Audio Technica ATH-CK10
Mar 1, 2011 at 10:37 AM Post #1,081 of 1,585
I already own CK100, and love'em. Decided to get another IEM since HJE900 is not really satisfying my needs for portable rig so I've decided to get a new IEM. Guess what I just ordered? That's right, ck10! :D

Mar 1, 2011 at 11:21 AM Post #1,082 of 1,585
Wow CK10 club membership is really jumping up, good to "see" so many new faces. The CK10's really are one of those products I plan to hold onto forever. :D

Mar 1, 2011 at 11:46 AM Post #1,083 of 1,585

Wow CK10 club membership is really jumping up, good to "see" so many new faces. The CK10's really are one of those products I plan to hold onto forever. :D
Agreed. They truly are remarkable little IEMs. If the sonics they deliver is in liking with your own sense of what's correct in sound reproduction, I'm not entirely sure they can be beat. To me, they're THAT good. I've often considered going the custom route, but have been hesitant for the fear of feeling the move would be a lateral one more than an actual "upgrade". I, too, am glad to see others enjoying this little gem. Cheers.

Mar 1, 2011 at 11:55 AM Post #1,084 of 1,585
It depends really. I consider the customs that I do have an upgrade but not quite the same as the CK10. It's a slightly different sound signature as neither can be considered an analytical iem like the CK10 can be. I do consider them an upgrade but not in every single which way so they don't demolish the CK10 but overall I consider them better.

Mar 1, 2011 at 1:30 PM Post #1,085 of 1,585
Hey rawster,

The reason I'm a bit reluctant is that, besides the cost and the potential for a refit (or two), I find the CK10's to be a perfect IEM for my personal tastes.  And therein lies the reason I asked a while back if anyone has gone from an IEM they truly loved to a custom to get a sense of what/how a custom improved their listening experience.

From what I gather, most head-fi'ers go the custom route due to something in the universal IEMs they've had that they either don't like, or want to improve upon.  I can't really think of anything I'd change with the CK10's.  Occasionally, they'll appear a tad bass-lite.  But that seems to be recording dependant, as most other recordings are rendered perfectly in the nether regions for my tastes.

Some day I might go the custom route, as I'll never really know until I try it.  So far, though, I've been able to hold off on that temptation. 

Cheers. 

Mar 1, 2011 at 1:44 PM Post #1,086 of 1,585
I like the CK10 which is why I currently own them after selling them off around a year ago. The CK10 with a tad more bass is pretty much what I wanted and possibly a not as obvious spike in the treble like the CK10 has. Both my customs do that although slighty different signatures. Customs aren't that expensive so not too big a risk imo as long as you do your research on them :veryevil:

Mar 1, 2011 at 2:01 PM Post #1,087 of 1,585
I already own CK100, and love'em. Decided to get another IEM since HJE900 is not really satisfying my needs for portable rig so I've decided to get a new IEM. Guess what I just ordered? That's right, ck10! :D

welcome, we look forward to your comparisons between the CK100 and CK10 once you receive them. I know a couple of people have done so, but I wouldn't mind to see the impressions of another member in the mix.

@esanthosh
in that case, you're welcome too :D I look forward to your impressions and comparisons with Ortofon e-q5.

@discussion: I read your review rawster, and it's quite unbelievable that your customs cost just $350. I started reading about customs with UE11 and it always appeared that good triple driver customs are almost always close to $1,000. It's nice to see some alternate companies are bringing customs down to a more affordable price bracket.

I think for now I am VERY satisfied with the CK10 and won't be dropping money on any kind of existing universals anytime soon. I think customs might be the only upgrade path I would like to take a few months down the line.

Mar 1, 2011 at 4:47 PM Post #1,088 of 1,585
Hey, I'm sure this question is buried somewhere in this thread and I will search for it after I post this (lol backwards), but I was curious.. does anyone have a warm amp coupled with the CK10s in their portable setup that makes a worthwhile difference (preferably sub-$200)? I am traveling overseas for a few months this summer and think my CK10s will be what I take, but I want to see if I could improve them in any way that may be cost effective and worth while in that sense.

Better question, has anyone had the chance to A/B portable amps with the CK10? My portable source is my trusty D2+, btw, in case anyone may have this exact setup
wink.gif
I've been eyeing a Hornet, but it is a little above what I would like to spend for portable.

Mar 1, 2011 at 5:27 PM Post #1,090 of 1,585
the Fiio e7, while warming up the sound a tad, made the sound too distant for my liking, so i ended up returning it.  if i do go customs one day, i would go for UM's Mage or Miracle.  they seem to have the sound sig closest to the CK10s.

Mar 1, 2011 at 5:37 PM Post #1,091 of 1,585
Thanks for your input, germanturkey. Worst case I'll use my Cowon's EQ, but was just curious if someone found a great combo
biggrin.gif

Mar 1, 2011 at 6:08 PM Post #1,092 of 1,585

Quote:

CK100 and CK10 sound very different. I think both are great and have great build quality but sound different. I had them both at the same time when I did the review of the CK10 and I liked the CK100 better.

