Shure Olive with a perfect fit?

This is my review of the ck10 http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/558427/kiteki-review-audio-technica-ath-ck10-the-calvin-klein-of-iem-s

Me too!
biggrin.gif
I've always had no issues with the stock tips (usually the mediums) being the best fit and sounding for me with all IEMs I own. Except for the Turbine Coppers...still cant find quite the right one for it from the included tips and supertips. Sigh...

Jul 19, 2011 at 1:06 PM Post #1,269 of 1,585

Quote:
Honestly, I found the included audio technica tips for the ck10 the best (size M), Shure Olive and Sony Hybrids were pretty good too, but I always went back to the standard tip.

Yeah, stock tips are really good, it's just a matter of preference. If I wasn't already in possession of unused hybrids I would probably still be using the stock tips.

Jul 20, 2011 at 7:30 AM Post #1,270 of 1,585
I for one have found optimal seal with medium hybrids, deep in my ear canal. Problem is, removing the phones required much greater care than expected, lest you have to dig out the tips with tweezers.
Is it because the fit with hybrids isn't as tight as it looks?

Quote:

Yeah, stock tips are really good, it's just a matter of preference. If I wasn't already in possession of unused hybrids I would probably still be using the stock tips.

Jul 20, 2011 at 7:52 AM Post #1,271 of 1,585
Decored Shure Olive tips got stuck in my ear once too, but I could pull them out with my fingernails.

Actually, the decored Shure Olive tips are pretty loose on my EX700 as well, but I can live with it.  Looking forward to a proper Shure Olive fit on the Ety ER-4, though.

Jul 20, 2011 at 11:35 PM Post #1,274 of 1,585

Quote:
Hmm I tried comply's once, can't remember exactly but they tamed part of the sound of the ck10, I guess it comes down to taste.

Yup, I agree with that. Its all definitely all about preferences. The complys really tamed it too much for me. The stock tips worked best for me and i love the sound, despite its obvious treble emphasis. But i can see how another person would prefer those tamed highs and find the complys a right fit for the CK10.

Aug 4, 2011 at 12:48 AM Post #1,275 of 1,585
I am jealous of you guys.  I could *never* get a seal with my CK10s. I tried the stock tips, Sony hybrids and two different models of Complys. Just coudn't get any bass to come through, get them far enough in my ears, etc. I'm probably going to get rid of them since I picked up some 1964Qs and like the fit on my X10i...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back