Audio Technica ATH-CK10
Apr 9, 2010 at 10:14 PM Post #706 of 1,585
@rawrster, im glad you like the monster tips on the ck10, there my favorate tips at the moment, how dose the ck10 sound with them on? i might just get a set of ck10s and try them for myself if there is no sibilance and they have a resonable bass response.

Apr 9, 2010 at 10:39 PM Post #707 of 1,585
@lucozade: The MC triple flange is so much better than the Shure. They go a bit deeper, increase soundstage a little bit and is much more comfortable. Also it is much easier to put it on compared to before since the Shure tips are much more stiffer. Comfort wise it can't compare to the sony hybrids with them but the hybrids were pretty borderline sibilant to my ears.

The treble of the CK10 is the best I have heard so far. The bass response is probably the biggest complaint on these. These do go fairly low but what they lack is impact compared to something like your golds. Also they may be a bit low in volume compared to some of your iem's but that is easily fixed with EQ. They are definitely a good buy if you can enjoy their signature.

Apr 9, 2010 at 11:05 PM Post #708 of 1,585
@rawrster, i may well give them a try ,i nearly bought them a month ago,but than the monsters and ortos came along ,they dont have to have big bass impact like the golds as long as there not bass light like the se420s, if they sounded something like tf10 i would be quite happy with them ,as they look a much better shape and fit.

Apr 10, 2010 at 12:06 AM Post #709 of 1,585
I got no idea what the se420 sounds like. I would say its a bit less than the e-Q7 in terms of bass. Well they definitely don't sound like the TF10. The TF10 had too much warmth for me and the mids weren't very good. It had good treble however. The CK10 are quite different. They are much faster, better clarity and fit is easily better than TF10 (but then again what isn't?). The focus of the CK10 would probably be towards the upper mids and treble. The bass is tight, good extension and really fast.

It's too bad your not from NYC. Then it would be as easy to find out how they sound :p

Apr 10, 2010 at 1:17 PM Post #710 of 1,585
@ rawster, yes your right about the tf10 fit, i quite like there sound ,the only reasons i dont use them much is they border on being sibilant and the fit,they tend to keep slipping slightly out of my ears breaking the seal and therefore losing bass ,due to the lenght and weight that is sticking out of my ears.

So would you say the ck10 would give me a differrent experience from the other iems i own? sounds like they might .Some people on here say the treble is harsh sounding though ,is that so?

Apr 10, 2010 at 1:21 PM Post #711 of 1,585
It could be harsh yes. They are pretty good to my ears but some users have expressed that the treble was harsh (ie: midoo). They definitely should be very different than any of the iem's you have not counting the ones I haven't heard so the ones I've heard ard the golds, eq7,ie8,w3 and tf10. They are more of an analytical iem.

Apr 10, 2010 at 6:37 PM Post #712 of 1,585
Quote:

Originally Posted by lucozade /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So would you say the ck10 would give me a differrent experience from the other iems i own? sounds like they might .Some people on here say the treble is harsh sounding though ,is that so?

Looking at the phones that you have, the CK10 will give you a completely different experience. Treble is dependent on the person. You will probably wonder where the bass is on the CK10 compared to some of your other IEMs. Analytical sound that is also fun and engaging to my ears. IMO, something the RE0 and ER4P/S couldn't offer.

Check out mvw2's excellent review here: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f103/r...10-ok1-478784/

There is also a graph after the review. What I hear is not exactly the same as to how mvw2 hears, but it is close enough that I can sort of gauge where other IEMs are at.

Apr 10, 2010 at 6:46 PM Post #713 of 1,585
Quote:

Originally Posted by AwakenedBeing /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Looking at the phones that you have, the CK10 will give you a completely different experience. Treble is dependent on the person. You will probably wonder where the bass is on the CK10 compared to some of your other IEMs. Analytical sound that is also fun and engaging to my ears. IMO, something the RE0 and ER4P/S couldn't offer.

Check out mvw2's excellent review here: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f103/r...10-ok1-478784/

There is also a graph after the review. What I hear is not exactly the same as to how mvw2 hears, but it is close enough that I can sort of gauge where other IEMs are at.

@ awakenedbeing ,thanks for the advice , already read mmv2s review.
regular_smile .gif

Apr 10, 2010 at 7:21 PM Post #714 of 1,585
I think they will be different from what you own Lucozade,in fact their transparency and clarity are one of the most unique I have ever heard in iems or full size headphones.
You feel that there is nothing between you and the singer,it's very hard to describe but I think it's worth listening.
Most of your iems are bass heavy,so if you ever consider the ck10 and you think that the ie8/ie7 bass is optimum for you,then you will be dissapointed with it's bass in quantity but not quality.Also the main reason I sold them is because the treble which to my sensitive ears is harsh...very.