@kingpintps: I believe the price of them is going up but the price of customs has gone down considerably since I started this hobby and that's a good thing. Customs are a completely different story since resale value is much lower and you have to buy with faith since for the most part you can't demo them outside of certain circumstances (meets, audiologist has them, certain stores, etc) and I have two customs of which both of them were not available for demo before. Also I will be doing something with UM which I do not have a demo so it definitely is a big leap of faith but if you choose correctly you may be rewarded. I'm pretty satisfied with them in saying that I won't go back to universals as a main pair of earphones but who knows..with no one interested int he CK10 yet I may very well change my mind and keep them.

Mar 1, 2011 at 9:15 PM Post #1,093 of 1,585

Quote:
I think for now I am VERY satisfied with the CK10 and won't be dropping money on any kind of existing universals anytime soon. I think customs might be the only upgrade path I would like to take a few months down the line.

I wish that decision was as easy for me. I am a very satisfied collector of different signatures, so I am better off staying outside the customs. I can extrapolate my experience with various tiers of universals and imagine what a custom could bring to the table. I am not worried about the cost factor at all. But thinking about the other hassles - time involved,  re-sale value, re-fit issues (singh recently had to send back his UM Miracle) and worse off all, I could end up buying 2-3 customs because I can never make a commitment to staying with one signature for the rest of my life. I'd rather wait for things to get better in India (which would be a long wait, but you never know) or I move to US for a short while.

Mar 2, 2011 at 2:29 AM Post #1,094 of 1,585

Quote:
Originally Posted by rawrster /img/forum/go_quote.gif

CK100 and CK10 sound very different. I think both are great and have great build quality but sound different. I had them both at the same time when I did the review of the CK10 and I liked the CK100 better.

@kingpintps: I believe the price of them is going up but the price of customs has gone down considerably since I started this hobby and that's a good thing. Customs are a completely different story since resale value is much lower and you have to buy with faith since for the most part you can't demo them outside of certain circumstances (meets, audiologist has them, certain stores, etc) and I have two customs of which both of them were not available for demo before. Also I will be doing something with UM which I do not have a demo so it definitely is a big leap of faith but if you choose correctly you may be rewarded. I'm pretty satisfied with them in saying that I won't go back to universals as a main pair of earphones but who knows..with no one interested int he CK10 yet I may very well change my mind and keep them.

I did read your comparison with the CK100 but there was one area of concern when dropping almosr $450 on a Universal. I think a few people have also commented that CK100 is very polarising and people either love it or hate it (for that price). I'm not too sure I'm ready to risk that for now..so CK10 was a more safe and obvious alternate bet. Fortunately, no regrets till now 
bigsmile_face.gif

Following quoted from your review:

Quote:
Midrange: The first reaction is that these are forward and I mean reallly really forward and much more so than any other phone I have used before. It is fairly smooth but still very forward. I suspect you will ever love it or hate it.

That's a good point - regarding the re-sale and that is why they definitely come into the category of the long term purchase and I really want to be sure that I will like the sound signature and the build quality would be up to scratch before dropping the kind of money that UE and JH ask for their customs. 

Quote:
I wish that decision was as easy for me. I am a very satisfied collector of different signatures, so I am better off staying outside the customs. I can extrapolate my experience with various tiers of universals and imagine what a custom could bring to the table. I am not worried about the cost factor at all. But thinking about the other hassles - time involved,  re-sale value, re-fit issues (singh recently had to send back his UM Miracle) and worse off all, I could end up buying 2-3 customs because I can never make a commitment to staying with one signature for the rest of my life. I'd rather wait for things to get better in India (which would be a long wait, but you never know) or I move to US for a short while.  

Yeah, availability in India is a big problem for now. I think I'm quite happy with CK10 for now, but eventually when I feel the need to upgrade, customs would be the only step up for me. Right now it's difficult to see beyond UM due to availability. Having that one perfect pair is a real buzz for me, rather than having 5 universals which carry varying sound signatures. I guess I'm more open to commitment that you are :p Having 2-3 customs would not be the worst thing in the world, but yes, spending that kind of money to get there and not being satisfied with a single pair would be.

If you do move to US, do not forget some of your friends on the forum. :D I'll send you a whole list and cash to get me loads of stuff :p

Mar 2, 2011 at 8:56 AM Post #1,095 of 1,585

Quote:

I think I am going to TONS of fun when CK10 comes in. I just can't wait until I plug CK10 and enjoy the gradual burn-in. I know I loved the burn-in for CK100, at first it was so cold, now it's just so neutral and easy on my ears. I usually have headache from listening music for hours  but no... :D. I heard that CK10 is warmer than CK100 , that's fine too :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back