Audio Technica ATH-CK10
Mar 22, 2010 at 12:48 PM Post #666 of 1,585
So, I had some time with my custom tips, and...I love ck10+custom tips
ksc75smile.gif
First, comfort and isolation is improved. These were pretty comfortable without custom tips, but now, they are even more ^^.
I still don't know if I have the amount of bass you guys get with triple flange, but I get as much bass as with the sony hybrids, which is, enough. But, IMO, it is still lacking in sub-bass. So, no improvements in the bass department.
Other than this, better soundstage precision (location of sound), and, details are now even more noticeable.
So, yup, custom tips are really worth it, and I like ck10's a lot
biggrin.gif
Will post some photos later if you guys want.

Mar 22, 2010 at 2:18 PM Post #668 of 1,585
Monster Triple Flange Tips work absolutely excellent. I have been trying them the past couple of days, the isolation and bass have improved considerably without affecting the sound signature of the mids or highs. They Monster Triple Flanges can feel slight intrusive. I was really enjoying my Sony Hybrids, super comfortable..but they just dont assist in the low end frequencies enough.

Mar 27, 2010 at 3:44 PM Post #670 of 1,585
Quote:

Originally Posted by sk3383 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Monster Triple Flange Tips work absolutely excellent. I have been trying them the past couple of days, the isolation and bass have improved considerably without affecting the sound signature of the mids or highs. They Monster Triple Flanges can feel slight intrusive. I was really enjoying my Sony Hybrids, super comfortable..but they just dont assist in the low end frequencies enough.

Exactly!

Mar 27, 2010 at 4:16 PM Post #671 of 1,585
Quote:

Originally Posted by sk3383 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I agree 100%. I've been using the Monster triples on these for about the past 3 weeks.They give me the best isolation and nice punchy,controlled and accurate sounding bass,while not becoming unbalanced sounding, and i like it a lot. if i could calm the sibilance just a little bit more these might edge out my HJE900's for most time spent in-ear.
I'm finding that for the most part file quality has the most impact on enjoyment with these for me. The music i enjoy the least with 'em is stuff i've used up iTunes gift cards on. Maybe aac files just don't play nice with these phones and my ears. I like 320 bit mp3's created from my own cd's best on these.(and overall) Anybody else have any thoughts on how different levels of file types and quality effect their interpretation of how these sound?

Mar 27, 2010 at 8:36 PM Post #672 of 1,585
Just got these babies. My first impression is that they're much smaller than I imagined them to be. I guess it's true that the picture adds a few pounds although it would be a few milligram in this case.
biggrin.gif

As for the sound, with the sony hybrids, they have very good depth all across the frequency and I think they have good bass as far as I'm concerned. I'm certainly not missing any details in the bass department. Drum kicks, bass guitar, thumping bass, they are all there and I find them enough for my needs.

However, I find the mids to be a little veiled or rather distant. Listening to some songs gave me the impression that the sound is toned-down as if someone dialed down the engage-o-meter. I was kinda hoping to find the aggressiveness of the AD2000s here but it wasn't quite there. I also detect some sibilance in some songs but it wasn't too bad to call it a deal breaker. They're only present on brightly engineered recordings which I don't have many.

I have been using PFEs exclusively for the past year and I just sent them to Phonak for a replacement (hence forcing me to get an extra pair of IEMs) but right now I wouldn't call these a huge upgrade from PFEs. In my experience, they sounded more balanced, and engaging when needed to. Also classical music sounded so good on PFEs but I think CK10s are just ok on that front.

It's too early to give any final words and I plan to do a thorough comparison once I get my PFEs back from Phonak but at this point, I'd say I'm a little underwhelmed. That doesn't mean they are bad and I'd definitely recommend these phones to other people but they didn't quite live up to my expectations. (maybe it was just too high
tongue.gif
) Hopefully these will get better with some time.

Mar 27, 2010 at 8:41 PM Post #673 of 1,585
How deeply in are you wearing them? What you're describing sounds like what I hear with tips that are 1 size larger than they need to be and a shallower fit.

Mar 27, 2010 at 8:47 PM Post #674 of 1,585
@analogbox: veiled/distant mids is the last thing I would describe them as. I too had the AD2000 recently, and the AD2000 is definitely more forward and more aggressive. I am not sure any IEM can even offer you the aggressiveness of the AD2000. The CK10 is more aggressive sounding than the CK100, even though the CK100 has more forward mids. Maybe more time is needed since you might be to use to the AD2000's mids.

Mar 27, 2010 at 8:53 PM Post #675 of 1,585
Quote:

Originally Posted by ljokerl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How deeply in are you wearing them? What you're describing sounds like what I hear with tips that are 1 size larger than they need to be and a shallower fit.

I have the middle sized tips on right now. I also tried the small sized tips but they just don't make a good seal and fit.

Quote:

Originally Posted by AwakenedBeing /img/forum/go_quote.gif
@analogbox: veiled/distant mids is the last thing I would describe them as. I too had the AD2000 recently, and the AD2000 is definitely more forward and more aggressive. I am not sure any IEM can even offer you the aggressiveness of the AD2000. The CK10 is more aggressive sounding than the CK100, even though the CK100 has more forward mids. Maybe more time is needed since you might be to use to the AD2000's mids.

Yes. It could be that my ears need to adjust to the new phones. Although I don't use AD2000s much now, I just love it's aggressiveness and musicality. AD2000s are the last thing on my mind when it comes to balanced sounding but what it can do to the sound of the guitar is purely magical. It's funny because I'm here trying catch two birds at the same time; I want balanced phones to enjoy the full spectrum of classical music and yet I want aggressive phones that brings energy in rock-n-roll music but PFEs did that quite beautifully, and so did ER-4Ss. Hopefully CK10s can pull it off too.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back