Audio Technica ATH-CK10
Feb 20, 2010 at 2:39 PM Post #466 of 1,585
Quote:

Originally Posted by attika89 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi guys!
Now the case is that I'm almost ready to buy the CK10, but I'm not 100% sure...(never will)
Do you know any place that still has them for ~$200?

And one more question:
Should I get Sony hybrids or some dual/triple flange tips for them?

(also posted this in my original thread)

Re the CK10 availability at the $200 price point, it would be a good idea to read over the past few pages, would have saved you some time.

As for tips, depends on what works for you. I'd get both, when you get the CK10s.

Feb 20, 2010 at 3:39 PM Post #467 of 1,585
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Re the CK10 availability at the $200 price point, it would be a good idea to read over the past few pages, would have saved you some time.

Sorry for that
redface.gif

So we have to wait for them to be in stock again....
rolleyes.gif

Quote:

As for tips, depends on what works for you. I'd get both, when you get the CK10s.

OK thanks! I think I'll try the sony hybrids first

Feb 21, 2010 at 7:55 PM Post #469 of 1,585
Quote:

Originally Posted by mark2410 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
going back to the bass thing, i find these rather bass light. they arent super bass light but they really do even out a bit with a bass boost

Of course everyone has their own preferences as far as the "right" amount of bass, or treble, extension for them; however, I find the bass of the 10's to be "there" when the recordings call for it, and out of the way when they don't. It may also have something to do with the different types of music we all prefer.

Having said that, the one thing that I've noticed with these is this: A good "seal" doesn't not necessarily mean a good "fit". It's a bit contrary to what I've always thought about IEMs, but I've noticed that although I can get a "seal" without the IEMs inserted in deep, a la Etys, both the bass and sound definitely come to life with the deep, inserted, seal. Also, I need the volume set close to midway on my iPod Classic for the sound to come alive.

I don't think any of the other IEMs I've ever owned have been this finicky as far as proper "fit" is concerned.

I know it's a total PIA, but you might consider playing around with the amount of insertion some more. It might change your mind...or not.

Feb 21, 2010 at 9:17 PM Post #471 of 1,585
Quote:

Originally Posted by AudioDwebe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Of course everyone has their own preferences as far as the "right" amount of bass, or treble, extension for them; however, I find the bass of the 10's to be "there" when the recordings call for it, and out of the way when they don't. It may also have something to do with the different types of music we all prefer.

Having said that, the one thing that I've noticed with these is this: A good "seal" doesn't not necessarily mean a good "fit". It's a bit contrary to what I've always thought about IEMs, but I've noticed that although I can get a "seal" without the IEMs inserted in deep, a la Etys, both the bass and sound definitely come to life with the deep, inserted, seal. Also, I need the volume set close to midway on my iPod Classic for the sound to come alive.

I don't think any of the other IEMs I've ever owned have been this finicky as far as proper "fit" is concerned.

I know it's a total PIA, but you might consider playing around with the amount of insertion some more. It might change your mind...or not.

I am in total agreement with this. When I use short tips, such as Klipsh gels or hybrids, the bass is nowhere near as obvious as when I use the Shure triple flanges, which obviously are a much deeper tip. I stopped using the EQ on my Sony X with the CK10s once I found the tri-flange solution. On occasion, I will turn it to +1, but very rarely.

I think you said it right AudioDwebe, good seal and good fit are, oddly enough, different. I know there are a few CK10 owners a couple of pages back who reported the same thing happened via the bass when they tried the tri-flanges.

Feb 21, 2010 at 10:41 PM Post #473 of 1,585
I keep hearing about these tri flanges. I may have to purchase a set eventualy to hear what some of you are hearing.

Feb 22, 2010 at 12:27 AM Post #474 of 1,585
Quote:

Originally Posted by AudioDwebe /img/forum/go_quote.gif

x2 I was trying to say the say the same thing on a different thread by saying that just because someone got the proper seal didnt necessarily mean that one got the proper sound. Like others, I had no problem getting a perfect seal with the stock tips and sony hydrids but it was only when I switched to the shure tri-flanges (top flange removed so they are actually bi-flanges now) that I got the proper sound or fit as you put it. And even with the shures, a 1 or 2 mm difference in insertion depth makes a huge change in how the lower end is presented.

Feb 22, 2010 at 12:48 AM Post #475 of 1,585
Quote:

Yes, good idea. Calling someone an a-hole? Sarcasm?

Yeah, you can talk to your pals at the bar that way, they know where you're coming from (assuming YOU do...). But here on the forum, we generally don't know each other that way. So a good rule of thumb, before you hit "send", would be to ask yourself if you would say that to a stranger on the street. If not, you might consider finding a less strong way of expressing yourself.

IMHO, of course...

Kevin

Feb 22, 2010 at 12:53 AM Post #477 of 1,585
Quote:

Originally Posted by javajive /img/forum/go_quote.gif
x2 I was trying to say the say the same thing on a different thread by saying that just because someone got the proper seal didnt necessarily mean that one got the proper sound. Like others, I had no problem getting a perfect seal with the stock tips and sony hydrids but it was only when I switched to the shure tri-flanges (top flange removed so they are actually bi-flanges now) that I got the proper sound or fit as you put it. And even with the shures, a 1 or 2 mm difference in insertion depth makes a huge change in how the lower end is presented.

So very true! Taming the IE-8 was a long tedious process to get everything into some kind of balance. On the other hand, with the e-Q7, I put the supplied conforms and shoved 'em home. I got an excellent balance right away!

BTW, so far I have to say the e-Q7 is a very easy phone to like...

Kevin

Feb 22, 2010 at 1:02 AM Post #478 of 1,585
Quote:

Originally Posted by rawrster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
^

?? tstarn06 wasn't even the one who made that comment that was supposed to be sarcasm..

I believe he knew that and was commenting on my comment that calling someone an a-hole is very hard to pawn off as sarcasm in a post/email/IM, etc.

Feb 22, 2010 at 1:10 AM Post #479 of 1,585
Quote:

Originally Posted by rawrster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
^

?? tstarn06 wasn't even the one who made that comment that was supposed to be sarcasm..

Right. He was one who objected to it and my comment agreed with tstarn06. The "unsolicited advice" was directed at the maker of the "sarcastic" comment.

Kevin

Feb 22, 2010 at 1:14 AM Post #480 of 1,585
ohh ok..It sounded like you were directing it at him which is why I was confused.

On another note..decided to get some cheap triple flange on ebay that fits the ck10 so I'll see if the tips are decent or not. For $2 shipped not much to lose really. They gave me free shipping from hong kong so I'll probably forget that I bought them until they come. If it does increase the bass and soundstage like when I read average joe's post in the other thread I may have found the iem for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back