Apr 10, 2010 at 7:40 PM Post #715 of 1,585
Quote:

Originally Posted by midoo1990 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think they will be different from what you own Lucozade,in fact their transparency and clarity are one of the most unique I have ever heard in iems or full size headphones.
You feel that there is nothing between you and the singer,it's very hard to describe but I think it's worth listening.
Most of your iems are bass heavy,so if you ever consider the ck10 and you think that the ie8/ie7 bass is optimum for you,then you will be dissapointed with it's bass in quantity but not quality.Also the main reason I sold them is because the treble which to my sensitive ears is harsh...very.

I would have to disagree there. While the CK10s are not as colored as some other phones, I wouldn't call them as far as saying they are transparent. If you listen some balanced phones, you'll understand what transparent really means in personal audio system. When I listen to Mendelssohn string quartets, on ER-4Ss they sounded very much like the really violins as they do on K1000s. On CK10s, the strings sound hard and rigid as if the strings on the violins had just been replaced and not broken in. As I mentioned before a few threads back, the solo piano pieces really reveal how transparent and clear an audio system can be and CK10s just don't do good of a job as compared to other phones such as ER-4Ss and PFEs.

Apr 10, 2010 at 8:07 PM Post #716 of 1,585
I am not talking about strings,they sound blunt and unnatural to me on the ck10.I think we understand transparency differently that's not what I meant.I am not good at describing sound termenoligies but I will try.if you heard the k701 treble and the level of clearnace and transparency,you feel that there is nothing between you and the singer,sometimes you feel you are in the studio with him due to the high level of transparency.that's exactly what I felt with the ck10,there is no veil or anything that stands in the way like for example hd650.
Strings on the ck10 are far from good and I actually said that when I wrote my review on them.

Apr 10, 2010 at 8:45 PM Post #717 of 1,585
K701s do sound similar to CK10s so I can understand where you are coming from. String on K701s too sound somewhat plasticly and lifeless, but if you're strictly talking about vocals, CK10s do a really good job at creating an intimate environment where vocals don't sound congested nor distant. When I listened to Diana Krall last night, I was really impressed at how clear and intimate it was. So, yes, I do agree that the vocals are quite wonderful on CK10s, maybe more so than PFEs and ER-4Ss. What I'm really impressed on CK10s are the sheer details and soundstage and how it creates air around all the instruments. Up until now, I didn't realize how detailed Rage against the machine can be but, now, I can hear the echo of the kick drums, plucking of the bass guitar and undistorted cymbals so nice and clear.

Apr 10, 2010 at 9:02 PM Post #718 of 1,585
Wow,you exactly hear what I heard with the ck10 and k701.i definetly agree that instruments sound weird with the k701 along with it's unnatural soundstage with little depth and extremly wide.And yes the ck10 is very detailed with beautiful vocals and 3d imaging,and very fast.But I sold them because of their highly fatiguing treble,the same reason I sold the k701 and the unnaturalness in portraying strings right,they don't sound sharp as with dynamic iems.

Apr 10, 2010 at 9:15 PM Post #719 of 1,585
I remember seeing your ad as I was thinking of buying CK10s at that time but by the time I decided to buy a pair they were already sold so I bought it brand new from Onecall. Anyway, I think you would have enjoyed CK10s so much more if you tried them with monster tri-flanges as I think they took CK10s to another level in terms of neutrality and sibilance. If it wasn't for them, I too would have considered selling them as soon as I get my PFEs back from Phonak but now I think I'll keep both since most of the things I didn't like about CK10s were fixed with the monster tri-flanges. Strings and piano sound so much better with them and harshness is almost nonexistent while not losing any airiness. Something I wasn't able to fix with my K701s too.

Apr 10, 2010 at 9:51 PM Post #720 of 1,585
Actually there is another reason beside the harsh treble that I sold them,the deep fit.
Anything that goes very deep in the ear like the ck10 cause me ear pressure and my ears get instantly blocked after 30 minutes.I considered getting se530 or an ety because I need isolation very much in university and while commuting and I love to listen at very low volume ,but I dismissed them for that reason and decided to live with my ie8 with it's shalow fit that suits me and crappy isolation.Fx500 also cause some discomfort to me because of the slightly deep fit but nothing borhersm like the ck10.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back