Audio Technica ATH-CK10
Mar 31, 2016 at 6:59 AM Post #1,576 of 1,585
I asked plusSound about the recabling, while it is possible, they charged a high price ($100 for recabling) which I did not find too compelling, even if I love the ATH-CK10 to death. Sure, they're a high quality cable maker but I can't help but think that costing $100usd just to recable, and it doesn't even include the cable, you'd have to buy a separate one, was too much.

Feel free to share some other 3rd party headphone/earphone modding company or person that you know would have a better price.

Check with BTG Audio.

Mar 31, 2016 at 2:12 PM Post #1,577 of 1,585
the right side of my CK10s were starting to sound dimmer and more spaced out compared to the left, so I thought maybe the drivers were finally deteriorating and dying after long hard 5 years of service. Nope! turns out that the filter was so dirty it was blocking up sound. I replaced said filter with the green Etymotic ones that came with my hf5 (which I bought as a replacement for the CK10s, they're not bad but certainly not on par), it fits perfectly and I can hear no penalty or difference in the SQ. Gonna leave the left one for now as it still works fine.

Very glad to have revived my all-time and probably forever favourite IEMs.

Oh and I strongly advise against trying to clean and reuse the original metal filters. It's a filter of minute precision. The more you clean it the dirtier it gets.

I did the same thing I put the green etymotic filters in the ck10. How would you compare the sound compared to the original filters?

May 2, 2016 at 7:45 AM Post #1,578 of 1,585
Managed to get an almost brand new pair. 
biggrin.gif

Jul 13, 2016 at 9:52 AM Post #1,580 of 1,585
well, time to sell my ck10 as i need to fund my next custom purchase (at 1200 euros 
tongue.gif
 )

mint condition , look and work like new (as they were never my main iem)

http://www.head-fi.org/t/814035/for-sale-audio-technica-ath-ck10

Feb 25, 2017 at 11:44 PM Post #1,581 of 1,585
Hey, guys. Do any CK10 users have recommendations for current IEM's that can rival/surpass the CK10 in terms of imaging, instrument separation, etc? I am a professional gamer and am looking to switch away from full sized over ear headphones in favor of IEM's (the actual soundstage size isn't what's important for competitive gaming, but rather how detailed and accurately placed the individual sounds are within that specific soundstage). I previously used the Etymotic HF5, but unfortunately they've since broken on me. I was considering an upgrade to the ER4SR, but have read that IEM's like the CK10 surpass the Etymotic's in terms of pure 3D placement / imaging. Are there any readily available IEM's today that can be a successor to the CK10, in this regard? One final note, (as picky as it may sound) I need an IEM that can be worn straight down, as over the ear designs will not work for my setup requirements. Thanks in advance for any help!

Feb 26, 2017 at 1:14 AM Post #1,582 of 1,585
I bought the ATH IM 02s and like them better then the CK 10s. I think you would like them, lots of detail, bigger Soundstage than the CK10s.

Feb 26, 2017 at 2:29 AM Post #1,583 of 1,585
I bought the ATH IM 02s and like them better then the CK 10s. I think you would like them, lots of detail, bigger Soundstage than the CK10s.

Thanks for the suggestion! My only concern with a lot of the ATH IEM's is that they seem to be worn mostly over ear, when instead I need something that is worn cable down. Do you feel the positional accuracy of the multi-driver BA (TWFK, etc.) IEM's are better than that of the Ety's? Just looking for an IEM with the best positional accuracy, cable down, around / under $300... that is readily available in 2017. Thank you again!

Feb 26, 2017 at 5:27 AM Post #1,584 of 1,585
You might try a pair of Ortofon EQ 7s. I used them for years and they are excellent and also the cables hang straight down. I still have a pair of Etys but don't use them anymore.

Oct 11, 2019 at 9:03 PM Post #1,585 of 1,585
Please help to fix my CK10!!!

My beloved CK10 have bit the dust but I still hold out hopes of fixing them. The left monitor was choppy for a while, but could be corrected by fiddling with the cable at the monitor head, strongly suggesting that the issue was a faulty wire connection in the monitor. But now it's completely out. I had a look in the jack and even replaced it just to be sure but no dice. So, it's highly likely that the wire needs re-soldering inside the monitor housing.

I removed the housing cap and everything looks packed so tight in there (see image from Stuartfang above). I can't even see the wires, never mind try and re-solder. I could possibly try and surgically cut open the plastic casing, re-solder, then glue it back together. However, I wanted to ask if anyone had done this and had any tips.

It's definitely not the filters as they are still in great condition as this pair only had maybe two years of use, owing to me being able to buy two new pairs from Audio Technica in 2013 and I had these as my backup, only starting to use them two years ago. And I realize now that someone has stolen my other pair goddammit, most likely my ex girlfriend as she's the only one who knew where I kept them.

I could also just get them re-cabelled professionally. Has anyone done that? Any advice on this or the attempted repair is appreciated.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back